NHTSA — Steering Problems

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix (Page 2 of 3)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 252012

Grand Prix

I was driving at 40mph on freeway about to exit a vehicle cut me off. Slam brakes and brakes locked and made pulsations (I thought it was ABS but later found out my vehicle is not equiped with ABS) steering wheel locked to the left and hit a van on the side. 4 people injured.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 222010

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the power steering pump needed to be replaced. Approximately a year after the repair the failure recurred a second time. The power steering pump was covered under the warranty and was replaced. The failure occurred a third time. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 69,933.

- Whitman, MA, USA

Dec 202011

Grand Prix 6-cyl

Backed up car out of parking space tried to turn the steering wheel and it kept spinning around could not turn tires on car and steering wheel was loose. Had to have vehicle towed to repair shop they informed me that the intermediate shaft fell off the rack and pinion shaft. They told me that performance Buick-Pontiac-GMC of Santa Fe had not installed a previous intermediate shaft correctly, that it was not installed all the way. They also told me the air bag coil was damaged when steering was hyper-extended.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Mar 052010

Grand Prix 6-cyl

I received a recall notice regarding recall for power steering failure on my Pontiac on March 3, 2010. On March 5, the power steering went out on my vehicle. GM is now stating that my vehicle is not covered in this recall that it is 2005 and later. Mine Grand Prix is 2004.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Dec 232009

Grand Prix

TL- contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact was driving out of the parking lot at approximately 2mph and the steering wheel would not turn to the left. The weather was sunny and cold, and was not a factor in the vehicle defect. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics and testing. The dealer replaced the power steering in the vehicle. The power steering failed again days after the vehicle was repaired by the dealer. The dealer replaced the power steering again. The contact stated that the vehicle has been operating fine since December 28, 2009. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. The approximate current mileage was 62,000.

- Mcdonald, OH, USA

May 262009

Grand Prix

I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. When I turn my steering wheel, I hear a clicking noise. I am taking my car to the garage for the second time. I had the same problem over a year ago. I was told it is the torque in the bolts. The dealership is acting dumb and acting like they never heard of this problem, until I told them that they fixed it the first time. I do not want to take my car to the garage every year for this problem. I was also charged a fee for this recall. Why should I have to pay for this? now I will not have a car for atleast two days because of this. GM was no help. I will never buy another GM car.

- Mount Pleasant, PA, USA

Apr 142009

Grand Prix

My son purchased the Pontiac Grand Prix for me to safely drive to and from work; however the steering failed yesterday, with the car not being able to turn to the left; almost resulting in an accident and injury. I see from other complaints that this seems to be a common problem with this particular GM car. They should recall them or we should consider a collective class action suit since this is a serious defect that could result in a critical or fatal accident.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

May 162008

Grand Prix 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. When making a left or right turn, the steering shaft makes a clunking noise and shakes. Speed was not a factor. The dealer stated that there were no recalls and the component was not covered under the warranty; therefore, the repair would be the contact's responsibility. She was informed that the cause of the failure was the intermediate shaft. The current mileage is 80,248 and failure mileage was 80,034. Updated 6/16/08

- Massillon, OH, USA

Oct 212006

Grand Prix 6-cyl

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix gtp. 45,000 miles. As of today, I have had this vehicle in service eight times for steering-related defects, beginning two weeks from the date of new purchase in January, 2004. Three different dealers have all told me "it's a design defect...there will be a fix soon". replaced rack and pinion twice, middle steering shaft twice, and rack/pinion and engine cradle bolts spontaneously work loose every 3,000-5,000 miles. Now vehicle is out of warranty. Most recent visit to century Pontiac in tampa, they attempted to charge me $75 in order to apply yet another tsb regarding loose steering, steering wheel bind, etc. I had to call Pontiac and complain bitterly, they then waived the fee...but did not pay for the rental car. Thus far, power steering pump has failed and been replaced, A/C compressor has failed and been replaced, middle steering shaft replaced twice, entire steering column replaced twice, and there is still a persistent "jolt" through the steering wheel whenever putting car into gear, or turning steering wheel to right, going over a gutter, etc. Also, loud "clunk" resulting in severe shudder in front of vehicle. Dealer(s) state there is no fix. Have nearly lost control of vehicle three times due to steering suddenly loosening, or binding, wandering off-center, etc. Dealer says there's nothing more they can do. When is NHTSA going to listen to all the complaints regarding the steering issues on this vehicle and launch an investigation"? steering rack bolts coming loose? engine cradle bolts coming loose? steering shaft failures and fractures" every time the vehicle is taken to service, the dealers and service managers "play dumb" and try to say "I don't hear anything"...or "it drives like all the other Grand Prix's". please don't let GM and Pontiac continue to insult our collective intelligence and ignore these steering and design issues to the point where someone gets killed.

