2004 Pontiac Grand Prix electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Apr 022015

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving at approximately 20 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle did not stop. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized, the traction warning indicator illuminated, and all of the gauges on the instrument panel failed. The contact crashed the vehicle into a pole and the engine stalled. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Dixmoory, IL, USA

Mar 202013

Grand Prix

My mother was killed in a head on collision in a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. She was traveling South bound on a street called hewitt when her left the lane for no known reason and hit a car traveling North bound head on dying with in seconds of the accident. The police did not know why this happened. There were no skid marks from braking nor gouges nor anything that showed she tried to brake or avoid hitting this car. I had just talked to her 20min before her death. Her left leg was broke as if she had applied great pressure to the brakes and her steering wheel was in a locked position causing her right arm to break. There is no known reason why her seat belt gave away because she was known to wear her seatbelt at all times I received a recall letter a year later about this vehicle but it was to late. My mother had an excellent driving record. This has been a tremendous loss!

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Feb 152015

Grand Prix

The contact owned a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving at 60 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. As a result, the contact lost control of the vehicle, crashed into some leaves, and slid sideways down a hill. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained soreness in the back and knees that did not require medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 157,000.

- Keysville, VA, USA

Mar 062015

Grand Prix

While sitting at a stop light, smoke was coming seen from under the hood. Driver attempted to move vehicle to parking lot. While moving to parking lot, black smoke started coming into the passenger compartment via the air vents. Driver called 911, and fire department was able to contain the fire. The entire engine compartment was involved in the flames, and the car is a total loss. There had been no prior problems with the car.

- Zebulon, NC, USA

Sep 152014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). However, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Knoxville, IL, USA

Dec 172014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle could be restarted. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the ignition cylinder and key needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred on several occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Little Lock, AR, USA

Aug 012014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving approximately 35 mph and signaling to turn right, the high beams activated independently. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the failure was related to NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired because the part was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- East St. Louis, IL, USA

Dec 012014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start when the key was entered into the ignition. A locksmith informed the contact that a new ignition was required. The failure occurred on several occasions. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,119.

- Salem, OR, USA

Dec 192014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system), the key failed to turn in the ignition and fractured. The contact stated that prior to the recall remedy, the vehicle did not experience a failure related to the recall. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 175,338.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Nov 122014

Grand Prix

Mailing christmas packages and stopped to fill up with gas. Went inside to use restroom, came back ouit and as I approached the car, I smelled an unusual odor. Got in, started it, noticed smoke coming up on outside of window on passenger side. Since I was parked next to the gas pumps, I elected to put it in drive and pull forward away from people and gas pumps, yelled at empoyees to call fire dept. As by this time the smoke was coming through the vents into the inside of the car. By the time the firemen arrived, the front of the car was engulfed in flames (I took 3 pictures to show progression of the fire) that was so hot thst parts were melting onto the asphalt. The firemen had to use a crowbar to open the hood to get to the fire. I think that the car should have been included in the recall of the 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix as the fire happened exactly as others describe - no problems running, no indication of trouble by way of warning lights. I'm just thankful that I didn't pull it into our attached garage at home.

- Darien, IL, USA

Nov 162014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. Upon attempting to start the vehicle, the key would not turn over into the on position. The contact made multiple attempts to start the vehicle. The failure began after the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 24,000.

- Adamsville, AL, USA

Nov 142014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving 35 mph, the ignition switch moved independently from the run position without warning. As a result, the vehicle struck a curb and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained a neck injury that did not require medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 156,000.

- Bladensburg, MD, USA

Oct 012014

Grand Prix 6-cyl

2004 Pontiac GT Grand Prix. Consumer writes in regards to receiving recall notice and electrical issues. The consumer stated he experienced electrical issues, over the years. The instrument panel would go out. The A/C fan motor, and tail lights failed. The vehicle would shut off at any time. The ignition switch was eventually replaced. Also, the engine overheated.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Aug 022014

Grand Prix

I had just arrived at work to begin my shift..as I entered the building to go clock in within several minutes I noticed several employees exiting the building and gathering outside in the parking lot..in the middle of me askn an employee what was going on outside another employee notified me that my vechicle was on fire.

- Johnstown, CO, USA

Oct 152014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). However, the contact was displeased with the schedule of when the dealer would perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Oct 302007

Grand Prix 6-cyl

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall and airbags did not deploy during accident. The consumer stated she slammed on the brake, to avoid hitting some tires, that were on the highway. Her vehicle stopped moving completely and everything went dark on the inside. As a result, she was rear ended. The consumer was injured in the accident.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 272014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that after parking the vehicle, it caught on fire. The contact was able to extinguish the fire. A police/fire report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a impound lot. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 124,000.

- Green City, MO, USA

Oct 302007

Grand Prix

While exiting off of linwood to J.C. lodge southbound. There was a van that stopped at the end of the ramp. Someone had thrown tires on to the express way. After he pulled off I saw the tires and slammed on my brakes.I was unable to move my car it had cut off. There was no music or lights on in my car. 30 -40 seconds later I was rear- ended. My trunk was pushed into the backseat.while at the scene the driver who hit me became very belligerent and continuously asked ' why was I just sitting there?. I was taken by an ambulance to henry Ford hospital on w. grand blvd. The officer at the scence came to the hospital. He asked me questions about the crash. I told him "it got dark and quiet". it was my ignition switch. Both rotator cuffs were torn, disc in my back was displaced, broke my toe on my left foot, sprained my ankle, surgery recommended for both knees and rotator cuffs. I also have extreme joint pain and swelling all over my body. Had surgery on my left rotator cuff. I know walk with a cane. I cannot sit or stand for long periods of time. Months and months of physical therapy and pain medication. It killed mines and my family's life as we once knew it.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 192014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. As a result, the vehicle crashed into a wall barrier. The air bags failed to deploy. There were no injuries reported and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system), but it was not confirmed if the vehicle was included in the recall. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 122013

Grand Prix 6-cyl

Key loose in ignition causing voltage to drop while idling, which causes tracking system fault to appear on dash. Key so loose in ignition ( the slightest movement can cause car to turn off. Took to GM...and he agreed and saw how loose key were. Talked to GM complaint-case # and told them I would feel safer to go ahead and replace ignition switch and cylinder due to key not making good connection with cylinder due to loose ignition switch!!! $700 repair bill I would love to be compensated on. Had work done 09-19-2014. Please reply thank you.

- Greensboro, NC, USA