Key Stuck In Ignition

6.6

2. secure loose pin (1 reports)
  3. the problem is in the floor shifter.i replaced it with used (1 reports)
  4. under the steering column pop out the small plastic disk (1 reports)
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments

Apr 082015

Grand Prix GT 3.8L

Ignition key won't come out of ignition when car is in park and engine is off. I had the same problem with a 1999 Grand Prix SE I previously owned. This is also a common problem with Chevy Cobalt's.

Through research I have done on the web, the problem may be a pin coming loose in the shifter assembly that activates the micro switch that sends a signal to the ignition that the car is in park. The pin, about 3 to 4 inches long, has two uses; 1) to prevent the shifter from moving out of park without the brake pedal being pressed, and 2) to allow the key to be turned off fully.

To remedy the problem yourself, you have to take apart the center console to get to the shifter assembly.The pin should be laying along the side of the assembly. Remove the nuts that hold the shifter assembly in place and locate where the pin came from. The pin can be reinserted about midway on the assembly just below the micro switch which is located on the right side of the assembly. The pin can be kept in place by applying some "Lock Tight" on the grooved portion of the pin. This will stop the pin from rattling loose again. You can buy Lock Tight at nearly every hardware store. Put the shift assembly back together, as well as the center console. Problem solved.

If you are not comfortable with the idea of doing this yourself, take your car and cash to a mechanic you trust.

- , Clarkston, MI, USA

Nov 242014

Grand Prix GT

Key stuck in my ignition, '03 Pontiac Grand Prix. Mechanic took solenoid out of steering column to release key. Yea...have my key back!!

2 weeks ago my heated seat suddenly was UNBEARABLY hot after leaving work. Hit switch to low...DEFINITELY GOT HOTTER!! I could not get the seat to cool off...shut engine off for 1.5 hours, came out to run to store, seat STILL hot?!?! The next morning my battery was COMPLETELY dead (just had tested 1 week prior)...not even turning over. The heating element had continued to pull power even with the key out of the ignition. Read the 2 sentences in owner's manual on the heated seat, I believe by taking the solenoid out to get my key back, the car's system wasn't registering the ignition was in "LOCK" so was allowing accessories to pull power. I thought my leather seat was going to catch on fire. Still trying to find a reasonable price to fix this.

- , Coralville, IA, USA

Nov 012012

Grand Prix SE 3.1L

I have found the the problem does not respond to slamming the shifter into park, wiggling the keys, pumping the break, reversing, or trying to park uphill. Doing this will sometimes result in it to release the key but it is not reliable. I hear there is an override that is a quick fix. If you google it, you can find solutions.

- , Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Jul 022010

Grand Prix SE

So I have had a problem getting my key out of the ignition for a few months now; realized that there needs to be a clicking noise when i shift to park before my key will be released. The problem was not so noticeable but lately it almost never fails; i have to spend at least a minute beating on the shift stick; turning the car on and back off, switching from park to drive etc.. to finally hear the click and get my key out. Given the amount of complaints i am sure Pontiac already knows about it; but just as for other problems such as the electric window motor which has apparently given up on many grand prix's including mine on 2 windows, a couple of friends and several others i see with the window patched with duck tape! Pontiac has proven low customer response and have been losing popularity with unhappy customers who have put Pontiac where it belongs and it will not be long before they shut down if not already!

- , Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Nov 222010

Grand Prix GT 3.8L

I found out that this is a common problem with the Pontiac Grand Prix model. The problem is in the floor shifter. When you put the car in park, it's not telling the ignition that the car is in park and will not allow you to remove it from the ignition. There is a small access hole on the bottom of the steering column that you can stick something small like an ink pen to use. Push upward and it will allow you to turn the key off and remove it from the ignition. I found a used part from Morad Parts in Cleveland, Ohio through ebay. It cost about $35.00 for the part and $11.00 shipping and took 2 days shipping. The part from the dealer at my discount is about $200.00. This is my car and not one of my customers. I also was talking to a friend of mine about a month ago with the same problem and told him how to fix it.

Craig Maples

Maples Auto Collision

Flint, MI

maplescollision.com

- , Flint, MI, USA

Dec 012009

Grand Prix GTP 3.8L V6

I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. Frequently, but not all of the time when I turn the car off, the key will not return to the original position that allows me to take the key out. It will rotate enough to turn the car off, but not all the way to the original off position.Recently the key will now sometimes come out in the location where it gets stuck, but when you open the door, a warning beep sound goes off. I assume this is not a good idea to leave your car in this manner.

So how can I resolve this issue so that the key will return to the original off position every time I shut the car off? I have heard that some issues similar to this have cost a lot of money for a dealer to fix and I also heard that a locksmith repaired a similar issue relatively inexpensive. Is there a cheap and easy solution that you could please explain to me so I can try to repair this problem myself? I appreciate any and all information that you can provide to help me with this problem.

- , Burlington, VT, USA

Feb 182009

Grand Prix SE 3.1L V6

Could not remove key after turning off engine.

Remove small plastic disk under steering column then insert small screwdriver or the wooden end of a small hobby paintbrush gently push up on the plunger and remove key at the same time.

Worked for me...but still a pain.

- , St Louis, MO, USA