NHTSA — Service Brakes, Hydraulic: Foundation Components: Disc Problems Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

2001 Pontiac Grand Am brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am:

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments

Jul 162003

Grand Am 6-cyl

Bought car brand new. Returned car to dealer twice for grinding noise in front brakes. Each time they told me they could not find any problems. Last time it was in, Dec. 02 at approx. 18,000 mi. They told me my tires were low on air"??" now it has 25,148 mi. Took car in for third time with grinding brakes, this time they tell me I need front pads and rotors that are not covered under warranty at a cost of $350. The service manager also told me that these cars are know for unusually brake wear. I asked for assistance on the repairs since I had the car in previously for brake grinding noise and they could not find anything. Also asked them why, in Dec. 02, they didn't tell me that my brake pads should be replaced soon as they must of been worn down pretty good at that time. Their reply was that my brakes apparantly were ok at that time.....bull!! you cann't tell me that at 18,000 miles the brakes look that good where you don't say anything to the customer but 7,000 miles later you need to replaced the brake pads and rotors. Also, they offered me 10% off the total bill as their assistance to me. Itold them to keep their 10 %. I pulled car out of they shop and had a local repair shop that I trust perform the identical same work for $200. I have all failed parts if anyone wants to inspect them, just notify me. After reviewing your service bulletins, various other customer complaints and several other articles, I really believe that Pontiac has a front end brake problem that they do not want to admit to and I think that someone should look into this problem before the problem turns deadly.

- Fairless Hills, PA, USA