NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2010 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 2)

2.3

2010 Pontiac G6 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Pontiac G6:

2010 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 012015

G6

The contact owns a 2010 Pontiac G6. While driving various speeds, the brake lights failed to engage. When the vehicle was being driven, the brake lights illuminated; however, when the brake pedal was depressed the brake lights did not illuminate. The vehicle was repaired by an independent mechanic. Shortly after, the failure recurred. The contact stated that the cruise control had not functioned properly since the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Mayfield, KY, USA

Feb 152016

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 60 mph, the ESC, traction and the cruise control warning indicators illuminated. In addition, the brake warning indicator illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, service brakes, hydraulic, exterior lighting, vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was approximately 100,000. Updated 09/29/16 updated 10/04/16.

- North Jackson, OH, USA

May 312016

G6

After replacing the fuse box, wiring harness, and fuses on my fuse box in the trunk of my G6 I have had no satifcation as to the problem being remedied that continues to cause situations that could be detremental to myself and my family. I cannot aford to run right out and purchase a new vehicle especially when I have paid on this one expecting it to last me a very long time. This issue with this relay problem to the fuel pump which has caused my car to now shut down twice on me on main interestates with several cars behind me! this issue needs address is my family going to be compensated should something happen to me while driving this vehicle. Will my expenses be paid. This is absolutely ridiculous that this issue is not being address by yourselves or through Pontiac. I would like this issue handled or if it cannot be remidied I would like a full refund on my vehicle of $14000 so I may be able to purchase another vehicle. This issue needs addressed. This is my second complaint filing due to myself and family almost being harmed fataly due to this ongoing problem!!!!!

May 092016

G6

On May 9, 2016, I was heading to my home when my car stalled briefly in the middle of a major roadway, 220 North, cumberland, Maryland 21502. Luckily my vehicle re-engaged within a minute in order for me to avoid being hit by any tractor and trailer traffic that was steadily approaching me. Needless to say I was petrified during this time thing I was going to be demolished and die in my car!!! there is an issue with the relay connection from the fuse box in the trunk of the pontiact G 6 to the fuel pump which has caused my car to not start on several occassions. We have had it looked at and from everything we have seen and done nothing fixes this problem, not even replacing the fuse box, fuel pump, fuses, etc. Yesterday was the first time it semi stalled in the middle of a major roadway almost causing a major accident. This is a Pontiac issue I have seen several complaints of this issue with this vehicle online. This is a safety hazard and needs to be dealt with through a recal from the Pontiac manufacturer. And from what I have researched and found that replacing the wiring harness and fuse box is only a temporary fix so if ponitaic is unable to fix this serious problem, they need to trade all Pontiac G6 for a vehicle of equal value!!! at this point I am thoroughly frustrated and pissed off with this problem that has not been recalled on these vehicles!!! it is a shame that it will take someone losing their life for the problem to be handled!!! I have had this problem for quite some time now with no permanent soluation, I have missed work due to this problem and have been late on several occassions due to this problem. The worst thing that has happened was yesterday on a major roadway stalling with tractor and trailer traffic coming up behind me.

Feb 152016

G6

My power steering goes in and out, I hit a curb today on the expressway when the power steering stopped and then suddenly started working again.this power steering issue will cause some one to have a very bad accident, and GM is aware of this issue, this can turn into a very serious lawsuite, I demand that my 2010 Pontiac G6 steering problem be covered under recall, this is a formal demand.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Dec 012015

G6

This has happened on more than one occassions and after doing a search on the interenet I have found others who have had the same problem. My car starts but it does not turn over all the way. It will do this several times then it finally starts. The battery is brand new and is very strong, and like I mentioned it starts and is strong it just does not turn all the way over. Alternator is fine, etc. Believed to be some type of electrical issue.

Oct 122015

G6

I have a 2010 Pontiac G6 and since purchasing the vehicle I've had it into GM service centers several times to correct an issue with my brake light lamps not working. While driving, when I would press the brake pedal, the lamps would not illuminate, and when not pressing the pedal and driving the lamps would occasionally illuminate. Additionally, the service traction light and service ESC light would come as well and the cruise control would not work. This problem was "fixed" at least 4 or 5 separate times (and would always return several months later) before last year when it then was "fixed" again in October 2014 as an official GM safety recall (GM recall 13036). Approximately 5 weeks ago, just over 12 months later, the exact same symptoms began happening to my car again! while driving, the brake lights would not illuminate when pressing the pedal, along with the other electrical issues that are described in my recall letter (service traction control, service ESC, etc). I took it back to GM service center and they are claiming now that recall repairs are only done once, and since they can't be sure that the root cause is the same, that I now have to pay out of pocket ($1200) to have this issue corrected. They tried to re-do the recall repair as it was described in the letter, but the issue was not corrected. At that point, GM technical support advised them that the next step would be to replace all the electrical wiring for the braking system. The dealership called me and said that not only would I have to pay out of pocket for this, but also that it might not actually correct the problem. They then said my other option was to drive it home as is, without functioning break lamps. If the symptoms are the same (I.e. brake lights don't work) as before when the NHTSA determined this to be a safety recall issue, why is GM now unwilling to fix my vehicle?

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Oct 312015

G6

Took the car in for a recall I received regarding the power steering stated power steering has gone out several times throughout this year and last, steering shaking terribly GM service had the car and told me I need to pay over $300 to fix the battery cables before they could figure out the problem. So it became my problem instead of the recall issue. Ridiculous they let me take the car as is. I am appalled at this point. My vehicle has lost power steering many times and is very unsafe but until I do something GM wont do anything.

