NHTSA — Communications: Horn Assembly Problems Seal Of This Might Hurt

2004 Pontiac Grand Am accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am:

2004 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments

Feb 282013

Grand Am 6-cyl

9.13.13 I have been in contact with the local GM dealership, my extended warranty company and representative directly since February 2013 regarding my horn. Several mechanics told me it is a safety issue. The horn is surrounded by the air bag and if it is not working properly, it could be compromised during an accident. Prior to me purchasing the car (which was not on the car fax when purchased used) and may not work properly when I need it to. The horn works under the hood (the lock / unlock remote works properly with the required beep) but when the center of the steering wheel is pressed it does not work. It worked for 1 year and 18 months consistently and then it quick working all together. I am afraid, if I am in a wreck, the steering wheel air bag will not save my life (I do wear my seat belt). I have been advised, by dealerships, mechanics, my extended warranty company, and a representative at GM today 9.3.13 this will need fixed out of pocket - and it will be costly to order the part and repair. I was also advised to file a complaint with the NHTSA. Are vehicle owners reimbursed for items that compromise their safety that should work properly (the horn and airbag in my case)?

- Parkersburg, WV, USA