NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

2001 Pontiac Grand Am fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am:

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments

Apr 122014

Grand Am 6-cyl

Went to get in my car at the store and the security light was on and car wouldn't start had to have it towed across town. Then I read that it is a common problem with these vehicles. Now I hear GM is recalling for ignition switch. Which is what is wrong with my vehicle. Im afraid it will happen while im driving. Lets hope not. Went to the GM web page they said it wasn't recalled and then I see it on a recall list. I guess I need to pursue this a little more to get the problem solved.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Mar 212014

Grand Am

I was driving down the street and the car just shuts off while driving or slowing down. They are saying the fuel injector is bad.

- Minneapolis , MN, USA

Aug 282013

Grand Am 4-cyl

On my way to work (2nd shift) in rush hour traffic as I was preparing to merge onto the highway the car simply shut-off blocking traffic. (I was eventually - 20 minutes - able to get help to push the car off the road.) everything shut off and car would not restart....everything including the power-steering. This has happened one other time and the vehicle is now nothing more then a two-ton paperweight in my garage - and about as useful. On a second occasion it cut-off as I pulled into traffic and almost caused a collision...fortunately I was able to coast far enough to get into the turn lane and then when traffic cleared to push it back off the road. An online search told me this is a well-known problem with the security system of the vehicle but there seems no agreement on a solution/fix. Evidently the security system simply does not recognize the key (even when it is the correct one) and thinks the car is being stolen and thus shuts itself off. What would/could have happened if this occurred while I was at speed in traffic" if Pontiac knows about this why is there no recall....does someone have to die first"

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Sep 032012

Grand Am

Fuel system, gasoline details: @ times you can smell gas on the inside of the recently put $690 into changing the entire fuel system before that it cost me $1100 for the entire coolant system $250 for coil pack and cover frequently sparkplugs changed out the ac buttons wont allow the ac to turn on I live in the South we burn up down here with no ac in a car and again on this past Sunday I just put another 4170 into sparkplugs and coil packs only to find out that all my problems are caused from the cars security anti - theft device that is defective I lose power no RPM's car will die in the middle of the interstate that I have to drive in downtown greeville SC and towns like atlanta and chattanooga tn the small things are the radio the lights the headlamps don't shine no brighter than a candle on a birthday cake not to mention that I go thru breaks and tires like they are candy it seems to wear a groove on the inside back passenger tire and the front drivers side makes this loud grinding noise that I think could be the brake booster ball not sure on that but I have spent enough money on this car to keep it going I could have bought 2 new vehicles can someone please have Pontiac look into recalls.

- Wildwood , FL, USA