Intake Manifold Gasket Leak

1999 Pontiac Grand Am (Page 2 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Pontiac dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

8.0

2. replace intake manifold gasket (6 reports)
  3. get rid of the car asap (5 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit (3 reports)
  5. manual clean (1 reports)
  6. use fel-pro perma dry metal intake gasket set (1 reports)
1999 Pontiac Grand Am cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am:

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 192008

Grand Am SE 3.4L V6

I didn't think much of this problem until my husband showed me this site.

I was outraged. I copied every complaint including mine and forwarded with a letter

of concern to Pontiac. Might not make a difference however felt it was something

I had to do. I am hoping to get a few more months from my car and then to get

a new one and i promise it will not be a PONTIAC!

- , Cheswick, PA, USA

Aug 122007

Grand Am GT 3.2L Vg

The more I read how common this problem is the less I am convinced it is worth the money to fix due to repeated gasket failures for many customers. I though of doing it myself but If replacing the gaskets is only a very short term fix whats the point?

Please let me know if you have had the same problem and found a solution.

- , Gold Bar, WA, USA

Apr 172007

Grand Am SE V6

This is my second go round with the gasket. I had it repaired last July and now it's starting up again. my mechanic suggested that i get all the gaskets replaced and have the heads checked to be sure there's no cracks in them. I had some sealant sprayed on the area where it was leaking and I don't know how long that will keep the problem at bay. This does appear to be a problem with the grand ams... I hope a class action suit is filed.

- , Oakland, CA, USA

Sep 032007

Grand Am 3.2L

Intake gasket leaking, running hot. Replaced thermostat, coolant tank, replaced heat sensing unit, replaced manifold gasket, and still no solution. Still leaked even after replacing gasket. Help!!!! Why hasn't GM done something about it.

- , Ruby, SC, USA

Jun 172007

Grand Am GT V6

I've had to replace the coolant periodically for a while now. Took it to 3 dealerships and 5 local mechanics and no one could find the leak. However, about 2 weeks ago, I FOUND THE STUPID THING. So the intake seal needs to be replaced. OH AND BE REALLY CAREFUL!!!! WINDOW CLIPS SHATTER AND YOUR WINDOW WILL TOO IF YOUR NOT CAREFUL.

- , Havelock, NC, USA

Mar 272007

Grand Am GT V6

Never buy going to buy another pontiac. The amount of money I have spent keeping this car running, I could have bought a brand new car and paid for it in cash.

- , Edenton, NC, USA

Mar 192007

Grand Am GT 3.4L

I too, am joining the list of unsatisfied customers who have had this problem. I have replaced the upper/lower intake 2 times on this car. The latter as recently as 2 months ago and now the coolant light is back on again. I will also be pursuing legal avenues in a quest to remedy this situation.

- , Durham, NC, USA

Mar 122007

Grand Am GT V6

Just had the THIRD intake manifold gasket replaced in my Grand Am. Reading online, I see that it's a common problem that Pontiac wouldn't recall. I'm on a mission to get Pontiac to pay for this well known defect. I see there was a class action suit against them in Canada, but I don't see that one has been filed in the US. If anybody else has gotten anywhere with Pontiac, please let me know. I'll report back if I have any luck.

- , Tulsa, OK, USA

Feb 102007

Grand Am SE 2.4L

Hi! I think I'm having the same issue also. At least that is what the mechanics are telling me. My car will once a month keep running low on coolant as the coolant is leaking also through the manifold? It also struggles at times when I press the gas to accelerate! It is a scary problem that some mechanics cannot figure out. I've had some mechanics go as far as saying it is a better idea to just get a new engine.

- , Reseda, CA, USA

Jan 202007

Grand Am V6

I guess my car's just another one............ intake gasket leaking....... what are they gonna do about this?!

- , Evansville, IN, USA

Aug 302006

Grand Am SE

Seems like this happens a lot with these cars. Some places will charge you $1500-2500, because of the time that it is booked at. Apparently, it's a pain to fix, so most people don't want to do it. At a dealership, I paid $487 to have it fixed.

- , Lincoln, NE, USA