NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2009 Pontiac G6 (Page 4 of 6) Notes: The 2009 is starting to have the same problems as previous model years, including the headlights blowing out due to bad connectors.

The wiring harness connections aren't a big deal to replace, as long as your dealer or mechanic doesn't charge you an arm & a leg to "diagnose" the problem.

2009 Pontiac G6 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac G6:

2009 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Feb 022013

On two separate occasions the headlamp wiring assembly failed (first the driver's side, then the passenger's side a few months later). Headlamp wiring on both driver and passenger side showed evidence of high heat (melted wiring and plug) at the rear of the connector in headlamp assembly. Dealership identified this as "normal" for cars with daytime running lights. Car had approximately 57,000 miles at the time.

- Kettering, OH, USA

Sep 232013

Left / driver side headlight connections burning and causing the headlight to not work. Wiring has been replaced 2 times.

- Granite Bay, CA, USA

Apr 072012

G6 4-cyl

The driver side headlight has been fixed several times over the past two years. The light continues to burn out within weeks. The connectors are burning out also. I am scared to drive at night because I am not sure if the light will go out. I am the 1st and only owner of this vehicle. The interior lighting is also malfunctioning. The lights get low by themselves while driving. The radio monitor goes blank. This is all electrical. Please help! thank you updated 12/1/2014

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Mar 012014

G6 6-cyl

Recurrent issue with intermittent failure to start when key left in ignition while parked. Not resolved by replacing starter and neutral safety switch. Issue resolves each time when putting in neutral. Dealer service unable to fix after multiple attempts and refuses to try again. Offered discount for new car.

- Harrisonville, MO, USA

Jun 262013

G6 6-cyl

2009 Pontiac G6 GT sedan. Intermittent problems with the following for the last year: Brake lights come on when accelerating and turn off when braking (doing opposite of what they should be doing). Cruise control and traction control system both keep going out. Sometimes it's just the cruise control, other times the traction control system turns off first which in turn disables the cruise control. Whenever the cruise control starts going out, the brake lights start malfunctioning soon after. I suspect this is an issue with the BCM (body control module). Front drivers side headlight keeps going out, but the bulb isn't burned out. Replaced bulb twice. If I smack the plastic headlight cover, the light comes back on. The wires don't look damaged, so I'm not sure what is causing the problem with the headlight.

- St. Charles, IL, USA

Jun 062013

My headlight on the passenger side of my car continually goes out even with a new bulb. New bulbs last maybe two weeks and then the light shuts off, and will turn on only if I hit the light. I have spoken to several other G6 owners and they have had the same issues with the passenger side headlight. I have a 2009 G6 GT with approximately 118K miles. This issue has been going on since approximately 85K-90K miles.

- Queensbury, NY, USA

Mar 052011

G6 6-cyl

The headlight went out, could not replace it, took it to the dealer and was told it was an electrical issue and the repair would not be covered by the warranty. The dealer fixed it about a $180. The headlight went out again in March 2013, at first it kept clicking and could be put on again by hitting the light cover but then finally went out. That light was never fixed again until May 2014 when the state inspection was due, the fix lasted less than 24 hours and now the car is back to having only one headlight.

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Jan 312014

G6 6-cyl

2009 Pontiac G6. Problems with ignition switch. Fails to start car. May not be able to turn steering wheel. Cannot turn ignition switch to any position. You have to jiggle the key to eventually start vehicle and this may not work at all. My scenario points out that gms recall is not up to date on all ignition switches and further accidents will occur. There is currently no recall on this ignition switch. Updated 6/27/14

- Canyon, TX, USA

Apr 152010

The low beams say on anytime the car is motion because of the day time running lights and the wires for the H11 bulb connector melt from over heating. The wire is not heavy duty enough to be day time running light. I've replaced both headlamp because of this problem and soon I will have to again. It is ridiculous.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jun 012012

G6 6-cyl

Rear passenger door will not lock/unlock. Heater on front passenger seat will not work. Tire service monitor comes on randomly. Cruise control works intermittently, but does not work more often than it does. Loud, rubbing noise coming from steering column when making turns. Low beam headlights work intermittently (got stopped by a policeman and warned of a citation the next time I would get stopped). I had one bulb changed. Two weeks later it went out, but the bulb was not burnt. Then, it started working again. A month or so later the other one went out. I had both wiring harnesses changed and new bulbs put in. Recently, I was told I had a burnt headlight (low beam again). I have been stopped on the interstate to be told that my brakes were flashing (while driving) and then they were working opposite of what they should be (brake lights on while driving and off while braking). I have seen other Pontiac G6's with the same issue. This is a very dangerous issue in my opinion as I could easily be rear-ended due to faulty brakes. I have read similar issues by other Pontiac G6 owners. Will recalls be issued for any of these issues? I am a single parent and do not have money to pour into this car so most of it stays broken! sad considering I paid over $26K for this car and still owe over $10,000, yet it's worth probably $7,000. I can't even sell it with these issues!!! I would love to travel, but I don't even feel safe in this car any longer.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Feb 182014

G6 4-cyl

Was on thruway going 65mph car shut off for the third incident in approximate of a year from other 2 incidents. This time was or could of been killed due to this problem due to rate of speed and where I was driving onto an on ramp where I broke dealer replaced engine control module #12612397. I no longer feel safe driving this car because I know this will happen again. I think this vehicle should be added to the recalls going on with GM because the same thing is happening to my car.

