NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2010 Pontiac G6 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Pontiac G6:

2010 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments

Apr 162016

G6

On April 16th 2016 I was in a car accident. Me and a friend were driving back to his house the road at night, when a deer crossed the road, I attempted to maneuver to Dodge the deer and ended up going off the road and losing control of my vehicle. My car hit a fence line, as well a multiple small trees. The car was totaled yet my airbags did not deploy. I've already contacted my insurance company, and as everything starts to settle with them I'd like to know if there is anything I can do because of the fact that my airbags didn't deploy. We were both bruised up pretty badly, and had to go the the emergency room, and my friends wrist was broken in the crash.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 012014

G6

Wires burned off light sockets. Both driver and passenger sides. Door lock solenoid went bad. Daughter was unable to get in or out of drivers door. Getting ABS warning light. Getting passenger air bag warning.

- Dubois, IN, USA

May 052014

G6

My husband was driving down the interstate when all of a sudden the passenger side airbags deployed. There was nothing that could have caused this to happen except faulty airbags.

- Mccomb, MS, USA

Mar 162014

G6

While on the highway multiple indicators suddenly alerted me to issues with the power steering, ESC system, airbags and traction control systems. The gauges all maxed out and then failed entirely. This was at approximately 70K miles I had the vehicle towed and the repair shop indicated there were no codes that registered during their diagnostic. I was advised there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. I drove the vehicle home and for approximately a month later the issue occurred again, this time my speedometer and all dash functions ceased to work, the same alerts came on and this time the vehicle would lurch into gear and sounded as if it was going to stall out. While I am still able to drive it, I am not able to tell how fast I am going nor do I feel that it is safe to operate the vehicle. I have checked the recall lists and it appears the 2010 Pontiac G6 is not amongst the vehicles being recalled. This is absurd and a danger to every single person on the road while these cars are being driven. GM needs to own up to it's mistakes and correct them in order to retain customers and save lives.

- Columbus , OH, USA

Oct 092013

G6 4-cyl

Service air bag comes on and goes off, and on star says they may not deploy. Other people have had accidents and they dont deploy. I feel like the auto company should recall and fix this.

- Mound City, MO, USA

Apr 152013

G6 4-cyl

The service air bag light and warning script come on and off at different times. Dealer will only look at if we pay for it. They say air bag will not work when this light is on. It is caused by a loose or broken wire under the drivers seat. I have fixed it myself several times without a permanent out come. We feel dealer should fix this safety defect without charge.

- Skaneateles, NY, USA

Mar 062013

G6

The contact owns a 2010 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph and depressing the brakes, the brakes did not engage and the contact crashed into another vehicle. The contact stated that the air bags did not deploy and the vehicle was destroyed. There were no injuries reported. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 63,000.

- Hollswell, MO, USA

Dec 092011

G6 4-cyl

Service air bag light came on when idling, parked, in driveway. Taken to local GM dealer in cleveland, tn. Dealer did not specify repair. Roughly 20,000miles later the service air bag light is back on. What can we do to make GM fix this very common problem?

- Summerville, SC, USA

May 052012

G6 4-cyl

My car rolled over 3 times on the crash the airbags didn't deploy.

- Kila, MT, USA

Sep 142011

G6 6-cyl

On 9/14/2010 my wife was involved in an auto accident in our 2010 Pontiac G6 GT in which she turned from a private drive into the path of another vehicle. The other vehicle was traveling approximately 35-40 mph, impacting our car in the drivers side front fender, wheel assembly, and drivers door. Both airbags were deployed in the other car however none of the airbags in our G6 deployed. There were no life-threatening injuries to the occupants of either vehicle which brings me to my complaint, the entire drivers front fender on our G6 was smashed, the wheel assembly was folded under the car, and the ems/ fire and rescue personell used the jaws-of-life equipment to cut the drivers door off of our G6 to remove my wife. Now what is the purpose of side impact airbag systems if they do not deploy" at what point should they deploy" my wife's head busted the drivers window out as well. I have read that airbags are to deploy any time they are to prevent injury. Almost a month later my wife is still suffering from head/neck/back pain and 14 days after the accident a cat scan still showed a severe concussion.

- Miami, OK, USA