NHTSA — Suspension: Front: Control Arm: Lower Arm Problems

3.1

1998 Pontiac Grand Am suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Pontiac Grand Am:

1998 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments

May 062005

Grand Am 6-cyl

Noise heard in front end going over bumps. Failure= lower control arm rear bushings separating from control arm.left and right sides. Correction+ replacement of lower control arms

- Merrimack, NH, USA

Nov 102004

Grand Am 6-cyl

I was informed that the problems related to the difficulty driving my Grand Am and the lound clunking noise and the intense "shimmy" was because my right lower control arm had snapped and my left lower control arm was cracked about to separate as well. I do know a little about cars and this doesn't seem to be a normal maintenance problem. This is costing me well over $600 to repair.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Sep 232004

Grand Am 4-cyl

I have had lower control arm failures on both sides of my 1998 Pontiac Grand Am. The rear bushing pulls apart causing a severe shimmy when braking at high speeds and clanking when going over bumps. It is either a design or manufacturing defect. The dealer has refused to pay costs.

- St Paul, MN, USA