NHTSA — Steering Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 2 of 14)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 14)

Oct 012015

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving at an unknown speed and making a right turn, the steering wheel seized. In addition "power steering" was displayed across the message board. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 200,000.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Dec 142015

G6

When driving in wet weather days and the car is driven over puddles of water on the road the steering wheel locks and can not continue unless I turn the key off and then on. Vehicle is in motion and in city street driving. Also, when applying the brakes, the car makes an unusual sound and it comes from the ABS module located in the engine compartment.

- Castroville, TX, USA

Nov 302015

G6

When starting vehicle ( not in motion ) lost all control of steering. Instrument panel displayed power sterling issue. The next morning after setting 12 hr I start the vehicle and it performed well. (in motion).

- Coleman, MI, USA

Nov 102015

G6

Noticed a popping noise when turning either way sounding like coming from steering colum.

- Baxter, KY, USA

Nov 082015

G6

Started feeling a popping sound when stoped at a light and or tuning, feels like coming from steering colum..

- Baxter, KY, USA

Oct 012015

G6

Sitting at a light and power steering goes out. Then I have to turn car off and turn back on for it to reset itself. I have taken my car to dealer about 4 times for this problem. And its continues to happen. Sometimes I'm stationary, sometimes I'm in motion and have to pull over shut it down and restart it.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Oct 052015

G6

The vehicle steering locked locked up while my wife was driving which made it difficult to steer the vehicle. She was in St. Louis near the airport and going low speed at the time of the look up. She was to turn the car off and restart the vehicle to resume normal driving. The vehicle was driven to a local dealership and diagnosed with the problems as stated in recent recall of similar vehicles.. I was told by the dealership the special service message number 10183 would pay for claim if the problem existed at 150000 miles however no notification was sent. This appears to be a known problem for this steering unit and I fill GM should extend the recall to cover all the affected vehicles. The special service message number 10183 applies to this

- Paducah, KY, USA

Oct 022015

G6

After backing out of a parking space and turning my wheel all the way to the right to drive forward my car lost power steering making it hard to manuver my car. Then I put my car in park and turned off the ignition. I turned my car on and put it in drive and my power steering was back to normal. Six months before I experienced the same thing when backing out of my driveway and turned the car off and then back on and my steering was okay. I didn't think anything of it then, but now I am concerned because I received a notice the middle of September. Today, I called GM see if I could get my car fixed free of charge, but because my car had over 150,000 miles they refused to help me. I am concerned for safety and I believe GM needs to lengthen the time frame.

- Louisiana, MO, USA

Sep 042015

G6

Once I start my vehicle the power steering warning indicator appears on the radio screen and my steering wheel shakes from side to side. Sometimes if I turn the car off and re start it the wheel will not shake from side to side and it will drive fine. I experienced a sudden loss of electric power steering while driving on interstate. My vehicle became harder for me to steer and then it got easy for me to steer. This happens all of the time when I am driving at a low or high speed and I am afraid I will crash my vehicle. My steering wheel moves back and forth without me controlling it and it locks up on me causing me to slam on the brakes to control my vehicle.

- Bedford, OH, USA

Apr 152015

G6

My steering wheel keeps locking up on me while I'm driving it also jerks back the other way when I attempt to make a turn while driving which causes me to slam on my brakes in the middle of traffic. I found out my vehicle has three open recalls on it.I took my vehicle up to gregg young Chevrolet they attempted to fix the recalls no cost at all. But I'm still having the same problems with my vehicle steering wheel locking up as I'm driving. It locks up on every time im driving and I don't feel safe what so every driving my vechicle

- Omaha, NE, USA

Nov 172014

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was taken to the dealer for the recall repair. The vehicle was repaired. Upon receiving the vehicle, the contact stated that the steering wheel was not functioning properly. The contact stated that the steering wheel was misaligned. While driving the vehicle, the steering wheel had to be pulled towards the driver to keep the vehicle straight. The contact also stated that there was an abnormal rattling sound coming from the steering column. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The steering wheel was adjusted and tightened; however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 52,500.

- South Bay, FL, USA

Jun 302015

G6

I was in an accident on my way home from work. Since the accident, when I turn my steering wheel to the right, there is a screeching or squealing sound. The sound is present when turning the wheel to the left but no where near as bad. I told the insurance adjuster when he came out and he told me to tell my mechanic. During the first round of my car going to the shop, my mechanic couldn't recreate the sound and sent the car back. A couple weeks go by and the sound continues to get louder. I called my insurance company and took the car to the mechanic and had him listen to the sound. Prior to dropping off my car back to the mechanic, the car started getting harder to steer, especially at lower speeds. My mechanic and another insurance adjuster couldn't reproduce the sound but my mechanic told the adjuster hat he had heard the sound. The adjuster told my mechanic about the recall and advised that I should make a complaint.

- Pgh, PA, USA

May 152015

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving at various speeds, the power steering warning light illuminated continuously. The failure recurred continuously. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the torque sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The failure mileage was approximately 30,000.

- Westfield, MA, USA

May 082013

G6

When driving at low speeds (usually below 20 mph) the power steering locks and I have no control of the steering. This has happened occasionally over the past 2-3 years if I can remember correctly. It usually happens when the vehicle is a stop (ie, stop sign, red light, drive-thru). Each time is has happened I've had to pull the vehicle over, turn the vehicle off, then restart the ignition. It most recently happened two days ago (7/13/15) and has happened approx. 10 times since I've had the vehicle (since 2011). Luckily, it has never happened during high speeds such as driving on the interstate but I fear that if it does I would be put in a very dangerous situation.

- Dothan, AL, USA

Jun 092015

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the check engine and power steering warning indicators were illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. MA 10/19/2015

- Morganton, NC, USA

Jun 052015

G6

After starting the car the power steering indicator shows up on the radio and the steering wheel shakes side to side. While driving there is still a slight shake in the steering wheel and there is what feels like a jump( almost like a missing tooth in a gear). Called GM and they told me there is no recall or safety bulletin for my model G6 when I have read about a lot of these incidents online. Only had the car 4 months and they want me to pay almost $1300 to have it fixed outta my pocket.

- Bath, PA, USA

Jun 072013

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving at any speed and making a right or left turn, a popping sound emitted from the steering wheel. In addition, the seat belt locked up and the air bag light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Monticello, FL, USA

Apr 152015

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. When the steering wheel was turned, there was an abnormal noise coming from the front end of the vehicle intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 107,000.

- Denison, TX, USA

Jun 072015

G6

While driving the vehicle at 50mph the front end shook violently the A/C then went from cold to hot and then the car would not allow acceleration and the power steering went out. It continued to happen multiple times in a 10 minute drive to work. Then again on the way home. This can cause a accident if not fixed. I noticed that there was a recall for this but my VIN says no open recalls. Can you assist me with this issue?

- Leesburg, FL, USA

May 062015

G6

The turn signal switch / cancel cam stopped functioning on my original owner 2008 G6. Signals flash but stay on well after a turn is made. This should be another recall as it appears to be a common problem on these cars. Recalls are needed on the faulty headlight wiring harness and the intermediate steering shaft items as well. GM needs to be held accountable today.

- Brandon, FL, USA