NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix (Page 4 of 4)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Feb 022005

Grand Prix 6-cyl

My 2004 Grand Prix GT has had an acceleration hesitation or stall (engine shuts down) since purchase (August /04). Two different sensors have been replaced, but it has failed again. Recently when leaving work; engine relatively cold, had to accelerate to enter highway traffic and engine stalled and died. Dealerships have been unable to duplicate since it is extremely intermittent.

- Garden City, GA, USA

Nov 022004

Grand Prix 6-cyl

While driving at 45 mph in rush hour traffic the car completely shut down with no warning and would not re-start. I had no brakes, power steering and had to cut across two lanes of traffic to get off roadway. Car was towed to dealership and remained therefor seven days. The accerater cable was replaced. One day after getting the car back the same occurance happened again. While driving between 45 and 50 mph the car completely shut down on a highway at night nearly causing a serious accident. The car was returned to dealership and kept for another seven days and the computer module was replaced. After having the car back for two days, the car completely shut down for a third time. This time I was at a stop light and not moving. There was no warning the car just stopped and when tried to re-start, every system went black. The car was again towed to dealership and the fuse relay was replaced. The original shut-down happed with less than 7000 miles on the vehicle. The dealership stated this problem had not occurred before on this make and model of car and there was a "case study" being set up on my car. On reading other complaints on this car, I see there have been other similar shut downs on the same make and model car. I have had the car back for 20 days and so far no further complete shut downs have occurred but I have no confidence in the car and drive it only when absoutely necessary and definitely not on expressways or major highways. When I picked up the car the third time and asked it they thought it was fixed, the only answer I received is "we're doing what GM engineering told us to do.

- Bartlett, TN, USA

Dec 102004

Grand Prix 6-cyl

When I first purchased the car it wouldn't start. The dealership had to jump the car. I made it 11 mile and had to have the car towed back to the dealership and they had to replace the battery. (which is supposed to last the lifetime of the car. That is what they said) since then I have had to have the car jumped many times. 3 times in the past 2 weeks. I have had the car for just a little over a year now.

- No. St. Paul, MN, USA

Dec 102004

- No. St. Paul, MN, USA

Jan 302004

Grand Prix 6-cyl

The car accelerates without the operator depressing the accelerator pedal. Here were two near miss crashes when the car was being driven in town and accelerated by itself. One incident was when my preganant wife nearly struck a train. The actual date of the incident below is not correct, I do not have that information with me. I do know that the first time was in January of 2004.

- Humeston, IA, USA

Jul 162004

Grand Prix 6-cyl

While driving down road, smoke started to come out from center of dash, pulled vehicle over and turned off ignition, exited drivers side and proceeded to passenger front to inspect under dash, when got to passenger side (10 seconds from driver side) could see fire under dash and plastic dripping from under dash, got away from vehicle, and within approximately 2 minutes entire interior of vehicle was engulfed by flames. I was driving at night with headlights on/ no fog/S, and only had fan blowing outside air in, no other electrical accessories running, such as radio, interior lights). Vehicle is complete loss, and fireman says this was worst car fire he had ever seen for short amount of time vehicle was on fire. So far insurance company is investigating, but indications show electrical fire possibly from ignition switch, which happens to be in dash by heater controls. No injuries occurred w/ vehicle fire, very happy that seat belt did not fail/stick. Only had vehicle for 5 months, bought new at Pontiac dealer, 5600 miles. Vehicle was 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2 w/ optional leather seats.

- Brookpark, OH, USA

Mar 012004

Grand Prix 6-cyl

The day of the week does not match the date. I have tried several times to reset the date, and it still displays the wrong day of the week. Contacted the dealer and they stated they could reset the system but it is a known problem with no long term fix yet.

- Camby, IN, USA

Jan 012004

Grand Prix 6-cyl

H.U.D. displays a very blurry image/double image, and also dims to almost not visable while driving. H.U.D dimmer knob is set to full bright, and it still dims.

- Hickory Hills, IL, USA