Key Stuck In The Ignition

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix (Page 2 of 3)

7.2

2. release under steering column up a channel. (10 reports)
  3. put it in park until i hear the ignition unlock (4 reports)
  4. depressed button (3 reports)
  5. replace switch behind ignition (3 reports)
  6. automatic shifter pushed up to far (2 reports)
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 032009

Grand Prix GT

I just purchased this car and within one week I am ready to scream. I am so upset at this problem and it is more than annoying. You are late for work, doctors appointments and I do not feel the need to beat up on the stick shift trying to get the key out by shifting gears. I also do not understand for insurance purposes why PONTIAC has not admitted they have a huge safety issue and have a recall. I am not finished letting people know of this issue plus with Facebook now in everyone's homes, I will get the word out that GM is not standing behind their customers. I also do NOT think any consumer should be on the internet looking for a quick fix to this malfunction !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GM, think about it, If I have to take one of my children to emergency and cannot get my vehicle safely parked, and there is an accident of any form because of it, there will be a lawsuit.

- , Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Jan 312009

Grand Prix GTP 3.6L

Same problem with key not releasing. Dealer tried to fix and indicated there were a couple of broken wires. Reoccurred almost immediately. Carry small, rigid plastic wire that I push into the hole in steering column. Key always releases. Will try again to have fixed at dealer, preferably at no cost. Agree there should be a recall.

- , Edmonton, AB, Canada

Jun 052009

Grand Prix SE 3.1L V6

Given what I have seen on this board, now I believe this is a very common problem and I agree that Pontiac has to take the responsibility to recall the car.

This problem has been occurring MOST OF times for about a year. Every time I have to be in the car to play with steer, wheel to get the key out. And every time I have to tell different people why I have to stay in the car and let them wait outside. And of course I will complain about Pontiac cars quality problems to them. Pontiac can forget about spending tons of dollars on TV advertising because owners like me are surely telling a different stories about the car.

- , Maple Shade, NJ, Belize

Oct 012008

Grand Prix SE 3.1L V6

It is time for a recall. This is ridiculous. The day my key got caught in the ignition, I was returning from my lunch break. I could not get the key out. I had to leave my key in the ignition. I didn't know what to do. I was at a urban hospital on Colfax in Aurora, CO (meaning, you don't leave your key in the car in this area). I went inside and desperately searched the internet for a solution. If it weren't for the fact that this was happening to SO MANY of us, I wouldn't have known how to get the key out.

They need to recall this part. They need to look at the web, and the numerous sites and postings regarding this problem. I dare anyone to identify another car with such a problem, especially one that's occurring to so many of us.

- , Aurora, CO, USA

Sep 152008

Grand Prix SE

We have had this problem with the key getting stuck for about 6 months. It started when I got to work and the key would turn back but not all the way for me to get the key to come out. I messed with it for a while then it finally came out but when I got home from work it would not come out at all and my husband found online about the release plug under the steering wheel. We now keep a tire gauge in our car to use to put in the release hole to get the key to turn all the way back to get it out. It is a big nuisance and I was wondering if there was a recall out there that I may have missed. I am glad I found this site because I was starting to think it wasn't very common but it looks more common than I thought.

Update from Jul 15, 2009: Is there a recall on this annoying problem yet seems more and more people are having this problem

- , Aurora, IN, USA

Mar 012006

Grand Prix SE 3.1L

i see others have had the same problem ill have to try the fix they suggested. but my key it so worn down it just pulls right out.

- , Colunmbus, GA, USA

Dec 232008

Grand Prix SE 3.1L

key ignition will not come all the back when put in park, there for can not take key out.

seems like a common problem with this car . but I have a quick fix.

lift steering will all the way up and you will see a little round cap underneath ignition. Prey the cap out with screw driver. In the hole you will see a button this button needs to be pushed, this will allow the key to come all the way back. What I did was stick a depress foam ear plug up the hole, ear plug expands pushes button .This worked great!

put cap back on and all set. better then spending 300-400 dollars to get it replaced.

- , mukwonago, WI, USA

Jan 132009

Grand Prix GT 3.6L

Hey, I found an easy fix. Remove the steering wheel. Locate the release button and simply take a plastic cable tie and while pushing the button in secure the cable tie around the part to hold the button in. The key will always release, with the key out the steering column locks it acts completely normal. I did this several months ago and so far I have not had any further problems. Do not disconnect any wiring as this makes the system think the part is disconnected and then the steering wheel might not lock. Pontiac told me it could be that part or another one and it was trial and error. I did not want to spend several hundreds of dollars on parts so I tried this and it works.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 032008

Grand Prix GT 3.8L

As you all know this is one of the most annoying issues with a car I have ever had...however I found away to at least get your key out. I have been getting my key out this way since July of 2008 and in this time have met 4 other people with the same issue and this also worked on their grand prix...On the bottom of the steering column there is a round little cover that will pop off, once you pop that off you can stick a flat head screw driver up inside that hole and there is a button up there. Press that button up with the screw driver and this will release your key!! I promise! I have been doing this for months now and needless to say I carry a screwdriver in the car all the time!!! I hope this works for others!!!

