NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix (Page 1 of 4)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 122016

Grand Prix

I purchased my vehicle, shortly after I brought it in to midas to have it looked at, after I was told extremely bad news that my vehicle had some major problems and it was going to cost a lot of money to fix it but luckily it's under a safety recall for my model make and year, although when I took it in to merit Chevrolet I discussed my concerns with them about my vehicle and how a lot of the things discovered wrong with it, had to do with multiple of the recalls. The conversation got nowhere and they told me that since my VIN number wasn't on the recall that it was impossible for the problems discovered to be related to the recalls I was told were related and that there was nothing I can do, unless I wanted to call GM customer service. At this point I'm very frusterated and have already spent so much money on this vehicle and now I'm being told that although each problem I'm having is specified for my year make and model I'm unable to be helped. So also saying that later when this kills me, it will remain not important. I have the NHTSA #'s of every problem I am experiencing... 15V7010000, 05V046000, 04V299000, 04V287000, 03V331000 and if someone could take me and the issues that my car is having seriously I'd love to bring it in. Merit Chevrolet might have switched the valve cover, but they did nothing to resolve the issue of engine oil leaking in my manifold. I arrived there and left there with the same problem and safety hazard. My engine is still at risk of igniting fire and you'd think if someone is going to fix a problem, they would fix the problems that have resulted from that problem because my life is still at risk. (also I was unable to select more than 3 affected parts, and the one more affected is the steering)

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Jul 062016

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. When the ignition key was turned to the start position, the key failed to return to the run position. The contact stated that the failure occurred after the vehicle was serviced per NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 185,000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Mar 162016

Grand Prix

On March 16th 2016 while on the way to a doctors appt. We tried to used the right rear seat belt, however we could not get the seat belt to pull out so we could use it. On the way to the drs. Office we smelled a strong odor of oil and antifreeze in the car. When we got to drs. Office we noticed smoke coming from under the hood. So we let the car sit there until after the appt. When we got back to car we checked under the hood and could not find any oil of water leak, so my wife was driving me back home when the car completely cut off and stopped running, she had no control of the car at all. So I helped he turn the car off to road to the shoulder until it stopped. After looking I noticed the key was in the off position, I tried to start the car and it started right up I drove the car on home, and that's where it sits now!!! please help!!! toby keith ridenhour & kathryn ridenhour 603 dorn rd, troy, S.C. 29848

- Troy, SC, USA

Mar 142005

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that the original keys to the vehicle became inoperable while trying to open the doors and trunk of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the cause of the failure was not determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also stated that the engine stalled and the steering wheel became inoperable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Feb 152016

Grand Prix

Cpsc:I1620250A. 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. Consumer stated the engine of the car caught on fire while sitting in the driveway of her home.

- Iuka, MS, USA

Dec 282015

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The vehicle leaked oil from the front end of the vehicle and there was an abnormal odor. The check engine warning light illuminated. The contact stated that the vehicle sputtered when driving uphill. The contact took the vehicle to a certified mechanic who diagnosed that there was an electrical short with the vehicle; however, the failure was not specified. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 158,853.

- Salinis, CA, USA

Dec 302015

Grand Prix

Driving on interstate at 70 mph when suddenly heard a click as if key had been turned on ignition switch. Car immediately lost all power, radio, power steering and ABS. Was able to guide car to shoulder, avoiding a serious accident. This is 2nd occurrence at highway speed of this problem. Keys received recall retrofit but this appears to be related to initial problems described in original recall.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Dec 212015

Grand Prix

Car had key retrofit by dealer but ignition switch is turning off while car is in drive at full power. It is if the key is being turned off. All power to vehicle is lost. Obviously the key retrofit did not solve the problem. I believe the ignition switch itself is the issue.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Feb 122013

Grand Prix

The contact owned a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph downhill, the vehicle stalled and the contact lost all control of the vehicle. The vehicle continued downhill into an intersection, jumped a curb, and crashed into the bushes. The contact sustained neck, leg, and shoulder injuries that required medical attention. The passenger, who was pregnant, was released from the seat belt and thrown from the vehicle. The passenger sustained abdominal injuries that required medical attention and resulted in premature birth. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Oct 052015

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that the key was stuck within the ignition switch. The vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system) but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Prichard, AL, USA

Oct 092015

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving approximately 75 mph, there was an abnormal noise and the steering wheel seized. In addition, the brake pedal was depressed but was stiff and failed to respond. As a result, the vehicle flipped twice and landed into a ditch. When the contact exited the vehicle, it was discovered that the engine was off. The vehicle failed to restart. The air bags did not deploy. The contact stated that the driver sustained a hand injury that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The vine was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V4000000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Plains, TX, USA

Oct 082015

Grand Prix

I was driving down the street and turned left my car slowed down like it wanted to stop then the ac was turned off automatically and my car started running hot..I went to O'reilly's & they didn't kno what was wrong..they said everything looked fine under the hood and nothing was low

- Monroe, LA, USA

Jul 152015

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that when the ignition was turned to the on position, the vehicle failed to start and the auto theft system warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician stated that the vehicle was unable to be serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system) because the ignition key was incorrect. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 211,415.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Sep 052014

Grand Prix

Ignition switch very loose with key in or out. You could barely touch it and the voltage would drop causing car to try to turn off on its own. I replaced the cylinder and switch due to fear car would turn off by its self. Would like to be reimberssed $679.36 please keep me informed on recall of this problem. I have a open case on this matter

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Apr 022015

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving at approximately 20 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle did not stop. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized, the traction warning indicator illuminated, and all of the gauges on the instrument panel failed. The contact crashed the vehicle into a pole and the engine stalled. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Dixmoory, IL, USA

Mar 202013

Grand Prix 6-cyl

My mother was killed in a head on collision in a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. She was traveling South bound on a street called hewitt when her left the lane for no known reason and hit a car traveling North bound head on dying with in seconds of the accident. The police did not know why this happened. There were no skid marks from braking nor gouges nor anything that showed she tried to brake or avoid hitting this car. I had just talked to her 20min before her death. Her left leg was broke as if she had applied great pressure to the brakes and her steering wheel was in a locked position causing her right arm to break. There is no known reason why her seat belt gave away because she was known to wear her seatbelt at all times I received a recall letter a year later about this vehicle but it was to late. My mother had an excellent driving record. This has been a tremendous loss!

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Feb 152015

Grand Prix

The contact owned a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving at 60 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. As a result, the contact lost control of the vehicle, crashed into some leaves, and slid sideways down a hill. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained soreness in the back and knees that did not require medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 157,000.

- Keysville, VA, USA

Mar 062015

Grand Prix 6-cyl

While sitting at a stop light, smoke was coming seen from under the hood. Driver attempted to move vehicle to parking lot. While moving to parking lot, black smoke started coming into the passenger compartment via the air vents. Driver called 911, and fire department was able to contain the fire. The entire engine compartment was involved in the flames, and the car is a total loss. There had been no prior problems with the car.

- Zebulon, NC, USA

Sep 152014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). However, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Knoxville, IL, USA

Dec 172014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle could be restarted. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the ignition cylinder and key needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred on several occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Little Lock, AR, USA