NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2009 Pontiac G6 (Page 3 of 7)

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 is starting to have the same problems as previous model years, including the headlights blowing out due to bad connectors.

The wiring harness connections aren't a big deal to replace, as long as your dealer or mechanic doesn't charge you an arm & a leg to "diagnose" the problem.

2.6

2009 Pontiac G6 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac G6:

2009 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Oct 312013

G6 6-cyl

I purchased my used Pontiac G6 in October 2013. Before I brought my car off the lot the dealership had to replace the left low beam headlight. No big deal I thought. We'll we have changed this same headlight 3 times. Today 8/11/2014 it needs replacing again. My husband went to check to see if maybe it was unplugged as we knew the bulb should have been fine. Well when he took the back plastic cover off to check my headlight wiring was smoking. How long this has been going on I do not know. We have unplugged this headlight because I have to drive this vehicle about 60 mile everyday for work. We'll needless to say I am terrified to drive it. What happens if it catches fire while me and my grandchildren are on the road"??? so far I have only received 1 recall notice.# 13036. That alone is enough forms to stop driving it. I have read several of the same complaints all over the internet. Do we have to die before this is fixed???"

- Winder, GA, USA

Aug 052014

G6 6-cyl

Low beam headlight was out and replaced in approx. June 2014. Headlight out again less than 2 months after replacement. Dealer found the harness in the headlamp assembly was melted and replaced it.

- Bristol, PA, USA

Jun 302010

G6 4-cyl

Headlamps & taillights burn out every few months. Technician at GM dealership said it is occurring in numerous GM vehicles. It is an electrical issue that causes the bulbs to burn out. Since it is an electrical issue that sends too much power and causes burning wires, I am afraid this will eventually start a fire. I should not have to switch these bulbs out constantly. I am also surprised I have not been pulled over or in an accident yet due to non functioning tail lights or headlamps. Nor should I have to pay to get this fixed when it is clearly an issue with the construction of the car. I am currently at 45,000 miles and I am no longer under warranty. I sent an email to GM (which I can forward you if need be) and a week later I saw that a recall was issued about headlamps/tail lights. A GM dealer searched my VIN number and my car did not come up under said recall. I tried to call GM today and waited for 20 minutes on hold and then was disconnected. I refuse to do this again.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 012014

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that when depressing the brake pedal, the brake lights failed to illuminate. The contact stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V25000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The approximate failure mileage was 66,000.

- Roseland , NJ, USA

Jul 022014

G6

Headlights stopped working low beam only. Thought the bulbs burnt out but it's the wiring and connectors are melting inside the assembly. No water it's dry. Got lights to work but wires get hot fast and they stop working.

- St.Michael, MN, USA

May 152014

G6 6-cyl

I was driving down the road being followed by my wife who informed me that as I was driving down the road my brake lights were on but when I hit the brakes my brake lights went off. As days went by it continued to do the brake lighting fault when I noticed that attempting to set cruise control was quite difficult. I'm not sure about you but faulty brake lighting is a serious safety issue. To this day, June 30th 2014 the brake lights are still malfunctioning.

- North Ridgeville, OH, USA

Dec 012011

G6

When you are driving either one headlight will go out and then come back on. Then the opposite headlight will go out and then comeback on. Then sometimes both headlights will go out at the same time. I've had people flash their lights at me thinking I am high beaming them when one of my headlights turn back on. I also had a spun bearing in the bottom end of the engine which caused the vehicle to stall while turning at an intersection and almost got rear ended. I also had my vehicle stall for no reason at all. Had my mechanic look at it he came to the conclusion that maybe it was the battery and replaced it. I have also had issues with the door ajar light to where it causes the interior light to come on and stay on. I've had the door sensors replaced numerous times and have not had any issue with the door ajar for a little while now. I've also had an issue with bearings locking up in the air conditioning unit that caused a severe burning smell and caused the car to not want to start. Therefore I believe there is a major electrical problem with the car causing all of these issues.

