NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2009 Pontiac G6 (Page 2 of 6) Notes: The 2009 is starting to have the same problems as previous model years, including the headlights blowing out due to bad connectors.

The wiring harness connections aren't a big deal to replace, as long as your dealer or mechanic doesn't charge you an arm & a leg to "diagnose" the problem.

2009 Pontiac G6 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac G6:

2009 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Oct 152014

G6 6-cyl

2009 Pontiac G6. Consumer sent in repair invoice. Recall # 14V252000.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jan 092015

G6 6-cyl

Drivers side headlight went out while driving in very bad weather conditions at night. Replaced bulb and it worked for 2 days before the same thing happened. Replaced bulb again and it worked for about 10 days before it happened again. Now learning that this happens a lot on this car because the harness connector is melting and needs to be replaced but due to constant overheating it will not permanently fix this problem. GM knows of this problem but deems it not their responsibility. Does there have to be a fatality before Pontiac/GM takes this seriously?

- Garden City, MI, USA

Jul 012014

G6 6-cyl

Issues with low beam headlights randomly going out then coming back on at first for a couple of months, then went out completely. Replaced bulbs (low beam) with same problems. Finally found that the low beam light sockets (primarily passenger side) were arcing and shorting out causing bulbs not to work. Recall should be issued to have GM remedy this problem. This is a chronic problem with this line of cars!

- Stow, OH, USA

Nov 242014

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Dulueth, MN, USA

Jun 042009

G6 6-cyl

Head lights keep going out...the wires connected with the low beam lights are burnt and corroded. I have replace these parts 20 times since 2009. This time on January 1, 2015 the wires and connectors are to burnt to repair and the dealer ship said I will have to buy the whole harness kit assembly instead of just the wires. Why should I, this problems is far and wide on the internet with the Pontiac G6. I travel with my job and I have experienced multiple times both headlights going out on me and I had to use the high beam just to get home. Please let GM know and issue some kind of recall before I die on the highway due to these faulty headlight wires.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Dec 312014

G6 4-cyl

The drivers side, low beam headlight has been replaced several times. The wiring harness melts! this seems to be a common complaint with G6 owners.

- Jenison, MI, USA

Nov 252014

G6 6-cyl

2009 Pontiac G6 passenger side headlight would intermittently go off and finally stayed off. After removing the headlight assembly, I found a melted connect to the light bulb itself. I found a replacement connector at Napa auto parts and replaced it. It worked for 3 weeks and went out again. Upon opening up the light, I found the new connector melted again. There is a wiring problem causing this connector to overheat. Safety concern is if both fail over time, the driver will not have any headlights for nighttime driving. Also, the headlights are part of the daytime driving lights.

- Converse, TX, USA

Sep 012014

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving various speeds, a burning odor emitted inside the vehicle. The contact discovered that the gear console melted. In addition, the shift lever failed to shift into the drive position. In addition, the contact mentioned that the ignition key failed to disengage from the vehicle intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 64,000. The VIN was not available.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 232014

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the air conditioner shut off independently and the thermostat would not display the correct temperature. In addition, the contact stated that the power locks failed to operate and as a result, the key fob had to be used in order to lock or unlock the doors when inside the vehicle. The mechanic diagnosed that connectors or wires needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 28,667.

- Minden , LA, USA

Oct 172014

The dim headlights keep going out I have replaced them 3 times and still go out I believe it's in the wiring because if you hit the headlight they will soon come back on. I've read the wiring harness gets to hot and melts the wires seems like a fired hazard to me.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Feb 102010

G6 6-cyl

Unfortunately I have experienced about all of the issues that are being complained about on here. The light connectors melting and blowing the headlights, the electrical system messing up and frying 7 brains, the brake lights not working properly, the steering acting funny just to name a few, and although I have taken the car to the dealership several times since 2010 to have these issues worked on, I continue to have the problems. I think that it is ridiculous that car manufacturing companies are allowed to let these vehicles stay on the road without doing recalls on these dangerous and possibly fatal problems. For years I wanted one of these cars after they came out and now it has been the biggest waste of my time and money. But..that's ok! as soon as I have a wreck or something happens due to one of these problems I will be dialing up my lawyer!!!

