NHTSA — Suspension Problems

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

8.2

2003 Pontiac Grand Am suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Pontiac Grand Am:

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments

Mar 012012

Grand Am 4-cyl

2003 Pontiac Grand Am. Consumer writes in regards to receiving recall information the consumer stated he is experiencing problems with the front end of the vehicle.

- New Lisbon, WI, USA

Aug 172006

Grand Am 6-cyl

Grinding noise from the front end at low speed rattle from the front end at slow turns.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Jun 102003

Grand Am 6-cyl

My suspension pops and cracks like its going to break in half every time I turn the wheel or hit a bump or incline etc... it sounds like my new car is 20 years old, I have complained several times and they act like I'm crazy they have brought it in 4 times and nothing has changed the steering will freeze and jerk out of my hands. Also there has been several times it will not even start, the dealership tells me its a different problem every time, but yet it has never gotten better just worse, it is the worse car I have ever drove and it only has 5,000 miles on it. I have complained since the week after I bought it.

- Murphysboro, IL, USA

Jul 252003

Grand Am 6-cyl

I have had a persistent popping/creaking noise coming from the suspension when encountering any sort of incline or decline (I.e., driveways, curbs, etc.) or intermittently when cornering. There is a technical service bulletin #02-03-03-008 that addresses this issue. The Pontiac dealership in colma, ca has tried three times to replace the sway arm bushing/brackets yet the problem persists. I'm driving a car with 2,000 miles on it yet it sounds like the suspension is 15 years old. At first, the dealership acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. I found the tsb (issued in November 2002) on the internet in about 1 minute. Furthermore, the dealership service department keeps calling GM technical support for help. This gives me no confidence in the abilities of the service technicians. I'm contemplating asking GM to buy this car back.

- Burlingame, CA, USA