NHTSA — Steering Problems

2009 Pontiac G6 (Page 6 of 7) Notes: The 2009 is starting to have the same problems as previous model years, including the headlights blowing out due to bad connectors.

The wiring harness connections aren't a big deal to replace, as long as your dealer or mechanic doesn't charge you an arm & a leg to "diagnose" the problem.

2009 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac G6:

2009 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Feb 222014

G6 4-cyl

On 2/22/14 around 8:40 am, I was traveling to work. I had stopped at an intersection and was waiting for the left turn signal to turn green. When the turn signal turned greened I proceeded to turn; however, the steering wheel would not turn. I was in utter panic. I pulled as hard as I could and barely got it to turn in time to avoid hitting another car that was preparing to make the right turn and a pedestrian waiting on the curb to cross. I continued driving to stop from impeding traffic and tried to move the steering will but I had completely lost powering steering. I had to try and turn off a busy congested main street, when I did my car swung out really far due to lack of power steering. I'm just glad that I waited before turning or else I would have been hit by a city bus. I parked and called a tow truck and they towed my car to a GM dealership. When I asked if there was a recall because of the dangerous nature of the occurrence, the dealer said there was no recall on file for my VIN so I had to pay over $750 for the repair.

- Salinas, CA, USA

Jul 012014

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the power steering failed and the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. As a result, the driver crashed into another vehicle. The contact mentioned that the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The driver sustained injuries. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 120,000.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jun 102014

G6 4-cyl

I went to turn right into the parking lot at work and when I hit the brake the steering wheel wouldn't turn. I hit the brakes to avoid hitting the ditch and then the steering wheel turned. This has happened several times and it seems to be when I am trying to make a turn of some sort.

- Willard, NC, USA

Jun 122014

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the power steering light illuminated as the steering failed. The driver restarted the vehicle and the vehicle functioned properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the power steering control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. Also, the contact stated that the air bag light was illuminated but did not know the cause of failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 67,000. Updated 8/11/14

- Bethal Pennsylvania, PA, USA

Mar 052014

G6 4-cyl

As I was coming around a turn at my house, I lost all electrical it was like my car shut off. I was close to hitting a stop sign and a house on my street. I did go up the curb. I lost power steering so my steering wheel was harder to turn. Once I got the car stopped my vehicle came back on automatically. At 116,000 miles I drove to ripley and parked my car at work. When I went out to lunch my car would start, but wouldn't move forward. It would only go in reverse and roll backwards. I ended up replacing the transmission and some wires. I don't know if this could be a defect, but it only had 116,000 miles and they are supposed to last at least until 200,000.

- Ravenswood, WV, USA

Jul 012011

I have a 2009 Pontiac G6. When I first bought it I thought it was a GEM after a few months my head lights would burn out a few times a month. After replacing them I noticed the actual wiring was melted. My passenger rear door won't lock or unlock. While driving through a storm my wipers stopped working. My wiper fluid won't come out only makes the sound. My power steering will turn off randomly. Stock radio stopped working. Now my break lights are acting up and won't light. My shifter also has been acting strange. Sometimes it won't shift. Blinkers blew out same time as brake lights. This car is nothing but a hazard.

- Forest City, PA, USA

Apr 162014

G6 4-cyl

The car has had significant electrical problems since its purchase. To summarize: I had an ignition fuse repaired in 2009 when the car turned off suddenly while I was driving. Replaced a faulty headlight socket that was melted to the inside housing, have replaced an excessive number of light bulbs in the car, and have also had the power door locks fail. Most recently, remote ignition was not working, but was later fixed after a major repair last month to the power steering. I was driving the car when my power steering failed. Had it towed to a local GM dealership, who said my power steering control module had to be replaced at a cost of $750 dollars. Was aware of a recall for 2009 G-6's for power steering, but dealership seemed to have no information regarding recall. Was told that my VIN was not included in any recalls. Contacted GM, who told us to wait for a new round of recall letters to be distributed. In the meantime, it takes 6 days for the repairs, and only after significant questioning did the dealer admit that parts were hard to find due to the recall. We asked the dealership to let us have the faulty part to pursue action from GM. Dealer told us they had thrown parts away, despite this being against GM protocol. They located our part after we pushed them to investigate (car had been repaired that very morning, parts had not been thrown away), and assessed a $100 core charge. Have been bounced back and forth between GM and dealer since, with no responsibility taken by either party. Most recently, GM said they will not pay for reimbursement, and dealer said the parts they repaired were not recalled so they are not responsible either. As these parts are unlikely to break without cause, and don't need frequent servicing, it's clear that they are faulty. This is a major safety issue. GM needs to reexamine their recall.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Oct 072012

G6 6-cyl

When turning the steering wheel, makes a loud scraping sound. Sometimes hard to turn wheel especially making turns.

- Irmo, SC, USA

May 052014

G6 4-cyl

Will start making a noise when driving. Steering wheel will shake, here noise. Bad intermediate shaft. Their are so many car with this problem their should be a recall for this.

- Grand Junction, MI, USA

Jan 102014

G6 4-cyl

My power steering failed. Isn't on the power steering failure recall notice. The notice needs expanded.

- Fort Madison, IA, USA

Feb 242014

I experienced the very problem they are seeing with no power steering on my Pontiac G6. It at times would work and then it would just quit working while driving didn't matter the speed. I took it to my local GMC dealer and they told me it was my power steering column would need to be replaced because the part that failed was part of the column. I went ahead and had them do the work which ended up costing me $625 dollars. Only to find out when getting home that there was a recall. I contacted Pontiac and they said that my zn # was not part of that recall but the work done was for that exact problem.