- , Eagle Lake, MN, USA

Apr 162008

Grand Prix GT 3.8L

The way the world is today and as many people have complaint they would do a recall on this .

- , Glouster, OH, USA

Jan 012009

Grand Prix

The key wont come out of the ignition it's annoying but I use a pen in the hole below the ignition and it comes out.

- , Plymouth, MN, USA

Dec 192008

Grand Prix SE 3.1L V6

Whenever I want to get the key out, it won't come, it gets locked in the ignition, and I have to sit and fiddle with the gears till I hear the ignition unlock, It has taken as long as 20 minutes on occasion.

- , Lampe, MO, USA

Jan 072009

Grand Prix GT 3.6L

I understand this is a huge problem with Pontiac, especially Grand Prix 2002. Is there any recall? What can we do to get a recall started? I've owned a dozen or more cars and most much older and higher mileage but Dodge, Ford, and Chevy never a problem like this one.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Jan 082009

Grand Prix SE 3.1L

Key wouldn't come out. Depressed key lock solenoid button to get out. Put key in ignition, goes in but does not turn. What the hell.

- , Fergus Falls, MN, USA

Nov 172008

Grand Prix SE 3.1L V6

The key stuck in the ignition, can't be taken to OFF. It is really annoying and dangerous too.

It seems a general issue for Pontiac car owners.

Hope someone in Pontiac can give a responsible solution to this.

- , Maple Shade, NJ, USA

Aug 012007

Grand Prix GT 3.2L V6

i have been having this problem with my grand prix for about a year. when i shut the car off the key sticks in the ignition. initially i thought it was a locked steering wheel, but no that is not it. it seems like the car does no sensor when it has been placed in park. if i let the car sit for a minute or two the key will usually release on it's own.... but i let my little brother drive it and he just left the car stuck with the ignition over night. now the battery is dead. so if you key gets stuck, don't leave it for a long period of time, because the car is still on and the battery will die!!!

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Jul 012008

Grand Prix GTP 3.8L V6

This is just one of many disappointments I've had with this car. Although I've found a work around for getting the key out, I'm reluctant to have it fixed because it seems there could be multiple causes. I put in a new battery only because it started a little slow one day and I figured I got 6 and 1/2 years out of the 7 year battery. That seemed to have fixed it for awhile, but gets stuck everytime now. I just removed the cover like everyone else and pop the solenoid..

- , Johnstown, OH, USA

Mar 052008

Grand Prix

Ok, so, I see that this is a common issue with this car... It's truly annoying. I have learned to move the gear shift around a little and you will hear a click in the ignition. Then you can pull your key right out. It's VERY aggravating, but it's better than paying the big bucks to get it fixed, until you have to...

- , Greenwood, SC, USA

Jul 142008

Grand Prix 3.1L

I LOVE MY GRAND PRIX BUT THERE ARE PROBLEMS WITH IT MY CAR IS ONLY 6 YEARS OLD MY KEY KEEPS GETTING STUCK IN THE IGNITION BUT THE PROBLEM JUST STARTING AND IT'S REALLY HOT IN NEW ORLEANS ME TRYING TO GET AN KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION IS A PAIN IN MY ASS I'M STARTING TO HATE THIS CAR I JUST GOT MY WINDOW FIXED ON IT I NEEDED A MOTOR AND A REGULATOR WHY CAN'T PONTIAC MAKE THEY CAR'S MORE BETTER THEN WHAT THEY ARE DON'T GET ME WRONG THEY BODY STYLES ARE NICE BUT THEY PARTS EXCUSE MY LANGUAGE ARE SH*TTY.

- , New Orleans, LA, USA

Aug 082007

Grand Prix

The key keeps getting stuck in the ignition. A huge pain in the rear when you're trying to run a quick errand, but can't get the key out of the flippin ignition. A few times I just had to leave the keys in the car, hoping it wouldn't disappear while I was in a store. It is such a random problem. We took in to our friends shop to have it repaired. It was going to cost approximately $300.00. We opted for a different solution. He removed a small round cap under the steering column, right below the ignition. Stick a screw driver up into the hole and move it towards the dash until you feel the switch pop. This will release the ignition. I'm beginning to hate this car! Transmission is slipping, CD player is broke, and my rear passenger window is stuck DOWN! This car is only 6 years old.

- , St. Louis, MO, USA