NHTSA — Steering Problems

2009 Pontiac G6 (Page 4 of 7)

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 is starting to have the same problems as previous model years, including the headlights blowing out due to bad connectors.

The wiring harness connections aren't a big deal to replace, as long as your dealer or mechanic doesn't charge you an arm & a leg to "diagnose" the problem.

2009 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac G6:

2009 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Dec 162014

G6 8-cyl

Loss of steering and steering message on display panel. Had vehicle looked at by GM certified garage. Garage was to replace steering column, but extended warranty company (equis) denied claim because it wasn't malfunctioning when they inspected the car. There is a prior recall notice for this issue on GM website, but GM claims this vehicle is not affected.

- Saint Augustine, FL, USA

Feb 092015

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver as the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering). The failure mileage was 48,000. Updated 04/06/15 the consumer stated the vehicle was due to be repaired on March 19, 2015. Updated 11/3/2015

- Lowellville, OH, USA

Feb 192015

G6 4-cyl

On 2/19/15, approximately 9;00 pm, the power steering stopped operating. I was driving eastbound on PA741 in gap, pa. On 2/2/15, the steering shaft angle sensor was replaced. The power steering stopped operating 17 days later.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Feb 202015

G6 4-cyl

I was entering on to highway when my power steering went out. I was able to pull over. I turned off vehicle and waited 5 minutes (temp was -18F), started vehicle and power steering was engaged.

- Trenton, MI, USA

Feb 172015

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While reversing, the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Dimondale , MI, USA

Feb 092015

G6 4-cyl

My 2009 Pontiac G6 power steering locked up on me while driving on the freeway. I called GM service center and they say my car was not on the recall list. It cost me about $505 in repairs and it was not my fault for the issue.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Aug 012014

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering). The VIN was not listed under the recall. While driving various speeds, the steering seized, a warning alarm sounded, and the power steering warning appeared across the message board. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, where it was diagnosed the power steering needed to be repaired. The failure was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Feb 012013

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact also stated that a chime activated and the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000(steering). The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Leesburg, AL, USA

Feb 022015

G6

Letter from congressman barletta on behalf of constituent re 2009 Pontiac G6 lost power brakes and steering while driving on four separate occasions.

- Mount Carmel, PA, USA

Feb 052015

G6

There was a chime and "power steering" displayed on the dash, noticed an occasional loss of power steering. I called wickstrom Chevrolet in roselle and I provided my VIN number. They said it wasn't covered by the recall. I have relatively low mileage on my car and I'm experiencing a similar problem that the recall describes. I afraid this could lead to an accident while driving.

- Elk Grove Village., IL, USA

May 282014

G6 6-cyl

I bought this car from drive time auto and after a month I heard a screeching noise in the steering as I turn the car.this has been going on now for 9 months and one month after I bought it. It is very annoying.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 032015

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 20 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn in the appropriate direction and the power steering light illuminated. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jan 212015

G6 4-cyl

Power steering went out on my car while at a stop sign. The steering wheel just started shaking and I wasn't in driving motion. This is a know issue all over the internet regarding power steering failure with ponitac G6 2009. However there is no recall to fix this issue. I don't understand if GM is aware of the issue why won't they do a recall. GM produced unsafe cars!! because there's no recall I will have to have the car fixed on my own. I should expect a refund whenever GM decides to do a recall.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Jan 192015

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle, the power steering would suddenly malfunction causing the steering wheel to become very difficult to turn. The contact mentioned that the power steering sensor light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 99,000.

- Oak Park, MI, USA

Sep 012014

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while making a left turn, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to use excessive force to the steering wheel in order to turn the vehicle. In addition, the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The dealer diagnosed that the power steering torque needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The failure mileage was 82,000.

- The Colony, TX, USA

Dec 312014

G6 4-cyl

My power steering just stopped working. The warning message came on and the chimes sounded. I now only have manual steering and it is extremely hard to turn. I know that there is a recall(s) out for this problem on other vehicles but for some reason not mine. It is very dangerous to drive but I have no choice. The dealer I bought the car from new said my car was not covered for this defect. I do not understand that.

- Goodman, MO, USA

Dec 012014

G6 4-cyl

There is a recall on the steering column on Pontiac G6's due to loss of power steering while I am driving. The recall number is #140115. I called a GM dealer to schedule to have it fixed and they are saying they don't have a recall for this but it is clearly recalled. I also see on the recall website that a lot of people are having the same problem. My car power steering goes out while driving and almost caused an accident. The wheel shakes bad while driving and makes a noise. It is clear that these part is defective and Pontiac/GM dealers need to replace it not make me pay for a faulty part that they put in the car.

- Mays Landing, NJ, USA

Jan 072014

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Colonia, NJ, USA

Dec 282014

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the vehicle steering wheel seized and became unresponsive. The contact mentioned that an unknown warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power steering needed to be replaced. The manufacture was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 102,800.

- Goliad, TX, USA

Dec 272014

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, there was a sudden loss of power steering assist and the check engine light illuminated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was experiencing the same failure listed in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering).the vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 116,920. Updated 03/10/15 updated 6/17/2015

- Colorado City, TX, USA