NHTSA — Engine Problems

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix (Page 3 of 3)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jan 092014

Grand Prix

Second request...on Jan 9, 2014, I was parked in my car having lunch with the motor running. For no apparent reason, the engine caught fire, causing the fuel lines to burst. The car was not drivable after that. That evening, when I got home, I had a recall from GM for my vehicle in the mail. (code 07035) I called GM the following day, told them of the incident and they became my best friends, especially when I told them no one was injured. GM made an appointment and had me tow (at my expense) my car to sam swope auto center where it was evaluated. At no time did sam swope say the fire wasn't caused by the recall issue. The bill to repair was going to be $4,700. Sam swope said they could not fix without authorization from GM. After 2 weeks of getting the runaround and being asked questions like, "how many Pontiac have you owned" and "how loyal of a customer are you", they decided the car was too old and had too many miles to repair and stated that GM's liability ends 4 yrs after purchase, but did offer to fix the recall. I asked why if they didn't assume any liability after 4 yrs, why send a recall. The rep stated that they are computer generated. I explained that I didn't want to sue anyone, I just wanted my car either fixed or totaled out so I could purchase something else. By the way, I've owned 7 Pontiac, and 12 GM cars total. I'm 62 yrs old. And, the car wasn't a worn out piece of junk. It had every option GM offered including heads up display, bose sound system, heated 6-way seats, sun roof and more. The car is mint. When I purchased in 2005, it had 10300 miles on it. I'd be glad to supply photos as the body wasn't hurt. The GM rep asked me if I had fire and theft on the vehicle and I told him no. In his sarcastic voice, he commented, "well, I guess you should have. I also hired a lawyer, but GM wouldn't budge. Can you help me? this is so wrong.

- Mt Washington, KY, USA

Apr 222014

Grand Prix 6-cyl

Vehicle parked over 48 hrs. After last driven passerby honked to let us know car was on fire. Unlocked car and opened hood. Flames present at ABS module and surrounding area. Wiring harness and plastics from there across firewall to main fuse box and electrics and plastics on top of engine melting. Extinguisher used to put out fire and disconnected battery cable. Removed powder with water hose and surveyed damaged it appears to have started at or very near the ABS module/relay box area and spread to fire wall and around towards the battery area from there. This is the gtp edition of the Grand Prix.

- Miami, OK, USA

Apr 072014

Grand Prix 6-cyl

This is not the first incident, this is just the most recent. On Monday, 4/7, I was driving on the freeway going home from work in the middle of storm around 5 pm and the shut off. Its as if the key was only turned enough to turn on the battery. This has happened on numerous occasions going as far back as 2012 when I purchased the car. It happens more frequently if I don't remove my car key from the rest of my keys. My power steering locks and the car is unable to turn.

- Parma, OH, USA

Mar 272014

Grand Prix

My daughter arrived home: Ten minutes later someone was banging on our door letting us know the car was on fire. The fire department arrived and extenguished the flames. It is a total loss and we had liability. We bought the car on February 13, 2014 from an individual. We did not know, but are now aware that there is a recall on this particular make and model for under the hood fire. We had no warning and had not detected any malfunction in the vehicle until this. We are out $3,000.. will GM reinburse our expenses because of the recall?

- Milan, TN, USA

Oct 302013

Grand Prix 6-cyl

My 2001 Grand Prix supercharge has blinking security light, check engine light, error code PO102 and it keeps dying after I drive it for a little bit. I changed maf and it still dies.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Feb 222013

Grand Prix

After having the transmission replaced 2 times by dealership, we had to replace it at 99,000 miles again out of our pockets. The intake manifold exploded in my husbands face in 2012! we also had that fixed for $480 out of our pockets. Then on February 22,2013 after parking the vehicle, the engine caught fire within minutes and completely engulfed the car!( we had taken it in for the engine compartment fire recall at our Pontiac dealership previously to be fixed.) fire was so severe it went under the car and down the street. We have 4 children and this has been not only a constant inconvenience for us, but a danger to my family! it is time that this be taken seriously.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Dec 262012

Grand Prix

Drove two miles to my parents house shut the car off was in the house 5 min. Went back outside and car was on fire.

- Farmersburg , IA, USA

Sep 252012

Grand Prix 6-cyl

My son was driving our car and parked the car to go for a hike with friends. About 15 minutes into the hike he received a call from sheriff department telling him that his dad's car was on fire at the park. When my son arrived back at the car the fire department and sheriff were at the vehicle putting the fire out. The whole car was destroyed, front tires melted off, everything under hood was melted and destroyed, the whole inside was fried or melted. We lost gps, garage door opener, his school books, his stereo and cd's and some miscellaneous items. Car was hauled to a salvage yard and did not have full coverage on car so lost everything. Feel GM is responsible for the loss that occurred. Thanks goodness his friends and himself were not in the vehicle at the time.

- Zimmerman, MN, USA

Jun 182012

Grand Prix 6-cyl

After driving the vehicle for less than 30 minutes I parked and shut off the vehicle. Within 5 minutes my engine was on fire. The fire department came and put the fire out but the engine compartment and everything in it is a complete loss.

- Brainerd, MN, USA

May 102012

Grand Prix 6-cyl

I had driven my car a short distance and came back home, within 30 minutes it was in flames. The neighbors were outside when it happened and called the fire dept. It burned up the whole front end, state farm isn't coming to investigate because I don't have enough coverage. GM/Pontiac doesn't seem to be too interested, but I am very upset. They made this car, they should have to answer for this. Cars don't just burst into flames for no reason.

- Newburgh, IN, USA