- Grand Island, NY, USA

Feb 032014

G6 6-cyl

Connectors on headlights burnt out, seems to be a common problem on forums and message boards. Low beam lights are intermittently working, passenger light stays out, connector burnt.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jan 072014

I see that there is a recall for this very issue for years thru 2008. My brake lights are on when not braking and off when braking and of course the cruise control will not work during this issue. I see many complaints about this and I find it so hard to understand how this cannot be a safety issue and recalled to fix. I have almost been rearended many times and am wondering if someone has to be involved in a fatal accident before the nhsta forced the expansion of the recall to include all years that are having this issue.

- Marengo, IN, USA

Feb 052013

G6 6-cyl

I have 2009 Pontiac and I have replaced the headlight like five times still doesn't work were I live I see alot of the same car with the same problem. I already had the latch for shifter replaced cause it went out while I was driving seeing all the things that can go wrong as the post of everybody with headlight brakes the engine I think the whole car should be recall before alot of people get hurt its a death trap all kind of things wrong with this car and in this day and time people don't have the money to keep fixing a car that has so many problems not by wear and tear but by not properly putting it together my car was 16,000 dollars and to pay that much and have so many problems is ridiculous.

- Jumpingbranch , WV, USA

May 012013

Low beam light on both the driver & passenger sides keep going out. I keep replacing and immediately they go out. Bulbs were not burnt out. Every once in a while, while driving my headlights will randomly come on and go off again. The metal in the connectors are fried. I have researched and read multiple reports of the same issue that this is a wiring problem and a fire hazard. Something needs to be done about this before someone gets hurt or there is a fatal accident. Not only is this a fire hazard, but intermittently working headlights could cause accidents if randomly going out. It is clearly a safety hazard and Pontiac should be held accountable for this problem.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Nov 252013

G6 4-cyl

Head light harness burns out and have replaced 2 times and can not get it to stop buring out so I have no head lights with this car please help im not the only one with this issue on this car. Replaced H11 H 9 wire harness H11 bulb H9 socket H9 socket.

- Phyllis, KY, USA

Oct 112011

While following my wife in our 2009 G6 I noticed that she was ridding the brakes. When I asked her why she said she wasn't using the brakes at all. The brake lights are coming on and staying on even when the brake pedal is not depressed.

- Canaan, VT, USA

Jul 012012

While operating vehicle, brake lights work the opposite of what they should. They are on when the pedal is not depressed and go off when the pedal is depressed. I spent ~$300 having the brake pedal position sensor diagnosed and it turns out that the BCM (body control module) has corrosion and required dielectric paste to correct the issue. Approximately 14 months later the problem returned and I had a mechanic check for recall and he found a tech bulletin describing exactly this maintenance procedure. They performed it and the problem was corrected but this needs to be 100% corrected as someone is going to get killed. Searching forums online I see that this problem is far more common that one would think and this should be addressed immediately.

- Peterborough, NH, USA

Oct 012010

I have a 2009 Pontiac G6 GT. Since the time that we have bought our car we have had nothing but problems with the passenger side headlight. We have replaced the pigtails and all the wiring. We replaced the bulb every few weeks for it to only burn out a few days later. No one can tell us why this problem can not be fixed. There have been hundreds maybe thousand of complaints on online forums about headlight problems and even fire and melting of the housing. I am constantly pulled over due to the headlight being out. This is an extremely dangerous issue that needs to be addressed. Without properly working headlights people are going to get seriously injured or kill someone because we can't see properly.

- West Jordan , UT, USA

Nov 042013

Less than a month ago I replaced my passenger side headlight. This week it went out again. I have already had to replace the driver side light about three times. I bought this car brand new. I changed the fuse for the headlight and it did not solve the issue. Two days ago my tail light stopped working. The following day it worked in the morning and stopped working in the afternoon. After finding so many complaints on different forums online I'm not sure how GM can not be recalling these vehicles for this problem. I have already gotten pulled over and told that I would be cited the next time. I am afraid that the driver side headlight will go out before I can get the passenger side fixed. Oh yes and my lock chamber on my passenger side back door has gone out. I had the driver side back door fixed when my car was under warranty however, I am on a tight budget and cannot afford to pay over $300 for the dealership to fix this. Apparently this is also a problem with the G6. I am nervous to drive my car (that is not even 5 years old mind you) at night!

- Sacramento, CA, USA