NHTSA — Tires Problems

2004 Pontiac GTO (Page 1 of 3)

6.4

2004 Pontiac GTO wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac GTO:

2004 Pontiac GTO Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 272009

GTO

Pontiac GTO uneven tire ware. 16700 miles and the tires are shot. One went flat, luckily not on the highway.

- Seville, OH, USA

Dec 102008

GTO

2 tires on the right rear have been shredded on the inside edge (perimeter) of the tire. The first time was blamed on alignment. I have since learned there is a design problem with my 2004 GTO.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

May 172005

GTO

Contact owns a 2004 Pontiac GTO purchased new Oct 2004. The front tires are rubbing against the struts. The failure has curved out a groove approximately half inch deep for passenger side tire. The vehicle has not been inspected by a dealer or mechanic for this issue. The failure occurs at any speed. Current mileage is 19 500 and first front tire blown out occurred around 7000 miles while car was ~1 year old.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Dec 152007

GTO

My 2004 Pontiac GTO needed new tires at just over 13,000 miles. There was extreme inner tire wear. I had the car for just a few months and had only put 5K miles on the car. The dealership claimed it was not a defect and that I would just have to buy tires ever 10-15K miles.

- Snellville, GA, USA

May 172008

GTO

The inside of my tires were abnormally worn when I replaced them according to the mechanics at sam's club, one dangerously so. They showed me the old tires and indeed they were more worn on the inside than anywhere else. One had the steel belts coming out. My car is a 2004 Pontiac GTO with 33,000 miles.

- Frankenmuth, MI, USA

Mar 122008

GTO 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac GTO. The front passenger side tire is rubbing against the struts. The failure has curved out a groove approximately one inch deep. The vehicle has not been inspected by a dealer or mechcanic. The failure occurs at any speed. The failure mileage was 31,670 and current mileage was 31,683.

- Hampton, GA, USA

Feb 252008

GTO 8-cyl

Last night, for the second time, the inside of my front left tire shredded while on the highway traveling at around 70mph. Both times this has happened, I was fortunate not to lose control of the vehicle. In researching the problem, I find that there are class action lawsuits already happening relating to a design flaw on my 2004 Pontiac GTO that causes the front tires to rub against the suspension struts. I have had to replace two sets of tires because of this problem, and the resale value of the GTO is also affected negatively.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 242007

GTO 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac GTO. Upon checking the vehicle, the contact discovered that the inner part of both front tires were rubbing on the struts. There were no recalls regarding this failure. The current mileage was 123,000 and failure mileage was 10,000.

- Fredricksburg, VA, USA

Dec 162007

GTO 8-cyl

Tires rubbing strut causing premature tire wear. Had alignment under warranty after GM replaced tires due to excessive vibration at 15000. Was advised by GM that was alignment issue and took it to another manufactures dealer for alignment was advised in spec....

- Locust Grove, GA, USA

Nov 072007

GTO 8-cyl

I was on the internet and I came across defects on the 2004-2006 Gtos and since I have one I investigated. The complaints were that the stock size tires were rubbing on the struts in front of the vehicle. So, I have a 2004 GTO with only 7,800 miles on it. I went out turned said vehicle on turned the wheel almost till it would stop and peeked under the car and low and behold contact with strut;on both sides. Called GM in detroit, they had no idea of the problem. Ignored me. Did not return my phone calls, they said they would. Took vechicle to dealership to fix car. Dealer said everything looked good except the camber in front of car. Dealer fixed camber, made me pay $100. Dollars. I call GM 10 times in detroit, have not received call back from my representitive. Also spent $400 on two new 235/45 for the front; because even after they "fixed it" the stock tires wre stll 1/4 inch away from the strut. So it has cost me $500 to hopefully fix the car I do not even own.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Oct 072007

GTO 8-cyl

Problem with steering control and slow air leak out of front right tire, led me to bring my car to just tires in December 2005. The technicians removed the front right tire and found that the inner wall of the tire was shredded. I then took my car to the Pontiac dealer and paid over $700 for a faulty tire rod arm. On October 7, 2007 while driving 65 mph down a busy interstate, the steering became unsteady as a loud rumbling noise commenced. About 15 seconds later the rear passenger side tire exploded and I was driving on the rim with limited control of the car, trying to pull off to the side of the road. As I put a spare tire on the car, there was shredded rubber wrapped around the axle and brake linkage that was difficult to remove. With the spare tire in place, I slowly drove 8-10 miles to my local Pontiac dealer where I parked my car until the next business day, so I could cancel my lease early.