- Northglenn, CO, USA

Mar 092015

G6

Check engine light went on and the steering locked up and was unable to turn right at a light. Forcefully turning the wheel with great effort I managed to make my way into a grocery store parking lot took a deep breath and turned the car off. Waited several minutes took the key out of the ignition and started the car again the steering was back and I continued on to work reluctantly since I am unsure when and if this is going to happen again.

- Northglenn, CO, USA

Mar 052015

G6

Had same issue as other days complaint. This time turning car off and restarting didn't help. Took car straight to shop. Left with the local dealer they called said torque sensor bad same as the 09 recall issue. It's going to cost $517 dollars to fix. General Motors needs to address this issue before someone gets hurt. I need the car to get to and from work so what does a person do but fix and hope it's made part of recall. I own 2 other GM vehicles ready to get rid of them before they start falling apart.

- Bedford, IA, USA

Feb 132015

G6 4-cyl

In the beginning my car would pull to one side and the steering wheel would shake really bad. It would shake driving and at a stand still. After it would shake the power steering would shut off. I could be driving or at a stand still when it shuts off (it didn't matter). I start my car now and the power steering light comes on as soon as I turn the key saying that the electric power steering is not working.

- Middleport , NY, USA

Dec 242014

G6 4-cyl

I noticed I had a low-beam headlight out around christmas but didn't get around to replacing it until 1/19/15. Once it was replaced, it was again not working within less than 24 hrs after the replacement. I returned it to the shop, where the technician found that the headlight harness around the new bulb had melted. I am now awaiting parts to have that replaced. I understand this is a continuing problem with GM cars of that year, and that they tend to keep blowing bulbs and needing harness replacements.

- Hampstead, NC, USA

Jun 022014

G6 4-cyl

Power adapter went out first and fuses blow and spark when replaced, August 2014 radio and clock quit working, blinkers flash but do not ding when on, key in ignition with door open does not ding, and today October 3, 2014 the service airbag light came on, and stays on. Are these recall items or fire hazards that GM should replace?

- Hillsboro, MO, USA

May 162014

G6 4-cyl

Was parked in friends driveway, emergency brake engaged. Started car and depressed brake and released emergency brake, then shifted into reverse and backed out of driveway. When I shifted from reverse to drive the car died. I put it in park and restarted.. engine was running very rough, kept trying to die, no power steering, no cool air or A/C.. service ESC message on display as well as traction control "off". called onstar for ondemand diag. And they said was my emergency brake and to shut off car and then restart... did that and car ran fine.. for approx. A month.. then happened again.. on demand diag could not get a code.. neither could dealership. This continued intermittently until about 1 month ago.. @ 60,400 miles (now out of warranty) took car to dealership and they were able to get 2 codes.. one saying electronic stabilizer and other saying thermostat has went out. (1 consistent thing with all this.. my thermostat gauge would be flatlined no matter if car had been driven recently or not) upon leaving the dealership parking lot, just as I was pulling onto road.the "bumps"from the transition caused the gauge to start displaying again.. and power steering, A/C and cool air resumed working as well... have not had any more episodes for about a month.. until 9/2 when I got into my car and started it.. temp gauge no work, no A/C no pwr steering.. reached destination and car sat approx 4 hrs.. then drove 4 miles and engine light came on and has remained on. Checked fluids.. all fine.. but did notice engine fan staying engaged continually while driving and for a few seconds after turning off car.

- Carlton, OR, USA

Jul 192014

G6

The steering is making a noise like gears slipping over riding one another, and catches in turns, the power steering light is on, the speedometer is not working and you have to run it to a high RPM to shift out from one gear to another, and it shifts hard when it does.

- Belfry, KY, USA

Jul 012014

G6

Wires burned off light sockets. Both driver and passenger sides. Door lock solenoid went bad. Daughter was unable to get in or out of drivers door. Getting ABS warning light. Getting passenger air bag warning.

- Dubois, IN, USA

Oct 092013

G6 4-cyl

Service air bag comes on and goes off, and on star says they may not deploy. Other people have had accidents and they dont deploy. I feel like the auto company should recall and fix this.

- Mound City, MO, USA

Feb 152014

G6 4-cyl

When starting vehicle, a warning message shows and the dic saying power steering, service ESC, with traction control symbol off. Power steering is then not functional until key is switch off and the vehicle restarted. This has occurred 6 times at random. There's are recalls for earlier models with the same problem and same parts and needs to be expanded to all models built with these defective parts. This has not happened while driving but from all of the other complaints it is only a matter of time before it does and is only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured because of it.

- Perry, IA, USA

Feb 212014

G6 4-cyl

As my wife and our 11 year old son was in town the Pontiac G6 lost steering. My wife pulled off of the road and waited for me to come and get them and drive the car back home. During the ride the power steering never returned.

- Pond Creek, OK, USA

Jan 252014

G6

While driving down the road my power steering kicked off and 3 warnings came across my dash "power steering, service ESC and ESC off" I was close to a stop sign and once there I turned my car off and back on the alarm went away and my power steering was once again working. Not only does my power steering kick off all the time now but my steering wheel constantly jerks to the left, even while the car is stopped. I constantly have to keep it from going into the next lane. You have no warning when your power steering is going to kick off. Its very dangerous and very hard to control the vehicle. I'll be having the car looked at this week but I know what the issue is. Its the same part that was recalled on several other GM cars including 2005-2008 G6. The recall didn't happen until 2012 which was after the 2010 G6 was built. They really need to expand the recall before someone gets hurt.

- Lynchburg, OH, USA