NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2.7

2008 Pontiac G8 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G8:

2008 Pontiac G8 Owner Comments

Aug 072016

G8 8-cyl

Air bag fault light comes on when car is started, which means that the air bags will not work. There is an air bag recall to this car, but they will not fix my car's fault light problem. This is a big safety defect that many GM have, according to your website. Thank you my car has 30,000 miles on it.

- Arlington, MA, USA

Sep 162014

G8

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G8. While the vehicle was stationary, the air bag indicator remained illuminated without warning. The vehicle was repaired, but the issue recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 130,000.

- Ashland, VA, USA

Aug 102016

G8

Passenger seat occupancy module - failure the failure of an electronic module located under the passenger seat, defaults the airbag system to "off". cost is just under $1,000 for dealer replacement. Dealer indicated there was no method to turn on the airbag system - regardless of passenger or not. Because of this failure (many failures recognized since the 2006 solstice model) any passenger is subject to an unsafe condition without active airbag. The value of the vehicle negates the dealer cost to repair. Complaint filer feels the cost of the replacement module should be half of that quoted by the dealer since genuine GM parts are available at $275 instead of dealer cost of $417 and that labor of 2.5 hours to replace module under the seat is excessive based on time taken by others self-correcting the problem. (times indicated ran from 20 minutes to 45 minutes for most). Because of costs, many of these modules will (likely) go un-repaired and potentially un-reported if sold as a used vehicle..

- Hastings, MN, USA

Jul 232016

G8

My car has just over 100K and the airbag light came on with codes B0081 and U0170. The airbags are now not functioning because of a faulty passenger presence module. It happens almost every time I start the vehicle (about 95% of the time). The airbag light illuminates, stays on, and the vehicle shows an airbag fault warning. From the research I've done, this is a very common issue with the Pontiac G8 and the entire airbag system is inoperable once this module needs to be replaced. There are dozens, if not hundreds of complaints regarding this module and the fact that it disables the airbag system. This is a serious safety issue and the end consumer should not have to foot the bill to replace this module, considering that GM knows about this defect and the numerous complaints.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Nov 152015

G8 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G8. The contact stated that the air bag light illuminated soon after the vehicle was purchased three months ago. The light has remained illuminated ever since. The contact called a local dealer and was informed that there were no recalls. The failure was not remedied. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,000....updated 03/31/16 the consumer stated the problem was solved. It was due to a loose wire under the seat. Updated 04/05/16.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Aug 032015

G8

I have gotten a "airbag fault" warning every time I start my car. Apparently this is due to a censor giving out and to repair the issue costs about $1000. This is highly unsatisfactory as many users of this particular vehicle have reported this issue when operating this type of vehicle under normal conditions. This in a sense renders the vehicle unsafe to operate as drivers (some unaware), whivh I was not, are operating the vehicle without any operable airbags. The cost to repair is very high for a feature that is a safety standard across the industry. The airbag system of a vehicle should never have any faults or failures unless it has been deployed or tampered with. It is quite disappointing that a system that has never been used or tampered with can have such costly faults/failures. This is an issue that needs to be addressed immediately. This is scary. I feel like some thing needs to be done to fix the problem. GM needs to recall the module that will fix this issue asap. This air fault is putting many families at risk of loss of life!!! bring attention to this issue or to what is causing it.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Mar 132015

G8

The vehicle has an airbag fault that disables the entire airbag system. To repair the issue costs over $900. This is highly unsatisfactory as many users of this particular vehicle have reported this issue when operating this type of vehicle under normal conditions. This in a sense renders the vehicle unsafe to operate as drivers (some unaware) are operating the vehicle without any operable airbags. The cost to repair is very high for a feature that is a safety standard across the industry. The airbag system of a vehicle should never have any faults or failures unless it has been deployed or tampered with. It is quite disappointing that a system that has never been used or tampered with can have such costly faults/failures. This is an issue that needs to be addressed immediately.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Sep 182013

G8 8-cyl

Ever since I went to have the reprogram done on my air bags system I have gotten a "airbag fault" warning every time I start my car. Since is has happened I just always ignored it until I recently found out that because it does that, my entire air bag system is shut down and my air bags will not deploy in the case of an accident. This upsets me very much, since I caring my family in this vehicle. I feel like some thing needs to be done to fix the problem. GM needs to recall the module that will fix this issue. This air fault is putting many families at risk of loss of life!!! please do something about this !!!

- Potosi , MO, USA

Jan 232015

G8 8-cyl

Air bag fault light comes on immediately upon turning vehicle on and system checks run through. After this occurs, the air bag dummy light indicator turns on as well and regardless if a passenger is sitting on the passenger seat, the passenger side airbag does not turn on.

- Peyton, CO, USA

Jul 132013

G8

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G8. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 11V534000 (air bags) but did not want to have the repairs performed because there was an additional component associated with the air bag that needed to be repaired. This component was not covered under the recall. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 134,000.

