Engine Knocking

7.0

2. mechanic says to replace the engine (1 reports)
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments

Aug 232015

Grand Prix V6

Started with a slight knocking noise..Then later it was very loud. I pulled over to see if the belt broke, but no .. All intact.

Then when it was tremendously loud, I pulled over and then the car died.

No warning lights ... :(

- , Long Beach, CA, USA

Jan 012013

Grand Prix GTP 3.8L V6 Supercharged

Tried to have this diagnosed 3 times, no luck! it comes up as multiple misfires, with an E-vap emissions code. replaced all plugs and wires, coil packs, thermostat, no luck. its about to go bye bye. whats the use of having all this techno whiz bang crap in a car when they cant pinpoint the problem. we need to go back to carbs, manual trans, and no power junk in a car.

- , Indiana, PA, USA

Dec 122011

Grand Prix GT 3800

Car started knocking 2 days ago, took it to the mechanic and he said that the piston bearing is bad and we have to replace the engine. I was told that the 3800 engine was a very dependable motor, why would I have to replace a motor after only 7 years. The car was never raced and had regular maintenance. Mostly highway miles to work and back. Most of the time when I hear of someone having an engine replaced, or rebuilt, the car has been mistreated or it has at least 150000 miles. I was told by the mechanic the we didn't even have to replace the spark plugs until 100000 let alone the entire engine. Like I said I bought this new and only had it for 7 years and I have lived in my house for 13 years, you would think a car would last longer than my household appliances.

- , Walls, MS, USA

Apr 012010

Grand Prix

99 Grand Prix GTP - Replaced the intake gaskets had a top end exterior coolant leak and now a week later we have a rod knocking

- , Chicago, IL, USA