- Palmer, TN, USA

Oct 012013

The driver side headlight burned out. I checked the bulb, and the connectors were burned and melted on the light as well as the harness. I changed the harness myself, and the same thing happened approximately one year later. There is a severe malfunction in the electrical component of the headlight system. I am afraid if this continues to occur, it could start a fire in the vehicle. Possibly while it is being driven.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Oct 242014

G6 4-cyl

Blinker switch won't turn off after you turn corner.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Jul 012014

G6 4-cyl

Driver side, rear passenger door won't lock or unlock. Also, a couple months later, the driver door did the same thing.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Oct 152014

G6 6-cyl

Driver side low-beam headlight not working. Replaced bulb in 23 November 2013 and again on 5 October 2014. Light went out again on 15 October 2014. Dealer replaced headlight lamp socket as socket was burnt out. Internet searches show numerous issues with Pontiac G6 headlamps having issues with headlight lamp sockets... electrical arcing within socket causing carbon build up and lamp failure. This should be a recall item by GM on this vehicle to fix this safety issue.

- Kokomo, IN, USA

Oct 072014

On October 7, 2014, as I was waiting for the stop light to change. My car turned off and then on again. On the following day, after I parked my car, I went to start it, and it didn't crank at all. I went to get the battery, starter, and alternator checked, they all passed with flying colors.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 192014

G6 6-cyl

I was driving down the road when the driver's side headlight went out. I have replaced the same headlight at least three times. Today, 26 Sept 2014, I attempted to replace the headlight bulb again, but found that the connector has melted. I'm concerned that my other headlight may go out while driving, so I will see what the dealership says after the vehicle inspection. I have heard that it can cost between 400 to 500 dollars. Please have this investigated before someone gets hurt or killed.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 182013

G6 4-cyl

As I was driving towards my home after dark, my drivers side headlight (low-beam) went out. Because I was on a rural road, I turned on my high-beams. In less than a minute an I went back to my low-beams due to an oncoming car and I had no low-beam lights at all. I immediately turned my high-beams back on so I could be seen by the other car. After returning home I informed my husband of the problem. The next morning he checked the headlight lamps and found that the electrical plug/sockets to both low-beam lights were shorted-out, burned, and melted. While at a local auto-parts store trying to get replacement pig-tails to repair the lights I talked to one of the sales persons who also works at a local GM dealership. He told me that they see 6 to 10 cars a week that have had this same problem. This is a very dangerous situation and it appears to be very common.

- Cambridge, OH, USA

Sep 092014

G6 6-cyl

September 10, 2014 dear National Highway Traffic Safety Administration & GM customer assistance center, I have been the customer of two General Motors recalls. First recall notice was for a 2007 Chevrolet cobalt, ignition fix and 2009 Pontiac G6 for a body control module connection to the brake apply sensor. I had difficulty waiting for the parts for the Chevy cobalt. First call I made to the dealership, was greeted with the following response (from the dealership) call back in April (my call was made in February ? when I received the letter). I called in may, they still didn't have the parts for the repair, and they were unwilling to put my name on a list to call me back. I finally called another dealership " they ordered the part and called me back and repaired my vehicle. So, when the second recall notice was received for the Pontiac G6, I called the second dealership ? where I finally had resolution to the first recall. This dealership is 30 minutes from my residence. The first dealership was 2 miles from my home. I called, they had the parts and I made an appointment for 3:00pm on Tuesday. I took time off work, arrived at the dealership, and I was told they were out of parts. How does that happen? when you make an appointment, shouldn't your part be set-aside" I don't understand the un-professionalism from the dealership.

- Flint, MI, USA

Sep 012014

G6 4WD 6-cyl

Letter from constituent regarding her Pontiac G6 coupe; she's having problems selling her vehicle due to a recall on the vehicle; request the advice as to the best course of action that can be taken against GM for the swift resolution of this matter.

- Miamisburg, OH, USA