NHTSA — Electronic Stability Control Problems

2010 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 2)

2010 Pontiac G6 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Pontiac G6:

2010 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 122016

The contact owns a 2010 Pontiac G6. While the cruise control was activated while driving approximately 70 mph, the ESC, traction control, and engine warning indicators illuminated. The cruise control deactivated independently. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. The vehicle was restarted and the gear lever failed to shift from park into the drive position until after several attempts. The vehicle resumed normal operation; however, the warning indicators remained illuminated. The vehicle was serviced previously per NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The recall remedy was insufficient and the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing, which detected various trouble codes related to the BCM. The vehicle was not repaired for the most recent failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Apex, NC, USA

Feb 152016

The contact owns a 2010 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 60 mph, the ESC, traction and the cruise control warning indicators illuminated. In addition, the brake warning indicator illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, service brakes). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was approximately 100,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- North Jackson, OH, USA

Sep 012015

The contact owns a 2010 Pontiac G6. While driving 15 mph, the traction control system and electronic stability control system failed. The brake light illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Waukee, IA, USA

Jan 312015

The contact owns a 2010 Pontiac G6. While the vehicle was parked, the service power steering and service ESC was displayed across the message board. In addition, the steering wheel vibrated. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Feb 152016

My power steering goes in and out, I hit a curb today on the expressway when the power steering stopped and then suddenly started working again.this power steering issue will cause some one to have a very bad accident, and GM is aware of this issue, this can turn into a very serious lawsuite, I demand that my 2010 Pontiac G6 steering problem be covered under recall, this is a formal demand.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Oct 122015

I have a 2010 Pontiac G6 and since purchasing the vehicle I've had it into GM service centers several times to correct an issue with my brake light lamps not working. While driving, when I would press the brake pedal, the lamps would not illuminate, and when not pressing the pedal and driving the lamps would occasionally illuminate. Additionally, the service traction light and service ESC light would come as well and the cruise control would not work. This problem was "fixed" at least 4 or 5 separate times (and would always return several months later) before last year when it then was "fixed" again in October 2014 as an official GM safety recall (GM recall 13036). Approximately 5 weeks ago, just over 12 months later, the exact same symptoms began happening to my car again! while driving, the brake lights would not illuminate when pressing the pedal, along with the other electrical issues that are described in my recall letter (service traction control, service ESC, etc). I took it back to GM service center and they are claiming now that recall repairs are only done once, and since they can't be sure that the root cause is the same, that I now have to pay out of pocket ($1200) to have this issue corrected. They tried to re-do the recall repair as it was described in the letter, but the issue was not corrected. At that point, GM technical support advised them that the next step would be to replace all the electrical wiring for the braking system. The dealership called me and said that not only would I have to pay out of pocket for this, but also that it might not actually correct the problem. They then said my other option was to drive it home as is, without functioning break lamps. If the symptoms are the same (I.e. brake lights don't work) as before when the NHTSA determined this to be a safety recall issue, why is GM now unwilling to fix my vehicle?

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Jul 012015

While driving service power steering service ESC audible and visual alarms received. Lost power steering/very hard to steer. Turned car off restarted then had no issues. Then several hours later had same issue occurred...turned car off/on and power steering restored. This issue keeps re-occurring with this 2010 G6, 2.4L V4 when driving at various speeds. Dealer indicates no open recall for this 2010 model despite recalls for earlier year G6 models with these exact symptoms.

- Westmont, IL, USA

Apr 222013

G6 4-cyl

I had an incident in 2013 that might come in to play with a recent recall. I own a 2010 Pontiac G6. As I was driving down a main road traveling at an average speed of 45mph my vehicle became impaired. The dash screen projected service ESC/ low traction. The steering became almost impossible to control and no matter how hard I pushed the gas pedal down the car would not go any faster than 5 mph. The car also became jerky, jerking the whole car back and forth for a moment. I this happen multiple times. I took the car to the GM shop and after changing a lot of parts that didn't need to be changed they finally changed a part called a sensor and that seemed to stop the problem. It seems there is starting to be a recall on this but not my car and I'm not sure why. This isn't the first problem I had with this car sense I got it....updated 08/12/15

- Cypress, TX, USA

Mar 022015

G6 4-cyl

While traveling in heavy traffic, the power steering failed, extremely hard to turn wheel, brought car to stop. Dash indicated "service ESC", and "power steering". pulled into parking lot, turned off car, and a short time later, restarted car, seemed to work correctly, this happened several more times over the following several days, but would come back after car was shut off and restarted. After a week of this, it happened again, but would not come back after car was reset. Unable to driver car at this time as a result.

- Rocky River, OH, USA

Mar 042015

G6 4-cyl

Has happened multiple times past two weeks. Issue typically occurs at starting of car, once while driving down highway: A chime is heard, the dic displays power steering, the ESC off indicator comes on, and power steering is lost. Turning off car and restarting can reset and power steering works. When power steering is working, the steering wheel shakes while at a stop, can sometimes be felt when driving.

- Amherst, OH, USA

Mar 032015

While driving down highway service power steering service ESC. Lost steering very hard to steer. Turned car off restarted then had no issues. Then several hours later had same issue turned car off and was able to make it home.

- Bedford, IA, USA

Feb 152015

G6 4-cyl

Driving to town and the car starts to"ding" at me. I look down and it says "power steering" and "service ESC" and then I notice that there is no longer any power steering.

- St Croix Falls, WI, USA

Feb 132015

G6 4-cyl

In the beginning my car would pull to one side and the steering wheel would shake really bad. It would shake driving and at a stand still. After it would shake the power steering would shut off. I could be driving or at a stand still when it shuts off (it didn't matter). I start my car now and the power steering light comes on as soon as I turn the key saying that the electric power steering is not working.

- Middleport , NY, USA

Feb 022015

Dear NHTSA; I own a 2010 Pontiac G6 that within the last week incurred a power steering failure. Recall research shows that on March 2014 the NHTSA required GM to issue a recall for this exact problem, however, it only covered the G6 models up to the year 2009. The service advisor at the dealership acknowledged that the "problem" was very similar to the steering problem for earlier models that are subject to the recall. However, since the 2010 model year was not included in the NHTSA recall, the cost to repair the problem falls to the consumer and is estimated to be in the $1,800 to $2,000 range. This is clearly a safety issue and mirrors the same characteristic's as earlier models included in the recall. I have contacted GM regarding this matter and have been assured that a local customer service representative will be contacting me within 48 hours. While I appreciate GM's willingness to "consider" the matter, I urge the NHTSA to re-visit the model years subject to the recall. The consumer should not be burdened with the cost of repairing what is obviously a design defect. Further and more importantly is safety for the passengers and other drivers on the road. I hope that the ntsb will investigate this matter accordingly and amend the power steering recall to include 2010 models. Thank you.

- Lovettsville, VA, USA

Jan 262015

G6 4-cyl

Driving into work the warning bells sounded on the car. The power steering was illuminated and after a few minutes the ESC off and ESC warning also came in.

- Beaver, PA, USA

Sep 012014

G6 4-cyl

I lose power steering from time to time. I may have it when I start the car and then lose it going down the road. I may not have it when I start the car and then it comes back.

- Milford, DE, USA

Dec 222014

G6 4-cyl

I have noticed that sometimes my car pulls when I am at rest and driving. Today, I sat in my car to get some heat on my lunch break. My car began to shake violently and messages and lights popped up. The engine, tcs and ESC lights came on. I turned it off and crank it again and I could hear the engine rattling. That happened around 1 pm. I got off around 730 pm tonight and as I drove the car rode good for about 2 miles and then it began to slow down and all of these warnings popped up regarding traction and powering down. I pulled over sat and crank my car and the engine rattled horribly. I turned it off and crank it again. The ride was not smooth and it was jerking. We have not received any information regarding a recall on my vehicle this year. I received one I believe last year and took care of it.

- Homewood, AL, USA

Nov 252014

While driving downhill at approximately 50 mph, the power steering warning indicator went off and the steering wheel became very difficult to turn, shorty followed by the electronic stability control warning indicator. I pulled off on the shoulder of the road and turned the engine off and restarted the engine, and the power steering worked again, but the same thing happened once more on my 35 mile commute to work. On the way home, however, the power steering would only work for about 15 seconds each time I turned the engine off and back on. Now both the power steering and ESC dont work at all. I took the vehicle to the GM dealer where I live, and was informed that the car was displaying error code C0545, indicating that the steering shaft torque sensor, the torque position sensor in the steering, needs replacement, and that there is a recall out on other years of Pontiac G6's for the same problem, but 2010 was left off the recall. No word yet on whether GM is going to own up to their problem and take care of it, but after reading all the other complaints on here related to the same problem, I am not too optimistic. It is unbelievable that GM can manufacture and sell vehicles with problems like this. It's a wonder that there was not an accident involved when this happened, the vehicle is completely unsafe to drive.

- Ruidoso, NM, USA

May 162014

G6 4-cyl

Was parked in friends driveway, emergency brake engaged. Started car and depressed brake and released emergency brake, then shifted into reverse and backed out of driveway. When I shifted from reverse to drive the car died. I put it in park and restarted.. engine was running very rough, kept trying to die, no power steering, no cool air or A/C.. service ESC message on display as well as traction control "off". called onstar for ondemand diag. And they said was my emergency brake and to shut off car and then restart... did that and car ran fine.. for approx. A month.. then happened again.. on demand diag could not get a code.. neither could dealership. This continued intermittently until about 1 month ago.. @ 60,400 miles (now out of warranty) took car to dealership and they were able to get 2 codes.. one saying electronic stabilizer and other saying thermostat has went out. (1 consistent thing with all this.. my thermostat gauge would be flatlined no matter if car had been driven recently or not) upon leaving the dealership parking lot, just as I was pulling onto road.the "bumps"from the transition caused the gauge to start displaying again.. and power steering, A/C and cool air resumed working as well... have not had any more episodes for about a month.. until 9/2 when I got into my car and started it.. temp gauge no work, no A/C no pwr steering.. reached destination and car sat approx 4 hrs.. then drove 4 miles and engine light came on and has remained on. Checked fluids.. all fine.. but did notice engine fan staying engaged continually while driving and for a few seconds after turning off car.

- Carlton, OR, USA

Apr 152014

G6 4-cyl

This incident has happened no less than 100 times in the past 3 months. Started off in mid April with the dashboard alert beeps, and warning display that the power steer is not serviceable, followed by a 2nd alert the ESC is off. Along with the alerts. I lost all power steering. When the car is shut off and restarted, the error was cleared and normal steering control resumed.and from mid April 2014 until early June, this error was very random an occurred only a few time (less than 10) but since early June, it happens almost constant. I no sooner stop, turn off the car, then restart the car which sometimes clears the error and sometimes doesn't. I was just told minutes ago that my car's VIN was not on the recall list, yet the model and year is! along with millions of others... I can't drive it as is, and can't afford to get it fixed... why isn't an obvious problem addressed better than this" and what am I to do"

- Ojai, CA, USA