- Quinton, AL, USA

Jun 012013

G8 8-cyl

With approximately 72,000 miles and less than 5 years old while driving my 2008 Pontiac G8 GT the air bag light came on. After checking with onstar the error codes were U0170 and B0081. There have been prior recalls associated with the programming on the air bag system and my car has had an airbag module replaced once already. A quick search on the internet shows numerous other people experiencing the same issue on Pontiac G8S that in many cases have even less miles than mine on them. Many of the stories online are littered with dealer estimates to repair this problem, with repairs running upwards of $900+ to replace one module (GM part no. 92225595), and that might not even fix the problem. In some cases dealers are diagnosing the sensor (GM part no. 92220398) as having to be replaced as well, which is another $900+. I find it hard to believe that so many people are having this issue (at least that are reporting it online) and there must be many others as well that haven't taken to the online forums to report their problem. With a repair as costly as this one (on a car whose market value is roughly $15,000) I find it hard to believe many are making the required repairs as the cost to do it is significant (and in my case >10% of the total market value of the car). I would appreciate a further look into this issue with a Focus on how many of GM part no. 92225595 have been manufactured/bought in the last 3 years for use on a Pontiac G8. I imagine many more will have this same problem in the future on cars that have a minimal amount of miles. I believe a recall, or look into a recall, is warranted. Thank you

- Mchenry, IL, USA

Jul 192013

G8 8-cyl

I went to go on a short trip, and as soon as the vehicle started the message, " air bag fault" read in my driver information center. I took the vehicle to the dealership and they diagnosed the problem as the passenger presence module was faulty, part number 92225595. Quoted me about 800 dollars for the repair. Like others have posted on this site, when that message is displayed, that indicates that the whole airbag SRS is deactivated. I questioned how this wasn't a recall since it is an obvious safety issue on a car that is 5 years old, and the response was, "we don't know." I have replaced the module myself and have had a GM dealer reprogram it do my vehicle. What really irks me off, is that the part number for part that became faulty, is different than the replacement part that was used to fix the issue. This blatantly indicates that GM is well aware of the issue since they are the ones who recommended me to replace the faulty part with this "updated" part. This would not be such a big issue because I am well aware of the fact that some parts are subject to being replaced because of normal wear and tear, but this is a module that literally sits under the passenger seat bottom, and is not subject to any kind of outside elements, mechanical moving capability, or the elements, so the only way this part could fail is because of an improper design or other element that the customer has no control over. That reason alone shows why this module, being a key part in the SRS system, should be recalled and installed with the new updated module. I hope the NHTSA looks into this issue seriously, and takes action.

- Columbia , MO, USA

Jul 262013

G8 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G8. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V534000 (air bags) and repaired. After the recall repair was performed, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis, who stated that the air bag sensor would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 31,000.

- Lititz, PA, USA

Oct 252012

G8 8-cyl

The passenger seat presence module in the vehicle fails prematurely, in my opinion. The failure of this module means if you have a crash, your vehicles safety airbags will not deploy. You start your vehicle and the airbag fault light illuminates and you get an audible alarm. I understand I have a 3 year warranty on my vehicle which was up in March of 2011. There was a recall where the same module had to be reprogrammed, which I had done in 2011 I believe. There is an enthusiast website for this particular car ( G8 board.com ).on this website, I see lots of owners have this problem. This is a $ $1,000 repair including parts / labor. My complaint is that my car is seldom driven, stays in a garage under cover and has only 5,689 as off getting the repair done yesterday ( 7-24-13 ). I held off getting repair as I didn't have the $ $1,000 for the repair when I first got the alarm. I see on this website that several owners are refusing to pay this outrageous cost for this repair and riding around without airbags.I consider this dangerous and irresponsible on everyone's part. GM's response to me was that my warranty was up in March 2011 and there are no recalls as of now, so sorry about your luck. I just hope we do not need a few deaths over a component module that should have a longer shelf life than 4 or 5 years.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Jan 242012

G8

There was a recall for the air bags in my 2008 Pontiac G8. Two week after I had this problem fixed at the GM dealer, my air bag failure light came on, indicating that if I were in a crash, my air bag may not work properly. I believe these two issues are related, even though the GM dealer stated they were not.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Oct 152010

G8

The air bags stopped working. Dash and computer icons signaled failure. Made appointment at GM to inspect, they indicate the control module for the airbags is not working. After two weeks they cannot locate part to make repair. They will not offer a loaner car. They cannot advise when parts will be available. The car is not compliant with federal regulation, and they are not able to repair. This seems inappropriate. And is very unsafe for my family. I have spoken with GM customer care and they have not been able to help.

- Grand Island, NY, USA

Jan 242009

G8

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G8. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who could figure out the cause of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Aug 102008

G8

I purchased a new car in July 2008 and the airbags only detect my weight part of the time. According to GM and the dealership, the airbags may or may not detect up to 125lbs. I weigh 134lbs. When I stated this to the dealership they stated to me that even weight over 125lbs may or may not be detected. I contacted GM and they stated they trust what ever the dealership told me. This information doesn't make sense to me. I thought airbags are for safety.

- Leo, IN, USA

Nov 102008

G8

Air bag module is bad. Air bag warning light remains on and air bag is disabled. GM recommended the dealership replace the wrong module (in the passenger seat). The main module was not an available part and was told it had to be ordered from australia. GM does not seem to stock critical parts for this auto and now it's well over a month that I have to wait for this part.. if it even is the cause of the malfunction. This is a safety issue that appears to be wide spread if you view the complaints on the user G8 forum on line.

- Clifton, NJ, USA