7.8

2. reset security system (8 reports)
  3. put key in on position for 10mins-turned off-then turned on (5 reports)
  4. clean and tighten battery terminals (3 reports)
  5. bang on gas tank (2 reports)
  6. cam shaft sensor replaced (2 reports)
2001 Pontiac Grand Am electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am:

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 212013

Grand Am SE 2.4L Twin Cam

New problem....or the original/another/first problem - however you want to describe it.

The car has on several occasions simply refused to start, the car tries to turn over but wont "catch".

After I go through the "security system reset" process I learned about online, I have been able to get the car to start - although on more then one occasion it has taken more then one attempt. Still, it is EXTREMELY ANNOYING to have a car I have to wait 15 minutes to start, or is likely to not start.

This has happened on several occasions and I will report any future incidents as new complaints.

PONTIAC....WHY ARE YOU NOT DEALING WITH THESE PROBLEMS?

I have spent a great deal of money trying to get this "fixed" but have yet to find a mechanic who understands the problem.....anyone - need help.

- , Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Sep 022012

Grand Am

Car wouldn't start (things happen) replaced fuel pump....Ok lets drive...One week later guess what car won't start, 200 miles from home....Car towed to different fix it shop. You guessed it need to replace fuel pump. After telling mechanic the fuel pump is 1 week old he says I will need the car for a few more days. I go to pick up car and was told turn car to start 10 min.....So for 10 min fix I blew a vacation...At what point does GM step up and do the right thing. They paid there debt to Gov early good news now spend some profit fixing your F_ _ _UP..

- , Cresco, IA-Iowa, USA

Aug 192012

Grand Am SE 2.4L

My car started acting strange about a year ago. The Traction Off light would come on & off at random times, same with the Service Engine light- it would be on for a day and then off the next. The AC only works at 70% for no apparent reason. The blinker sound in my car is almost constantly going off even when I'm not using my blinker. It has stalled a few times on me this past week and now it will turn like it's about to start but doesn't ever fully start/turn over. My battery is less than a year old and I've already put sooo much $$ into fixing the car already. I think it's a hopeless case and I'll just have to buy a new car. :(

- , St. Louis Park, MN, USA

Jun 012010

Grand Am ?

I bought a used 2001 Pontiac Grand Am in 2009 for my kids. We had it towed home once when (apparently) the theft control system malfunctioned and it would not start. I looked on the internet and found out that this is a common problem, and how to disconnect it, but it did not happen again, so I let it slide. When we took it to the GM dealer for diagnosis; they said it needed a whole new computer, and other electrical repairs totaling over $2000. We took it home without doing the work (it's not worth $2000) and the kids have continued driving it. No wonder GM is bankrupt, if they will not fix their defective cars. I know that cars don't last forever, and I don't mind if they wear out over a long time, but to have defective parts that cause inconvenience will prevent me from buying another GM car.

- , Sonoma, CA, USA

Jan 102012

Grand Am 3.4L

Started normal, I drove it 3 blocks while sitting at a light in drive foot on brake it died. Once dead the battery light was on. Jumped it when starting it turns over then dies as soon as the car starts. It makes the same engine sounds at the same strength as any other time I have started it. All the lights work and radio also power windows, so I know the battery isn’t dead. Which leaves me suspect it was not a problem with the alternator. Fuse issue? How to tell and which fuses would it be? Also I cant be certain if the security light came on though the battery and oil lights did but my ignition was on but car not started so cant be certain this helps. Also if its not the security thing what else could I try trouble shooting?

- , Hamilton, ON, canada

Nov 262011

Grand Am GT

Called GM in MI. to check on recalls, person I talked with was hesitant, but replied that no recalls had been made. Then asked if he knew what was causing the problem, was told he wasn't a Technician but didn't offer to transfer me to one. This is the 4th time this problem has occurred. My car has only been serviced by a GM Dealership Service Department, when it happened the 1st time last year, they couldn't find the problem and I was told to turn the switch on for 15 mins and it SHOULD crank. Well, 2nd time couldn't find the problem and was told the same. So 3rd & now the 4th time it has been towed again to a different garage. Who has time to wait 15 mins. to crank a vehicle, certainly not me. I may be old, but heck I want my car running. Definitely can't afford another vehicle and CERTAINLY DON'T WANT TO BE STRANDED!!! Previously owned a 1993 Pontiac Grand AM GT and over the ownership of the vehicle, spent less than $700.00 on repairs with mileage of over 200,000 miles when traded. Just wanted a new car when traded. NOW IT IS TIME FOR GM TO STEP UP AND FIND A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM AND RECALL THESE VEHICLES IN TO A GM DEALERSHIP FOR REPAIR.

- , Homer, GA, USA

Oct 202010

Grand Am GT 3.4L

FIRST HAPPENED IN 2009.HAD TOWED AND REPAIRMAN REPLACED IGNITION KEY SWITCH FOR $350.

SECOND TIME WAS 2010.HAD TOWED AGAIN AND WAS IGNITION KEY SWITCH AND HE TOLD ME THAT IT WAS A COMMON PROBLEM.

HAVING INSTALLED REMOTE CAR STARTERS,I KNEW THERE IS A RESISTANCE VALUE IN THE SWITCH THAT THE COMPUTER SEES AND UNLOCKS THE SECURITY MODULE.I TOLD HIM TO CHECK TO RESISTANCE AND INSTALL A RESISTOR IN THE SWITCH WIRES.HE TOLD ME HE HAD ALREADY DONE THAT AND I HAVENT HAD ANYMORE ELECTRICIAL PROBLEMS.

- , Kasson, MN, USA

May 292011

Grand Am GT

I'm glad this WEB site is here, it did help me to identify the problem with my Grand Am and its Bull Sh** 'Security" issue..

I totally agree with the others on this post, WHY isn't GM owning up to this, they know that it is a problem there is over 65 complaints on it here, and if you go to You Tube there is endless videos describing this same thing .... Same thing happened to me, I tried to start and its always been inconstant when trying to start, sometimes it fires right up others it takes a few turn of the key.. Tonight went to start it and NOTHING !!!! Had to sit and wait 10 minutes for it to start ..

My trust in this car is no gone, I will NOT pay GM 900.00 to replace something that should have been recalled years ago .... There is a video that goes into great detail on how to remove it yourself so that the ignition doesn't have to be replaced... I just bought this car less then a month ago. and already I'm regretting it... Should have bought a Mustang !!!

Lesson learned I will NEVER !!!!!! buy another GM car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Caledonia, MI, USA

Oct 042011

Grand Am SE 2.4L

This is the second time my car has done this, granted i have had the car since 2002 and never had any problems until a few months ago. a mechanic told me it was the fuel pump so i was out that money and when it was put on the car still wouldn't start! my dad got it on a trailer and took it to a garage and when the car got there, IT STARTED!!! now again today the car did the same thing...instead of spending more money i found this website...i tried the key trick and it worked..left in in the "on" position for 10 mins and it started up!!!! SO TRY THIS BEFORE U EVEN TALK TO A MECHANIC!!

- , Staffordsville, KY, USA

Sep 242011

Grand Am 2.6L

I have had this problem happen continuously for over two years. I have been able to get it started after letting it sit for awhile but this time nothing was working. We called a mechanic and the solution was so simple I wanted to share with others as it seemed like the ignition might not be working, then it also seemed like it might be the fuel pump. As I was reading the posts on my daughter in laws phone to see how we could fix it since we were broken down at a gas pump and could not fix. After pushing off to the side and working on it for three hours, trying to get out of town, the mechanic of our friends said 'get in the car, shut the door, lock it, then unlock, then start the car'. OMG, it started right up. So if you have the anti theft come on and it seems like you are not getting gas, just Get IN, LOCK the doors, then UNLOCK the doors, then START YOUR ENGINE...IT WORKS. Hope to save you some money as nothing is really wrong except the anti theft mechanism is over working.

- , Blackfoot, ID, USA

Thanks to finding this Site--We were able to FIX the car Ourselves

- , Haines City, Florida, USA

Nov 012010

Grand Am 4 2.4

So I bought this car in february of this year and never had any problems with it. I have a remote to the car and can start the car with this remote, well this morning I am trying to start it with the remote and it wouldn't start it turned over but wouldn't start, so I walked out to the car to start it and again it would turn over like it wanted to start but wouldn't. It acted like it was out of gas so I thought maybe it was my fuel pump but when I turned the key I could hear it kick on. I got on here to see if this was a common problem for this car and seen all the posts from people having the same issue, someone had posted to leave the key in the ON position for 10 mins and it will reset the system and start so I did that and it worked, but I'm worried about how long that will work and if i should stop using my remote to even unlock the doors ? Ive read that people get stranded and I cant have that happen. Any advice on this quick fix will be appreciated.

- , South Beloit, IL, USA

Sep 102010

Grand Am SE V6

well i was doing normal driving and i stop get get something to eat, come back out and then my car wont start first i check the normal things i.e. gas i was good. i knew that it wasn't my battery because it was trying to turn over but acting like it had no gas. so i got mad i have already put over 8,000 into this car because of other problems and this sh*t happened. i changed out my spark plugs and still the same thing. i heard about Toyota how they had a recall on some of there parts .i didnt know what to do and then i check Google which took me here to this website . with very helpful tips. i read about half of them and didn't think, that something like this was possible. GM should definitely do something about this. Thanks everyone for your tips

- , Yuma, AZ, USA

Jun 082010

Grand Am 3.4L

i have 2001 pontiac grand am 3.4 liter engine and the crank sensor keeps going out i have replaced it 4 times and again the same thing is there something shorting them out plz he me or could it be this passlock everybodt is talking about i have seen my security light come on a few times but when i replace the crank sensor it will start and run for a week 3 months or 3 days...

- , Mount Carbon, WV, USA

May 222010

Grand Am SE 3.4L V6

I have had nothing but problems with this car. Before I had overheating, now the piece of crap won't start and I just made my last car payment. I had a fuel pump,3 fuel injectors and a computer put on it new spark plugs costing over $500.00 . It was worked on and ran for 3 days after I bought four new tires and had a front and back alignment this piece of crap wouldn't start when I stopped at the store and that's where it is still sitting at the store. I am going to try getting another key without the chip and see

- , Roanoke, VA, USA

Jun 052010

Grand Am GT 3.4L

have the same problem here the security light was blinking but ive tried the 10 minutes reset and it works thanks for the info guys.

- , Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Mar 192010

Grand Am SE 2.4L

Just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This web site probably saved me a ton of money trying to figure out what was wrong with my car. It was turning over, but just wouldn't start! A couple of times it would catch and start, but then it would shut right back off. I thought i was going to have to have it towed to a dealer or something. Luckily, i Google it and got this website, and sure enough, I wasn't the only one having this problem. I followed the advice from others with the same problem. I turned the key to on for 10 minutes, turned it off, and then it started right up. What a relief, thanks to everyone for saving me a bundle!!

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Dec 162009

Grand Am 4 cyl

This is the second time I've had a similar issue with this car. I purchased it used a couple of years ago and except for brakes, oil and tires, I haven't had any other issues. Last time, I had the car towed to a AAA Firestone and they replaced a computer chip, stating it was a security chip that went bad. This time the car would crank but wouldn't start, just before Christmas. I had promised the car to my sister to use when she visited for the holiday, but since it wouldn't start, I asked my neighbors, one of whom works as a mechanic at a dealership, look at the car, they tried starting it with starter spray and got a sputter out of it, but no start. We ended up draining the battery and I decided to let the car sit until after the Christmas holiday because we had relatives visiting and too much going on.

This morning we had the AAA come and tow it to the Firestone and it cost just under $100 for them the reset the security system and charge the battery. They had it running in just a few minutes. This is absolutely ridiculous. I think that we all should band together, those of us whom have experienced similar problems, and file lawsuits in small claims court against the manufacturer for our bills, as this is definitely some sort of defect. I'm going to see if I can find the number or contact information for Pontiac first and notify them of my claim before filing, and see if they intend to pay my bill. If not I will file my small claims lawsuit. I suggest that everyone else do the same. At the very least, it will cost GM quite a bit of money to pay an attorney to show up at each proceeding to fight each claim. Certainly it will be less money for them to pay off each claim and/or fix each vehicle than to pay an attorney each time someone files a lawsuit.

- , Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Jun 062009

Grand Am SE 2.4L 4 cyl

click to see larger images

engine turns over but will not start

well...here's the problem, my wife bought a PONTIAC!!! really though, the car cranks but wont start! everything in the ignition system works and the fuel pump works(i heard it sending fuel), but i cant get it to start! so i'm not going to replace a working fuel pump, but i dont know how to get the car to start. i've heard that it can be a security thing, but i dont know for sure. anyone have any suggestions? oh....and I HATE PONTIACS!!!!

- , Spencer, IN, USA