NHTSA — Engine Problems

2010 Pontiac G6 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Pontiac G6:

2010 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments

Jan 122016

The contact owns a 2010 Pontiac G6. While the cruise control was activated while driving approximately 70 mph, the ESC, traction control, and engine warning indicators illuminated. The cruise control deactivated independently. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. The vehicle was restarted and the gear lever failed to shift from park into the drive position until after several attempts. The vehicle resumed normal operation; however, the warning indicators remained illuminated. The vehicle was serviced previously per NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The recall remedy was insufficient and the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing, which detected various trouble codes related to the BCM. The vehicle was not repaired for the most recent failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Apex, NC, USA

May 092016

On May 9, 2016, I was heading to my home when my car stalled briefly in the middle of a major roadway, 220 North, cumberland, Maryland 21502. Luckily my vehicle re-engaged within a minute in order for me to avoid being hit by any tractor and trailer traffic that was steadily approaching me. Needless to say I was petrified during this time thing I was going to be demolished and die in my car!!! there is an issue with the relay connection from the fuse box in the trunk of the pontiact G 6 to the fuel pump which has caused my car to not start on several occassions. We have had it looked at and from everything we have seen and done nothing fixes this problem, not even replacing the fuse box, fuel pump, fuses, etc. Yesterday was the first time it semi stalled in the middle of a major roadway almost causing a major accident. This is a Pontiac issue I have seen several complaints of this issue with this vehicle online. This is a safety hazard and needs to be dealt with through a recal from the Pontiac manufacturer. And from what I have researched and found that replacing the wiring harness and fuse box is only a temporary fix so if ponitaic is unable to fix this serious problem, they need to trade all Pontiac G6 for a vehicle of equal value!!! at this point I am thoroughly frustrated and pissed off with this problem that has not been recalled on these vehicles!!! it is a shame that it will take someone losing their life for the problem to be handled!!! I have had this problem for quite some time now with no permanent soluation, I have missed work due to this problem and have been late on several occassions due to this problem. The worst thing that has happened was yesterday on a major roadway stalling with tractor and trailer traffic coming up behind me.

- Cumberland, MD, USA

Dec 222014

G6 4-cyl

I have noticed that sometimes my car pulls when I am at rest and driving. Today, I sat in my car to get some heat on my lunch break. My car began to shake violently and messages and lights popped up. The engine, tcs and ESC lights came on. I turned it off and crank it again and I could hear the engine rattling. That happened around 1 pm. I got off around 730 pm tonight and as I drove the car rode good for about 2 miles and then it began to slow down and all of these warnings popped up regarding traction and powering down. I pulled over sat and crank my car and the engine rattled horribly. I turned it off and crank it again. The ride was not smooth and it was jerking. We have not received any information regarding a recall on my vehicle this year. I received one I believe last year and took care of it.

- Homewood, AL, USA