NHTSA — Steering Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 8 of 14)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 8 of 14)

Jul 082013

G6

I bought my 2008 Pontiac G6 new with 3 miles on it. For the first 30,000 miles I had zero issues with the car. Since then it has had problems. The first was the steering column, while at a stop light the wheel began to turn itself. Steering became difficult to control and so I pulled over and used my cell to record the movement it was making on its own. The dealership replaced a computer module in the steering column.( after showing the video to the service manager and threatening to take it to the local news network) soon after the popping began in the column while turning. The module was under warranty but the "lube kit" for the popping in the column had to be out of my wallet to fix. ( oh how I love the ass hats at GM ). still have popping when turning. Then came the randomness to the headlights working. ( or not working ) replaced bulbs in low beam ( both sides ) several times and have noticed corrosion in connectors. Now the brake light are constantly on. The lights being on causes the cruise control to not work or shut off when lights activate on their own. I have also noticed my rear passenger caliper is sticking and eating pads, im on caliper number 3 as of today with countless pads and zero help from GM without having to fork over lots of money to fix a car (that obviously by the hundreds of complaints) was horribly built. Its pretty plain to see corners were cut in the production of this heap.

- Montross , VA, USA

Jul 222010

G6

My 2008 Pontiac G6 has had a "clunk" in the steering for a very long time now. Every turn I can feel it and hear it, and it worries me. Looking it up online a lot of people are having this issue and it needs to be fixed. I think there should be a recall and make this right. It is unsafe and makes the drive less pleasant.

- Gaylord, MI, USA

Jul 112013

G6 4-cyl

The steering wheel began moving on its own, actually trying to wrestle control away from the driver and steer the car. The "power steering" warning light in the driver alert console came on along with the chime to alert the driver of an event. There is quite a bit of clunking as the steering wheel is moved back and forth as well as when the wheels, during the normal course of driving, apply force against the steering system. The power steering is applying force to counter it, as it should, but it should not be making all the noise that it is. The clunk arises when the direction changes and is most noticeable under slight movements, not during a turn. The rack-and-pinion, tie rods, struts, lower control arms and ball joints are all in great shape so it is not worn steering gear, it is before the rack-and-pinion. The power steering motor will apply enough force that it will make the car change lanes if the driver does not quickly react to it and turn the steering wheel to prevent the involuntary lane change. This car is dangerous, this is a serious safety issue which is unfortunately being downplayed by GM.

- Manvel, TX, USA

Jun 302013

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that there was a rattling noise when the vehicle was idle. In addition, the wheels moved erratically while the contact was driving at low speeds. The power steering assist warning light was also illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who replaced the power steering motor. The failure was corrected. The failure mileage was 77,417. The current mileage was 77,427.

- Alburqueque , NM, USA

Mar 292013

G6 4-cyl

Vehicle makes a constant popping noise when turning, braking, or accelerating. Sometimes the steering wheel locks when trying to turn it. Underneath driver and passenger floor board it feels like the bottom the car is falling off. The brakes squeak so bad. I have taken to three shops and everyone hears the noise but can figure out what is wrong. Sometimes when I get in the car the air is on full blast with no keys even in the ignition. This car needs to be recalled. I have read so many complaints about the same issues.

- Portage, IN, USA

Jun 132013

G6 4-cyl

Lost ability to control steering with swaying and shudder, slowed vehicle to get control.

- Comfort, TX, USA

May 202013

G6 4-cyl

99 percent of the time when I turn the wheel to the left I hear a loud popping and wining sound stopped by a car shop was told the steering dampers were going bad was told it happens a lot on this car I have been reading so many things about this they are all saying the same time to do something about it.

- Morrisville, NC, USA

May 082013

G6

While trying to pass an 18 wheeler up hill, the car down shifted into the passing gear, at 5000rpm all of the warning lights started flashing on the dashboard. I also lost power-steering. A week later while trying to parallel park, I lost power steering. No flashing lights just now power steering. It took all I could to turn the wheel.

- Blakeslee, PA, USA

Jan 012009

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that there was a rattling noise in the steering system. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing however, the cause of the failure was not determined. The dealer replaced the steering column, electronic steering module and the intermediate steering shaft twice but to no avail. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no further assistance. The failure mileage was 33,000. The current mileage was 73,000.

- North Las Vegas , NV, USA

Apr 142013

G6 4-cyl

I bought my Pontiac G6 almost 1 yr ago, at the time of purchase I noticed the clunk noise while turning mostly left turns, the dealer said it was nothing. So I have been driving it so far with no problems other than the clunk noise but one month ago I kept getting a radio signal to service traction control and my car felt like I was driving on ice and the wheel would shake by itself and was would stiffen up left to right, so I took it to the same dealer to fix it but the GM dealer said they were unsure what the problem was but noticed the that while in park and lifted off the ground the wheels looked like they were being turned and no one was in the car. They put in a $27 part a steering sensor kit and said they reset the brain of the car and since I have no warranty I paid $311. And not 24 hours after I drove off it is still happening, just hope it doesn't get worse this car I definitely have to keep both hands on the wheel.