- Cobb, WI, USA

Apr 232014

G6 4-cyl

As I was driving, my power steering assist was suddenly lost with no oncoming warning signs. My driver notification showed a notification of "power steering" after a chime sounded. This happened suddenly and has so far kept happening intermittedly. GM did send me to a dealer to get the issue looked at. The dealer they recommended was not helpful at all. They did not document why I was there when we made the appointment on the phone, after the diagnostic test, the dealer would not give me any information as to the cause of problem or whether or not they felt it was in accordance with the recent recall. The dealer told me that I needed to have my steering column replaced and tried to get me to fork out over a grand for repairs on the spot. After having my usual mechanic look at the issue the following day, his opinion was that it was in accordance with the recall. My mechanic also said that the parts listed in the recall to be replaced, such as the torque convertor, are apart of the steering column. GM has offered me no help in rectifying the issue and refuses to look into it further. The csr I spoke with was very rude and in a short sum of words basically told me that GM would not do anything about the issue even if I were to have multiple GM dealers find that my car in fact is affected by the recall. She also offered no concern about my safety as a driver and would not recognize that an oversight could have been made on at least one vehicle regarding this recall even though GM has reportedly oversighted improper manufacture of millions of vehicles. I feel that GM should be held responsible for the repairs my car needs on a part that does not need frequent servicing or does not suddenly break without cause.

- Bartonville, IL, USA

Mar 232014

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the power steering assist failed and the power steering warning light illuminated. The contact continued to drive cautiously with force being applied to the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they replaced the torque input sensor. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 39,957.

- Canton, OH, USA

Mar 172014

I was driving my 2009 Pontiac G6 and was attempting to make a right hand turn from one street onto another, at which time I lost all power steering assistance and a chime went off with an indicator on dash. I proceeded to hit the curb damage my tire and rim. I turn ignition off and restart and it will work for a day or two and randomly turn off assist power steering. I have seen a recall for earlier model G5 for electric power steering failure, that does not cover G6. I believe it needs to be investigated to possibly extend the recall to 2009 G6.

- Clinton, MI, USA

Apr 042014

G6 4-cyl

Clear day, dry, straight, flat road, no obstructions. Saw 2 vehicles stopped at red light, well ahead of me. Removed foot from gas pedal for normal braking and stop. When applied brakes, they did not slow my car down. Tried more pressure on brakes, but they were so "stiff", car still did not respond. When impact obvious, tried to steer toward clear lane on left to avoid straight-on impact. Thought might cause less injury to all and less damage. Steering wheel would not move. Struck the vehicle straight-on from rear at about 35 mph. Air bag deployed. Wearing seat belt. Taken from car by emergency medical technicians, then by ambulance to hospital emergency room. Several X-rays taken, plus either cat scan of head. Told no bones broken, given shot of morphine and prescription for norco. Driven home and went to sleep. Remember nothing of next day or fact I was given discharge instructions. Found yesterday and have made appointment to follow up with doctor for headaches, migraines, limited use of left hand, loss of words, thought and short term memory. Other pain, I assume is from jolt of impact or "whiplash."

- Ponder, TX, USA

Nov 262013

G6 6-cyl

Driving on the highway, my car started to drift and I went to correct and the car flipped 4 times. I was unable to steer left or right, the steering locked up. There was a police officer right behind me when this happened, I did not get a ticket for anything. The car was totaled. The two passengers were taken to the emergency room and later released with minor injures. Now I am experiencing headaches and back pain and knee pain.

- St Anthony, ID, USA

Mar 272014

G6 4-cyl

Steering wheel became hard to steer while vehicle was trying to turn and was unable to make complete turn due to difficulty in steering.

- Dumont, NJ, USA

Jun 012012

G6 6-cyl

Rear passenger door will not lock/unlock. Heater on front passenger seat will not work. Tire service monitor comes on randomly. Cruise control works intermittently, but does not work more often than it does. Loud, rubbing noise coming from steering column when making turns. Low beam headlights work intermittently (got stopped by a policeman and warned of a citation the next time I would get stopped). I had one bulb changed. Two weeks later it went out, but the bulb was not burnt. Then, it started working again. A month or so later the other one went out. I had both wiring harnesses changed and new bulbs put in. Recently, I was told I had a burnt headlight (low beam again). I have been stopped on the interstate to be told that my brakes were flashing (while driving) and then they were working opposite of what they should be (brake lights on while driving and off while braking). I have seen other Pontiac G6's with the same issue. This is a very dangerous issue in my opinion as I could easily be rear-ended due to faulty brakes. I have read similar issues by other Pontiac G6 owners. Will recalls be issued for any of these issues? I am a single parent and do not have money to pour into this car so most of it stays broken! sad considering I paid over $26K for this car and still owe over $10,000, yet it's worth probably $7,000. I can't even sell it with these issues!!! I would love to travel, but I don't even feel safe in this car any longer.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Feb 262014

G6 4-cyl

I was driving behind a vehicle who stopped suddenly and when I braked, a power steering message came across the radio and I was unable to turn my vehicle left or right. The car makes a clicking sound when the power steering locks up. It can lock up in the middle of driving or when starting my car.

- Jacksonville , FL, USA

Mar 032014

G6 4-cyl

Initially power steering worked on and off sporadically. When power steering was working, steering wheel shook uncontrollably and caused the wheel to steer in unintended directions. When power steering is not working, light comes on and steering is almost impossible. Power steering would cease in the middle of driving causing a very dangerous situation. A week later, power steering does not work at all. GM states there are no recalls. The steering column has a recall in older models with the exact same issue, however, GM refuses to acknowledge. This issue is very dangerous and requires immediate attention. Estimated cost for repair: $1,200.

- Bartlett, IL, USA