NHTSA — Unknown Or Other Problems

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 is starting to have the same problems as previous model years, including the headlights blowing out due to bad connectors.

The wiring harness connections aren't a big deal to replace, as long as your dealer or mechanic doesn't charge you an arm & a leg to "diagnose" the problem.

3.1

2009 Pontiac G6 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac G6:

2009 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments

Sep 092016

G6

My brake lights will come on when I am driving and will go off when I apply the brakes. Also I will have warning lights come on randomly. Same issues under NHTSA campaign number 14V252000. Dealership has done recall work for this twice they told me and have charged me for the repairs and repairs to my warning lights as well and it is still not fixed. This happens everyday.

- Troy, MI, USA

Jan 142013

G6

My vehicle has been accumulatung water in the rear passenger floorboards for three years, causing musty smell and mold spores. I took my vehicle to vince whibbs three times still not fixed. Many complaints about this same issues on internet even a U tube video as expensive a car we should not have this problem.

- Milton, FL, USA

Nov 282014

G6

My husband drives our 2009 Pontiac G6. For about the last 6 months, we have to wiggle the key in the ignition, while wiggling the steering wheel, in order to be able to turn the key and start the car. I recently googled the problem and came across the gmignitionupdate.com website, as well as other websites with information regarding this recall. The June 2012 recall for sticky ignition switch includes the Pontiac G5 but not the G6. How can we get the G6 included in that recall? up until now, I thought it was just a nuisance but after reading about all the issues with the ignition switches, and the deaths and injuries that have resulted, I'm a lot more concerned about continuing to use the car.

- Newtown, PA, USA

Jan 012015

G6

When putting my 2009 Pontiac G6 into park the key, sometimes, gets stuck in the cylinder lock and takes a long time to get it out similar to the issues GM is having with the Chevrolet cobalt and other older vehicles. Because of this, it will not allow me lock the doors. In August, a GM employee submitted a claim on their "help the customer" website. I took it in but the dealer could not duplicate; therefore, GM would not fix it. When I saw the article in automotive news (www.autonews.com/article/20141211/oem/141219956/GM-offers-fix-on-small-car-ignitions-to-prevent-stuck-keys) indicating that there is a bulletin which GM is offering to repair customers' Chevrolet cobalts and other older small cars to prevent keys from getting stuck in the ignition, I immediately re-opened my case (71_1341032883) with the GM executive office. On January 1, 2015, the key was stuck in the ignition three times (I documented the issue in a video). On January 2nd, I drove the vehicle to the dealership and the key came out. The dealer used a lubricant wd-40 hoping that would resolve the issue. GM says since it is not part of a recall or the bulletin indicate above, they will not fix it. I do not want to leave the vehicle unattended so I work the key until it comes out. Sometimes it takes up to 5 minutes to get the key to release but I have been having luck in that area. I have been having this problem on/off for the last 6 years. Since the dealer cannot duplicate, GM will not fix it. Are other G6 owners experiencing the same problem" could G6 Pontiac's be included in this bulletin"

- Warren, MI, USA

Oct 072014

G6

On October 7, 2014, as I was waiting for the stop light to change. My car turned off and then on again. On the following day, after I parked my car, I went to start it, and it didn't crank at all. I went to get the battery, starter, and alternator checked, they all passed with flying colors.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 012010

G6

I have a 2009 Pontiac G6 GT. Since the time that we have bought our car we have had nothing but problems with the passenger side headlight. We have replaced the pigtails and all the wiring. We replaced the bulb every few weeks for it to only burn out a few days later. No one can tell us why this problem can not be fixed. There have been hundreds maybe thousand of complaints on online forums about headlight problems and even fire and melting of the housing. I am constantly pulled over due to the headlight being out. This is an extremely dangerous issue that needs to be addressed. Without properly working headlights people are going to get seriously injured or kill someone because we can't see properly.

- West Jordan , UT, USA

Sep 132013

G6 6-cyl

2009 Pontiac G6 low beam headlight failure: "unable to find the problem" as beams work intermittently; my local mechanic replaced left light bulb, but referred me back to dealership as "this was a known defect in this car." Replaced light bulb (repaired (mechanic was unsure, but replaced anyway) and low beams worked a couple of days, now one (right more randomly left), and sometime both low beams fail intermittently. My wife has received one warning from police; headlight was working again when she restarted car after the warning. With increasing frequency both low beam head lights fail while driving at night. These random failures in low beam illumination requires the driver (my wife usually) to immediately switch on high beams. Both high beam lights are working at this time, but these events tend to infuriate oncoming drivers who high beam back at us, so both drivers are blinded. In my opinion, this vehicle is unsafe to drive at any speed at night or in the rain due to random low beam headlight outages. Therefore, we use of the G6 is limited. Though we like the model and had hoped for several more years of use, my wife does not trust the lights will stay on at night, or when it rains. I feel bad about dumping this car on the used/pre-owned car market without filing some form of official complaint. From a brief internet search, the manufacturer (GM) appears to be ignoring this safety issue as a statistically insignificant problem. Sadly, GM will continue to do so until people die and a class action suit is filed. I would not call the Pontiac G6 a lemon, it is just plain too scary to drive under certain conditions. There does not appear to be a solution coming from GM and my mechanic can't fix it. This situation makes this vehicle useless and unsafe half the time, I.e., unsafe at any speed after dark!

- Groves, TX, USA

Aug 052013

G6

My low beam passenger head light stopped working and I go to have it replaced and it still won't work. We have tested the bulbs and the sockets and they are fine. Can't seem to get it figured out anywhere!

- French Lick, IN, USA

Aug 112010

G6 4-cyl

I purchased a 09 Pontiac G6 on July 28th 2010 it had 46,000 miles 2 weeks after I bought it cuts off for no reason in the middle of the street and would not crank up it was towed to the dealership and kept it for 9 days and still would not crank they got it to crank and then lock the keys up while having it running cause the door unlock and lock on their own but didn't know why it cut off and would not crank. So I got it back 2 week later it cuts off again while driving and gave no sign it was going to cut off and would not crank so I am stuck in the road again stranded for an hour I get it crank take it back to the dealer ship they don't know what's wrong it cuts off again while driving. Take it back they don't know what's wrong and it cuts of about 6 to 8 more time while driving I take it to the dealer ship and they say the same thing and mind U these are all GM dealership and I used 3 different ones and they all say the same thing so it cuts off again I call GM myself and file a complaint they were no help and it stills cuts off til this day and it has an electrical problem as well cause the lights dim in and out when you turn on the air or heat or let the windows down or lock and unlock the doors. The engine runs rough and wheels sound like they about to come of while driving this is a bad car it looks good but drives bad and it not safe when the people who made it cant tell you why it cuts off while driving this very dangerous.

- Birmingham, AL, USA