- Truckee, CA, USA

Jun 142011

G6 4-cyl

This is my daughters car and she used it daily to travel back and forth to work. She began to hear a clicking noise when she turned in steering column. This continued for a few months without little fanfare or concern until unexpectedly on her way to a friends house the car would not turn according her. She was in the middle of a busy intersection and could not get the steering wheel to turn. She reached me by cell and I talked her thru the situation. We had a friend who works for dealership take it and drive it and he said there was something going on with the power steering. This problem has occurred on and off since that time and our GM dealer says it will cost $115 to run a diagnostic check. With all the concern and recalls recently on G6 models for 2006 models some kind of recall needs to happen for this 2008 G6. There is obviously a problem with these cars. We are struggling with sharing cars and I have experienced it first hand while driving her car. Please, help!!!,,,

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Apr 022013

G6 6-cyl

There is a problem with the Pontiac G6 power steering assist. The steering locks up and gets stiff causing it to become impossible to steer. I almost hit a parked car because the steering is so stiff that you cannot steer the car in the direction you want to go. There was a recall for this in all 2006 Pontiac but not 2008. I am writing today because this problem can cause a serious accident and GM needs to fix this problem asap before it causes a fatality. This part is not covered under the GM 100,000 powertrain warranty which is should be covered.

- Linden, NJ, USA

Mar 152013

G6

Making a right turn the car kept turning, I was unable to turn the steering wheel as it was locked. The car slammed into a tree damaging the front end along with the wheel rim. The can was towed and diagnosed as steer gear/racket pinion steering locked and needs to be replaced.

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Mar 122013

G6

I just purchased my 2008 Pontiac G6 and realized that there is a tight steering situation and a thunking noise in front end when steering. After doing some research, there are several forums that hundreds of people are having this problem with the intermediate steering shaft. It causes locked steering, very hard to turn the steering wheel and people have almost gotten into accidents and several have gotten into an accidents. After reading about all of the same complaints from several hundred if not thousands of people. I can not believe that there has not been a recall for this part. Especially when people are put in a hazardous situations from this part being faulty. Type in Pontiac G6 steering problems on "google" and see the thousands of complaints and everyone of them is the same issue. There are several different sites all with the same complaints.

- Silvis, IL, USA

Mar 082013

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the power steering assist malfunctioned, making it very difficult to steer the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the check engine warning lamp also illuminated and the digital display showed a power steering failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the power steering module needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was no longer under warranty. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 74,800 and the current mileage was 74,900. Updated 5/7/13 updated 05/28/2013

- Polk City , IA, USA

Mar 182010

G6 4-cyl

Starting in 09 when I purchased this car I've had problems and still to the current date (2/26/2013) I've had to replace the tie rods multiple times which result in new brakes and tires, which aren't cheap for this car! I recently went in today to get my cat converter replaced because the sensor was melting oh and again they tell me I need new brakes(shocker)-this is a safety issue none the less. I've spent about 7 grand in repairs all for the car to just be "ok" to drive for the time being. I'm not sure why this car was never recalled because it's a piece of junk! I have saved all the receipts from the dealership and it's astronomical how many times I've had to bring it in, let's just say the "guys at the shop" all know me by name..

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Feb 262013

G6

I have been experiencing intermittent power steering issues. My power steering light comes on every couple of days and a couple of times the power steering has gone out. If I turn off and then restart the car, it has been working, but I am concerned that it may go out when I'm driving. I did some research and see many other complaints about this same issue with other G6's.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 012008

G6 4-cyl

Upon the purchase of a brand new Pontiac G6 in 2008, I have had several problems from about the 5000 mile mark. It began with my tail lights staying on while driving, no matter what speed. When I apply the brakes, they would go off and come on while driving. A month later steering column started to knock when making turns, the dealership has regreased the shaft and the noise went away for a few weeks and has continued to make the noise. The dealer said it will not hurt anything and will not regrease it. All of these issues have been happening for 4 consecutive years. I have replaced several head lamps, once about every 2 months and wiring harness because they melt. The power steering started to go out in November of 2012 and several times since; it locks up and I am unable to drive it for a while and it just magically fixes itself. I had trouble putting my vehicle in park in January 2013 and my key would not come out of the ignition. I left it in for a few days and it came back out. Yesterday, February 23, 2013 the airbag service light has come on. We have checked all fuses, and there seems to be none out. The vehicle has never been in any accident not even a dent on the vehicle. I have never recieved a recall for the vehicle either. Maybe they are just not getting to me?

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Jul 022012

G6

I had my car for a year and have put 2500 in work on my front end, to still have problems with it. There is a knocking noise when I turn, just had my brakes, rotors replaces and they still grind when it rains. This is the 1st american made car I ever had and my last. This car is a piece of junk and should not me able to be sold. I paid cash for my car thinking I would be ahead, but all I had is a headache. I plan on trading it in and believe me my next car will not be american made. I thought I would support my country, but what for it doesn't care about us. I always take my cars to the dealer, but I cant afford to go every other week or once a month for problems with a car I just got with lessthen 60000 miles on it. This is on real. ## VIN failed

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 162012

G6

While turning to the right or left I hear a loud whinning noise for the steering column. The noise has come a lot louder the more I turn. I have started to hear the whinning noise while I am accelerating from a stop.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA