NHTSA — Equipment Problems Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

2002 Pontiac Grand Am accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am:

2002 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments

Nov 092009

Grand Am

About a year ago car wouldn't start. Had it towed and the service garage replaced the ignition assembly and did a security update. About 2 weeks ago car wouldn't start tried jumping, nothing. Security light on dash was blinking. Researched on computer and found out if you turn key on for fifteen minutes then try to start the car it will start. Well I tried this and it worked. Leaving the key on for fifteen minutes resets the security system on the car. My car has started for the last 2 weeks. I called the dealer and they said they can't disarm the security system and there were no recalls for my car. Maybe this is what the garage did a year ago and charged for a new assembly because I still use the original key. Please help because I am not alone and this problem really confuses the repairman according to the web site I found this easy fix on.

- Phillipsburg, NJ, USA

May 282006

Grand Am

My 2002 Grand Am has a clicking sound coming from the dashboard. I took it to greenfield Pontiac after hearing about a service bulletin. They told me the bulletin did not cover the problem I had and that since it did not create a safety hazard, it was not covered. The cost to me would be about $300 for a new 'multifunction switch' which is the blinker/directional arm. My turn signals do function properly when I need to use them, and as far as I know the lights are not actually flashing. The clicking is not constant, or everyday, but when it gets going, sometimes it does not stop for 10 to 20 minutes. I think I'm going deaf from turning the radio up so I don't have to hear the clicking. I've had several other bad experiences with this vehicle that were not covered (I.e. timing went at 40,000 mi--big bill!). I will never buy another GM product--they do not stand behind their vehicles!

- Grafton, WI, USA

Oct 102003

Grand Am 4-cyl

I have had my car in the shop several times for problems and they can typically replicate the problem, but cannot fix it. I have had 3 brake jobs on my car, as well as the calipers rebuilt, and my brakes still do not work right. The ABS system fails constantly. I experience slides on dry surfaces even. I also have transmission, coolant, and fueling problems. I have had a fuel pump replaced finally, after the 3rd time of taking it in for not starting, 2 times prior there was nothing supposedly wrong. Also, I am still getting only 125 miles on a tank of gas. They an reciprocate the problem but will not fix it. I also keep getting a low coolant and check engine message lights but they say nothing wrong. The power windows also drag and make marks on the window surfaces. They are very slow rolling up. The light in the radio area fades in and out, and the radio goes off and on alot as well as only the front speakers work primarily. Back do not. Accelerator pedal sticks, and causes car to rev up to 5000 rpms very scary!

- Magnolia, TX, USA