- Clarendon Hills, IL, USA

Jun 012005

GTO 8-cyl

I purchused my 2004 Pontiac GTO in November of 2004 I was one of the first to owen this car in 2004. However about 9,000 miles of me driving my car I had rear tire problems the camber and toe was not straigh. I took my car back to the dealer ship and they told me not there problem. I took my car to a number of diffrent alinment places and they all checked alinment and said it was off a little but not enough to were only on the inside of the rear tiers. I replace the tires my self. About 1,000 miles later my steering was shaking and front end, the first thing I thought it was my rotoers I went to replace and relize it was my front tires. Again I took to dealer and again they turn me away. I contacted Pontiac and GM they said the will sent an inspector to look at car that never happen> the dealer ship did not want to set up with me. Pontiac told me they do not go to people houses for that it has to be done in dealership. I went to another dealer and they told me they never heard of anything like that. I replace my tires more then 3 times in front and 2 times in back and everytime had an alinment done. The first time I had fronts replaced they told me that the front tires are rubbing agenst the struts. I did not go to dealer to be turned away. I cant keep affording new tires everytime 6,000 comes. I purchused a new car to have no headachs but instead I have more and spend a lot of money. Also the gas cap gets stuck on when I get gas.

- Bay Shore, NY, USA

Dec 222006

GTO 8-cyl

I have a 2004 Pontiac GTO with 47K miles on it now. December 2006 I was driving home from an out of town trip 4 hours away from home. I noticed that the front end was riding kind of low. I pulled over and checked the tires for a puncture but I did not see one. So I pulled over to the first gas station to get air. The tires looked like there was enough tread so I thought nothing of it. When I go home I pulled into the driveway and cut the wheels as far to the left as possible. I went inside an did not pay attention to the tires. When I came back out I noticed both tires on the front of the car had worn down to the belts on the inside tread only. I could not see the wear by just looking at the outside of the tires. I was lucky I did not have a blow out. I went to the tire dealer early the next morning and got new tires put on the front. They only had about 10K miles on them. I thought the tires may be defective and the manager at the tire store said they were rubbing against the strut on the car. I figured if GM had meant these tires to go on this car than maybe it is just in need of an alignment, so I had that done. That was 8 months ago and I check the tread all the time looking for any pre-mature wear. Then I see the channel 5 cleveland story on the internet just looking for recall information on my car. I have had numerous problems lately. I learned that I am not the only one with this problem so I decided to complain about the defect. I wish GM would just tell everyone what a better tire size would be rather than risk bad publicity. I also have to replace my rear tires as they wear in the middle. I think this may be another problem. Updated 02-28-08 updated

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 302007

GTO 8-cyl

Car is 2004 Pontiac GTO. Noted that steering wheel was shaking rather violently and upon closer inspection of front tires, noted abnormal and acute wear of drive side front tire resulting in tire rubbing against strut of vehicle.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Jul 192007

GTO 8-cyl

GM service tech advised would need tires soon 1,500 miles ago. Car has 28,000 miles. Took in to have slow leak fixed only to be told steel belts showing through on inside of tires. Took to have 4 new tires put on, replaced with same tires that came from manufacturer and they rub the struts going down the road. How can Pontiac put tires that are too big on these cars and get away with it? ended up paying $532 for smaller tires 235's vs. 245's that the manufacturer put on. GM says need to do alignment and change camber adjustment. Not happy with that answer, its a bandaide and will cause new tires to wear on the outside prematurely. I still have the tires that came off the car. Also original australian car had 235's GM decided to put the bigger 245's on the GTO for the us.

- Cedar Lake, IN, USA

May 162004

GTO 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac GTO. The contact stated that both front B.F. goodrich tires on the vehicle were excessively worn. The dealer replaced the tires and aligned the vehicle under warranty. The contact was informed that the vehicle also had a power steering leak. The dealer replaced the power steering rack and aligned the vehicle. The contact has noticed that the two front tires are beginning to wear again. The dot number, tire, purchase date, and mileage information were unavailable.

- Mcdonald, PA, USA

May 162007

GTO 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac GTO. While driving 35 mph, the drivers side rear tire blew out. The failure did not cause any damage, but the dealer stated that the remaining three tires were also going to blow out. The tires displayed cords and an alignment was performed at 15,000 miles. The current and failure mileages were 23,000.

- Desoto , MO, USA

Jun 192006

GTO 8-cyl

Campaign # PE07010 front tires were rubbing the strut housing and wearing prematurely and unevenly. Tires were replaced at ~18,000 miles and a front-end alignment was performed. The new tires also rubbed the strut housing and wore prematurely and unevenly and were replaced after 10,000 miles. Spacers were placed between the wheel and brake rotor to stop the tires from rubbing the strut housing, but the real problem seems to either be a design flaw or suspension parts wearing prematurely.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Apr 302007

GTO 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac GTO. While driving 65 mph the contact heard a flapping noise. After observing the vehicle the front passenger tire peeled into strips. The tire was a B.F. goodrich. The road and weather conditions were not a factor. There were no injuries. The tire has not been replaced. The failure and current mileage was 18,000.

- Washington, IN, USA

Nov 242006

GTO 8-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac GTO. While surveying the vehicle, the contact noticed that the struts were rubbing against the tires. This failure caused the tires to wear out to the wire. The two front tires were replaced, and 3,000 miles later the tires began to wear out again. The vehicle was taken to four dealers, and no one could explain the tire wear. The current mileage was 22,000, and failure mileage was 18,000.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA