NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix (Page 1 of 2)

1.8

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 232008

Grand Prix

My vehicle caught on fire while in motion. This happened during a trip to nuevo Laredo, tamaulipas Mexico. It was reported to GM in detail and extensively, a copy of the title, an affidavit and the invoice where the remaining were sold to a junk yard were all mailed to an address provided. I never received a response from GM. Every phone number that has been provided to me leads nowhere. I emailed Mr. Jeffrey M boyer vice president of global vehicle safety at GM this afternoon with cc to Mr. Anthony foxx the secretary of the department of transportation. See the attached notice. Date that I am providing is estimated since it happened a long time ago and I don't have my notes with me.

- Laredo, TX, USA

Mar 302009

Grand Prix 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that while the ignition switch was in the run position, the key could be removed effortlessly. The contact also stated that the key gets stuck frequently which prohibits her from shutting the vehicle off. The failure was persistent. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 07/12/16 updated 07/19/16.

- Fulton, MO, USA

Dec 152015

Grand Prix

The contact owned a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked, the vehicle bursted into flames. A police report was filed. The fire department extinguished the flames. The vehicle was destroyed. There was no injuries. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 189,000.

- Elizabeth Town, NC, USA

Oct 102015

Grand Prix

The contact owned a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that the vehicle caught fire. A fire report was filed. The fire department extinguished the fire. No injuries were sustained. The vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN and failure mileage were unknown.

- Mount Morris, MI, USA

Sep 082015

Grand Prix 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000. Updated 04/20/16

- Garland, TX, USA

Oct 102014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. When the contact attempted to start the vehicle, the ignition failed to start. The failure was persistent. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 131,000.

- Sterling, IL, USA

Jan 102012

Grand Prix 6-cyl

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. Consumer writes in regards to heater switch and ignition switch problems. The consumer stated the switch for the heater stopped working. As the consumer was leaving the repair shop, the ignition switch started smoking. The ignition switch and blower motor were replaced.

- Redmond, WA, USA

Dec 192014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that when attempting to turn off the vehicle, the key failed to turn in the ignition. The key could be removed after numerous attempts. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the entire ignition switch cylinder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 106,000.

- Albert Lea , MN, USA

Jun 112013

Grand Prix

Sometimes the headlights and air will not come unless you stop and restart. It appears to be in the ignition switch.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 302013

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel seized and the vehicle stalled. The battery and oil warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and the vehicle was repaired. The details of the repair were unknown. The failure recurred. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 173,000.

- Akron, OH, USA

Feb 052013

Grand Prix 6-cyl

My gas gauge doesn't work and the only time it does is when the needle floats back and forth between E and F. I'm not sure why this is but when I research about it there are many of complaints regarding the same issue. I would just like to know if the reason is a faulty GM part or if this happens all the time.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Jan 092014

Grand Prix

Second request...on Jan 9, 2014, I was parked in my car having lunch with the motor running. For no apparent reason, the engine caught fire, causing the fuel lines to burst. The car was not drivable after that. That evening, when I got home, I had a recall from GM for my vehicle in the mail. (code 07035) I called GM the following day, told them of the incident and they became my best friends, especially when I told them no one was injured. GM made an appointment and had me tow (at my expense) my car to sam swope auto center where it was evaluated. At no time did sam swope say the fire wasn't caused by the recall issue. The bill to repair was going to be $4,700. Sam swope said they could not fix without authorization from GM. After 2 weeks of getting the runaround and being asked questions like, "how many Pontiac have you owned" and "how loyal of a customer are you", they decided the car was too old and had too many miles to repair and stated that GM's liability ends 4 yrs after purchase, but did offer to fix the recall. I asked why if they didn't assume any liability after 4 yrs, why send a recall. The rep stated that they are computer generated. I explained that I didn't want to sue anyone, I just wanted my car either fixed or totaled out so I could purchase something else. By the way, I've owned 7 Pontiac, and 12 GM cars total. I'm 62 yrs old. And, the car wasn't a worn out piece of junk. It had every option GM offered including heads up display, bose sound system, heated 6-way seats, sun roof and more. The car is mint. When I purchased in 2005, it had 10300 miles on it. I'd be glad to supply photos as the body wasn't hurt. The GM rep asked me if I had fire and theft on the vehicle and I told him no. In his sarcastic voice, he commented, "well, I guess you should have. I also hired a lawyer, but GM wouldn't budge. Can you help me? this is so wrong.

- Mt Washington, KY, USA

Jan 092014

Grand Prix

On Jan 9, 2014, I was parked in my car having lunch with the motor running. For no apparent reason, the engine caught fire, causing the fuel lines to burst. The car was not drivable after that. That evening, when I got home, I had a recall from GM for my vehicle in the mail. (code 07035) I called GM the following day, told them of the incident and they became my best friends, especially when I told them no one was injured. GM made an appointment and had me tow (at my expense) my car to sam swope auto center where it was evaluated. At no time did sam swope say the fire wasn't caused by the recall issue. The bill to repair was going to be $4,700. Sam swope said they could not fix without authorization from GM. After 2 weeks of getting the runaround and being asked questions like, "how many Pontiac have you owned" and "how loyal of a customer are you", they decided the car was too old and had too many miles to repair and stated that GM's liability ends 4 yrs after purchase, but did offer to fix the recall. I asked why if they didn't assume any liability after 4 yrs, why send a recall. The rep stated that they are computer generated. I explained that I didn't want to sue anyone, I just wanted my car either fixed or totaled out so I could purchase something else. By the way, I've owned 7 Pontiac, and 12 GM cars total. I'm 62 yrs old. And, the car wasn't a worn out piece of junk. It had every option GM offered including heads up display, bose sound system, heated 6-way seats, sun roof and more. The car is mint. When I purchased in 2005, it had 10300 miles on it. I'd be glad to supply photos as the body wasn't hurt. The GM rep asked me if I had fire and theft on the vehicle and I told him no. In his sarcastic voice, he commented, "well, I guess you should have. I also hired a lawyer, but GM wouldn't budge. Can you help me? this is so wrong.

- Mt Washington, KY, USA

Apr 222014

Grand Prix 6-cyl

Vehicle parked over 48 hrs. After last driven passerby honked to let us know car was on fire. Unlocked car and opened hood. Flames present at ABS module and surrounding area. Wiring harness and plastics from there across firewall to main fuse box and electrics and plastics on top of engine melting. Extinguisher used to put out fire and disconnected battery cable. Removed powder with water hose and surveyed damaged it appears to have started at or very near the ABS module/relay box area and spread to fire wall and around towards the battery area from there. This is the gtp edition of the Grand Prix.

- Miami, OK, USA

Apr 072014

Grand Prix 6-cyl

This is not the first incident, this is just the most recent. On Monday, 4/7, I was driving on the freeway going home from work in the middle of storm around 5 pm and the shut off. Its as if the key was only turned enough to turn on the battery. This has happened on numerous occasions going as far back as 2012 when I purchased the car. It happens more frequently if I don't remove my car key from the rest of my keys. My power steering locks and the car is unable to turn.

- Parma, OH, USA

Sep 152009

Grand Prix 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated while driving various speeds the vehicle's dashboard lights intermittently turned off and on followed by a clicking sound coming from the dashboard. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated the ignition switch would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was alerted of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Spring Lake, NJ, USA

Mar 102012

Grand Prix

The vehicle is running and the auto lights turn on at nite, with the fan speed on off position, the lights shutoff when turning on fan. Then there is no fan or lights on when to attempt to turn on 1-5 position. Manual lights will work but no fan. Have found out recently it only works on 5. I have installed a new resistor but no luck. Has occurred many times and as well has no vent control.

- West Unity, OH, USA

Mar 092012

Grand Prix 6-cyl

My father helped me purchase a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix just over a month ago. Originally I noticed a hesitation that would happen twice just for fractions of a second. After the second time this happened I noticed that my tac would drop to 0 then the "trac off" light would come on. On March 9th I was driving through an intersection when the car started hesitation. I was surprised when the car did not pick back up, I am not sure if the engine had completely stopped but my power steering was gone and pushing the gas pedal did nothing. I had to milk the car up to a spot where I had to force the car to turn. I turned the ignition off for maybe a minute then started it back up. My 3 year old was in the back seat crying that she had to potty so I turned around in hopes that the car would make it up to a gas station. When I pulled out the "trac off' light came on and the tac dropped but the car ran fine. I have drove the car another 60miles since and have not even the trac and tac issues since right after the incident. I bought this car because I was scared to have my daughter riding in my old one but now I am more worried about this car. I have spent a lot of time and have found hundreds upon hundreds of post about people having this same issue.

- Cuba, MO, USA

Dec 012011

Grand Prix 6-cyl

Driving to work December 1, 2011, I noticed a burning smell and then a fire through the dash. I immediately pulled over and removed dash panel and threw snow into dash trying to put out the fire. Within a number of minutes the engine fire was out of control and the car was completely engulfed in flames. This resulted in a complete loss of the vehicle. It is believed the underhood fire was a result of the issue of GM safety recall #09047. The safety recall work was performed by a dealership on May 18,2009. I do not believe this "fix" has prevented the underhood fires on many of these recalled vehicles.

- Avilla, IN, USA

Oct 302011

Grand Prix

I was driving my car in a Suburban area at approx 20 mph when I noticed smoke coming out from under the hood. I immediately turned onto a side street and within 15 seconds of noticing the smoke there were flames shooting out from under my hood and the drivers side wheel well. I threw the car into park and got out. A passerby was already calling 911 and within less than a minute of my exiting the vehicle the entire front end was on fire. The fire department arrived and put out the fire and stated that there was so much damage to the front end of the car that they were unable to give a definite cause, but suspected electrical. The entire car is totaled, the fire was so hot it melted the driver window and the windshield and destroyed it within minutes. No electrical issues were noticed immediately prior to this incident, only change noted was that the passenger window rolled up a bit more slowly than normal.

- Manhattan, KS, USA