NHTSA — Engine Problems

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix (Page 1 of 4)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 032016

Grand Prix

Burnt valve should be 6 cylinder only runs on 5 cylinders as a result of the valve covered gasket. Will cost over 3 grand to fix. As quoted by mechanic. I submitted an early one complaint but the system put in 2001 it was supposed to be 2004. 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix not 2001, 2004. It shakes a lot when you try to drive it. I never got a recall notice on engine problem. I got one for the key problem never received any thing on brakes or air bags as brakes have also been a big problem with car as well as engine leaks why was I not notified.!!!! I could have had a fire.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 202016

Grand Prix

Vehicle was traveling North, went to turn West, lost control of vehicle striking a wooden bridge guardrail and embankment before returning to roadway. Damage is frontend, hood, headlights, undercarriage, right front wheel, steering components, engine. Daughter transported by ems

- Odessa, MO, USA

Jul 272016

Grand Prix

The contact owned a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While the vehicle was parked and the engine was running, the vehicle caught fire under the hood. No injuries were sustained and a fire report was not filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V201000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer was notified of the failure; however, due to the extent of the fire, an investigation could not be performed. The failure mileage was approximately 160,000. The vehicle was destroyed.

- Lillington, NC, USA

Sep 082016

Grand Prix

Takata recall. Had the car serviced due to warning lights on dash board. Noticed oil on right underside of car near the oil filter and covering everything as far back near the muffler. It had been lleaking for quite sometime. Had a burning smell when car was running warm. Sensor indicated that the ABS brakes the exhaust system & the catylitic converter needs work. Replaced temp. Sensor & fans now work on both sides.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Aug 282016

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving approximately 30 mph, smoke emerged from the engine compartment. The fire department extinguished the fire, but a report was not filed. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine). The vehicle was towed to the contact's house. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 235,000.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jul 122016

Grand Prix

I purchased my vehicle, shortly after I brought it in to midas to have it looked at, after I was told extremely bad news that my vehicle had some major problems and it was going to cost a lot of money to fix it but luckily it's under a safety recall for my model make and year, although when I took it in to merit Chevrolet I discussed my concerns with them about my vehicle and how a lot of the things discovered wrong with it, had to do with multiple of the recalls. The conversation got nowhere and they told me that since my VIN number wasn't on the recall that it was impossible for the problems discovered to be related to the recalls I was told were related and that there was nothing I can do, unless I wanted to call GM customer service. At this point I'm very frusterated and have already spent so much money on this vehicle and now I'm being told that although each problem I'm having is specified for my year make and model I'm unable to be helped. So also saying that later when this kills me, it will remain not important. I have the NHTSA #'s of every problem I am experiencing... 15V7010000, 05V046000, 04V299000, 04V287000, 03V331000 and if someone could take me and the issues that my car is having seriously I'd love to bring it in. Merit Chevrolet might have switched the valve cover, but they did nothing to resolve the issue of engine oil leaking in my manifold. I arrived there and left there with the same problem and safety hazard. My engine is still at risk of igniting fire and you'd think if someone is going to fix a problem, they would fix the problems that have resulted from that problem because my life is still at risk. (also I was unable to select more than 3 affected parts, and the one more affected is the steering)

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Mar 012016

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair.the manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Temperance, MI, USA

May 042016

Grand Prix

The contact owned a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the contact noticed smoke coming from the engine compartment of the vehicle. Upon inspection, the contact noticed fire coming from the engine compartment of the vehicle. The check engine warning light illuminated. The fire department was able to extinguish the fire. A police report was filed. No injuries were sustained. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired and was destroyed. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V201000 (engine and engine cooling) however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 128,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Tarrytown, NY, USA

Feb 292016

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V201000 (engine and cooling); however, the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 182015

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Comstock Park, MI, USA

Dec 152015

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact received a recall notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V201000 (engine and engine cooling); however, the part to do the recall repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The VIN was unknown. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Marco Island, FL, USA

Apr 072016

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. After the vehicle was turned off, a strong burning odor emitted inside the vehicle. The contact exited the vehicle and noticed smoke and flames underneath the hood. The contact extinguished the flames. The fire department arrived and confirmed the fire was contributed to the engine oil leaking onto the exhaust manifold. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling). The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 260,000.

- Lock Haven, PA, USA

Apr 022016

Grand Prix

The contact owned a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving, the oil light illuminated continuously. The contact shut off the vehicle to let it cool down. Once he changed the oil, the engine caught fire. The fire department extinguished the fire. A fire report and a police report were filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V201000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Stratford, CT, USA

Feb 092016

TL

- Germantown, MD, USA

Sep 102014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that there was a progressive leak on the exhaust manifold. The contact was unsure where the leak originated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for extensive repairs to the exhaust system to prevent a catastrophic failure. The vehicle was repaired. The contact later received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V201000 (engine and engine cooling). The dealer and manufacturer were unable to supply the part and permanent remedy to complete the recall repair. The VIN was also included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Tijeras, NM, USA

Feb 012016

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Dec 022015

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V574000 (engine and engine cooling); however, the part to do the repairs was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Northglenn, CO, USA

Mar 252016

Grand Prix

Car was parked - engine not running - in a valid parking spot along a city street. Noticed smoke and fire coming from the engine compartment. Called 911. Fire department came and put out fire. Engine compartment had been completely engulfed and was destroyed. After the fire, was told to check on the internet for safety recall about engine fires in Pontiac. Found recall #15V701000 GM recall # 15757 which was issued Oct-2015 and began 2-19-2016. I have not received anything concerning this recall to date.

- Thayer, KS, USA

Mar 172016

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling); however, the recall did not include the replacement of the rear engine valve cover. The contact was concerned about the vehicle experincing the same consequence as mentioned in the recall associated with the front gasket and valve cover. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Salem, OH, USA

Mar 162016

Grand Prix

On March 16th 2016 while on the way to a doctors appt. We tried to used the right rear seat belt, however we could not get the seat belt to pull out so we could use it. On the way to the drs. Office we smelled a strong odor of oil and antifreeze in the car. When we got to drs. Office we noticed smoke coming from under the hood. So we let the car sit there until after the appt. When we got back to car we checked under the hood and could not find any oil of water leak, so my wife was driving me back home when the car completely cut off and stopped running, she had no control of the car at all. So I helped he turn the car off to road to the shoulder until it stopped. After looking I noticed the key was in the off position, I tried to start the car and it started right up I drove the car on home, and that's where it sits now!!! please help!!! toby keith ridenhour & kathryn ridenhour 603 dorn rd, troy, S.C. 29848

- Troy, SC, USA