- Connellsville, PA, USA

Feb 062012

G6

For two years now, my driver and passenger side low beam headlights continue to go out. The first time I had this changed, the mechanic informed me this was a "normal" occurrence with these type of cars and he had seen this a lot. He told me there is something going on with the wiring that make the light go out. In 2014 when I had it changed, the mechanic informed me that something was causing it to melt and actually showed me the black melted tar in the back of the light. I had the light replaced two months ago and I anticipate it to go out again anytime. This is very dangerous for night time driving and I am on the road traveling every weekend.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Jun 092014

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the contact was informed by another motorist that the brake lights on the vehicle were constantly illuminated. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The part for the repair was unavailable. The dealer was notified and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000. Updated 08/11/14

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Sep 162013

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the passengers side head light socket was melted. Additionally, the driver's side head light only illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 49,000.

- Richmond Hill, NY, USA

Nov 012013

G6 4-cyl

For approximately 6-8 months my headlights have been constantly going out. I have replaced headlights once a month since it began. This is extremely hazardous since my headlights will go out randomly while I am driving. I figured since the brake recall was electrical, this applies to the whole car, but GM says it does not affect the whole car. I was told that the corvettes are having this same issue and I would need to pay $100 diagnostic fee to be able to move forward. I think electrical issues affect the whole car, but with all the recalls GM is trying to avoid what it can. I'm not a mechanic though. Hopefully if enough people are having this issue GM will be forced to recall.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

Feb 022013

G6

On two separate occasions the headlamp wiring assembly failed (first the driver's side, then the passenger's side a few months later). Headlamp wiring on both driver and passenger side showed evidence of high heat (melted wiring and plug) at the rear of the connector in headlamp assembly. Dealership identified this as "normal" for cars with daytime running lights. Car had approximately 57,000 miles at the time.

- Kettering, OH, USA

Jan 162013

G6 6-cyl

Left headlight burns out. Numerous. Bulb replacements and headlight does not work. Very dangerous driving at night.

- Irmo, SC, USA

Sep 232013

G6

Left / driver side headlight connections burning and causing the headlight to not work. Wiring has been replaced 2 times.

- Granite Bay, CA, USA

Apr 072012

G6 4-cyl

The driver side headlight has been fixed several times over the past two years. The light continues to burn out within weeks. The connectors are burning out also. I am scared to drive at night because I am not sure if the light will go out. I am the 1st and only owner of this vehicle. The interior lighting is also malfunctioning. The lights get low by themselves while driving. The radio monitor goes blank. This is all electrical. Please help! thank you updated 12/1/2014

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Sep 262013

G6 6-cyl

Having problems with headlights either one or the other goes out without warning sometimes both. Have replaced the bulbs several times but to no avail. The other night traveling home in the dark both lights went off I had to pull over and "smack" the lenses to get the lights to come back on. I see that this is an ongoing problem with this vehicle. How long and how many lives will it take to get a recall?

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Jun 262013

G6 6-cyl

2009 Pontiac G6 GT sedan. Intermittent problems with the following for the last year: Brake lights come on when accelerating and turn off when braking (doing opposite of what they should be doing). Cruise control and traction control system both keep going out. Sometimes it's just the cruise control, other times the traction control system turns off first which in turn disables the cruise control. Whenever the cruise control starts going out, the brake lights start malfunctioning soon after. I suspect this is an issue with the BCM (body control module). Front drivers side headlight keeps going out, but the bulb isn't burned out. Replaced bulb twice. If I smack the plastic headlight cover, the light comes back on. The wires don't look damaged, so I'm not sure what is causing the problem with the headlight.

- St. Charles, IL, USA

Jun 062013

G6

My headlight on the passenger side of my car continually goes out even with a new bulb. New bulbs last maybe two weeks and then the light shuts off, and will turn on only if I hit the light. I have spoken to several other G6 owners and they have had the same issues with the passenger side headlight. I have a 2009 G6 GT with approximately 118K miles. This issue has been going on since approximately 85K-90K miles.

- Queensbury, NY, USA

Mar 052011

G6 6-cyl

The headlight went out, could not replace it, took it to the dealer and was told it was an electrical issue and the repair would not be covered by the warranty. The dealer fixed it about a $180. The headlight went out again in March 2013, at first it kept clicking and could be put on again by hitting the light cover but then finally went out. That light was never fixed again until May 2014 when the state inspection was due, the fix lasted less than 24 hours and now the car is back to having only one headlight.

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Apr 152010

G6

The low beams say on anytime the car is motion because of the day time running lights and the wires for the H11 bulb connector melt from over heating. The wire is not heavy duty enough to be day time running light. I've replaced both headlamp because of this problem and soon I will have to again. It is ridiculous.

- Richmond, VA, USA