NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2009 Pontiac G6 (Page 2 of 2)

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 is starting to have the same problems as previous model years, including the headlights blowing out due to bad connectors.

The wiring harness connections aren't a big deal to replace, as long as your dealer or mechanic doesn't charge you an arm & a leg to "diagnose" the problem.

2009 Pontiac G6 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac G6:

2009 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 312012

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the vehicle was shifted into park however, continued moving forward. The emergency brake was applied to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The contact was informed that the shift cable would need to be replaced and that there was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 09V073000 (power train:automatic transmission:lever and linkage:column shift). The manufacturer was notified and had the vehicle towed to a dealer. The contact was informed that her VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 69,000.

- Macon, GA, USA

Aug 232012

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the vehicle had (NHTSA campaign id number 09V073000 power train: Automatic transmission: Lever and linkage: Column shift) performed, however the remedy failed to repair the problem. The contact mentioned that when the transmission was shift to reverse and park the vehicle moved forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnose that the shift cable gear selector was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 58,735.

- Tampa , TX, USA

Sep 232011

G6 6-cyl

2009 Pontiac G6 GT 3.5L V6 - on 09/23/11 when I put my car into park, the transmission was still in drive position. The shifter handle was loose and would not lock into P, R, N, D. turned off the engine and could remove keys but when I tried to crank the car again it wouldn't crank. Had the car towed to a local dealer and they told me that the shifter cable was broken. Had the cable replaced along with a new bracket. On 07/24/12 (83600 miles) I am having the same problem again!! I called the same dealer and he told me that there is a 12 month or 12000 mile warranty on parts and labor but unfortunately I had already driven 22000 miles in the last 10 months. Dealer said they could check my car on diagnostics to tell me what could be causing the problem for $90 per hour. I can't afford to pay for them to tell me just what is causing the problem. I searched 2009 recalls and found one for my car, saying that the shifter cable clip may not be in place and that it could cause the vehicle transmission to be in drive while the shifter is in park. Sometimes my shifter had a little difficulty to get out of park position, like it was locked up. So what in the world is causing my shifter cable to break twice in a 10 month period"? is anyone else having the same problem as me?"

- Foxworth, MS, USA

Apr 122012

G6 4-cyl

My brake lights stick or remain on even when they are not being pressed making it appear that im riding my brakes. I have been pulled over by the police once already. I have replaced the brake light switch twice and it works for a couple of days only. I have seen a recall in the 2005 and 2006 models but it is still occuring in the newer models. I have seen hundreds of blogs about this problem in this particular model of car. This is just an accident waiting to happen when your brake lights arent working correctly. As well as the car getting stuck in park.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Dec 232011

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6 GT. The contact stated that the vehicle could not be shifted out of neutral. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the dealer confirmed that the shift control cable failed and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted and confirmed that the VIN failed to qualify for repairs under NHTSA campaign id number:09V073000 (power train:automatic transmission:lever and linkage:column shift). The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 58,315 and the current mileage was 58,400.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Nov 282008

G6

I am a insurance adjuster for erie insurance, on 11/28/2008 our insured parked her rental car a 2008 Pontiac G6 in front of her home and placed the car in park. She exited the car only to find that the car began to roll away and struck a lamp post in her neighbors yard. The damage to the car was $2097.32 & the damage to the neighbors property was $1764.27.

- Warrendal, PA, USA