- Saint Petersburg, FM, USA

Sep 242006

Grand Prix 6-cyl

I bought my Grand Prix back at the beginning of July. About a month or so ago, I was driving through town, went to slow down, and noticed a clicking noise in the steering when I went to turn...no it wasn't the turn signal either. I can't feel any play in the steering, and I haven't had trouble turning, but the clicking noise can be felt in the floor board around where the pedals are. From what I've read, this must be a continuous problem, and GM should be held responsible for defective parts on cars. "usual wear and tear" could not be the problem if total steering failure is possible...I drove my 2001 Grand Prix this weekend...now I'm very leary about driving long distances, especially with my family in it...jet.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Sep 062006

Grand Prix 6-cyl

: the contact stated there was a lot of play in the steering wheel when turning left or right. The steering wheel shimmied causing the vehicle to be very difficult to steer at various speeds. The dealership determined there was an intermediate steering shaft problem; however would not sell the contact a new part but offered a kit to repair the vehicle. Updated 10/04/06.

- Lynn, MA, USA

Dec 122004

Grand Prix 6-cyl

Steering on Pontiac 2004 Grand Prix has popping noise. Car has been to vista ridge Pontiac in carrollton, tx 4 times and it is still not fixed. I was told it was a nuisance noise. They tightened the bolts. When I brought the car in the fourth time, the salesman who sold me the car told me that they don't build the cars and that perhaps the person that built the car "had a bad day" or was inexperienced. At the suggestion of GM customer service, I am going to take the car to another dealership for repairs. I am appalled that an employee of a dealership and a representative of General Motors would tell a customer that. Especially, after I bought three cars from them. I am hesitant to purchase or lease another GM product again.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Dec 232005

Grand Prix 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT1 and we are having a problem with a rattling noise in the front end suspension of the vehicle, we had the half shaft replaced and that helped the loose feel but the loose sounding noise from the front end persists. The car feels stable but seems to drift off track a lot needing a lot of correction on straight roads. I am taking it to the dealer again next week. The headlights on the car shake badly also, seems common.

- Barboursville, WV, USA

May 262005

Grand Prix 6-cyl

I purchased a 2004 Pontiac gran dprix GT2 in June of that same year. One week later the repairs began. The most scary occurring on the date mentioned on this complaint, May 26, 2005, eleven months after I purchased the vehicle. My car died while driving 65 mph on the highway with my three small children in the back seat. The car had no power whatsoever, no steering, no gas, no lights, nothing. I thank god we are alive. The mechanics at the dealership diagnosed the problem as a faulty ignition switch. After this incident I rented a car at my own expense for eight weeks. We did not step foot in the vehicle for that period of time. For financial reasons I slowly began driving my car again. There were repairs before that event as well as afterwards. These include the brain, transmission, brakes, axle, wheel bearings, steering, sunroof, fuel injectors, and safety belts.

- Amesbury, MA, USA

Sep 252005

Grand Prix 6-cyl

When making a left or right turn, it makes a loud clicking noise. I just bought this car and am having trouble getting the dealer to fix the problem.

- Exmore, VA, USA

Aug 302005

Grand Prix

My 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix makes a clicking noise when making a left turn. I reported the incident to my dealer about 6 months ago and was told that the problem could not be found when they test drove the car. I am still having the problem more frequently. After reading the complaints and service bulletins I see that there are several other people with the same problem and that it is a safety issue with the car. Why hasn't anything been done to correct the problem? also, last August (2004) I was driving around a slight bend which merges onto a very busy highway and my car went into a complete spin. I was unable to steer the car and spun numerous times before crashing into a hill of grass at which point the car stopped and shut down. This was apparently a "driver error."

- National Park, NJ, USA

May 302005

Grand Prix 6-cyl

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix engine shuts down while driving. Immediate failure of power steering (impossible to make a turn while driving= scary!); electric/ electronic failure also. Then, after a complete stop, and key off ignition, the car restarts like nothing happens. The car when twice to the dealership, and did not find anything. They think that we don't know how to drive a car! this is a serious matter, and very dangerous! if someone dies from this occurrence, investigation will not concluded to this problem, but more likely to the lost of control of the driver! it happens 3 times to us already, and once with a grand-prix rental. Please check it.

- Miami, FL, USA

Apr 072005

Grand Prix

Lost control of steering. Since reaching about 20000 miles on my 2004 Grand Prix, I noticed a "clicking? noise when I turned the wheel left or right. It was especially noticeable at low speed, e.g. in a parking lot. I took the car to the dealership and was told that they tightened the steering and that GM was aware and that?S what they were supposed to do and that it was safe to drive. I was not told that I should continue to bring it in. The noise diminished for several days and then returned. It has been making that noise now for several months. Yesterday, I was traveling on the highway and turned off at an exit ramp. As I slowed down to turn onto the ramp the steering locked to the right and the car spun around in circles until it finally came to a stop. It seemed as through the accelerator and the brakes were not working effectively. The car shut off. I restarted the car and drove 2 miles to the dealership where it was purchased. I was told that the shaft was replaced and the car is fine. I was also told that the shaft probably wouldn?T have caused the car to spin like that"that it was driver error.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Oct 282004

Grand Prix 6-cyl

1) after turning off a major road into a residential complex, the car first hesitated, then I lost power steering while navigating a sharp left curve; after turning the car on and off twice, was able to regain steering; service department was unable to repeat the problem nor determine cause; 2) on 2 occasions prior, I experienced severe hesitation on acceleration--severity of hesitation seemed to be directly related to rate of acceleration (hesitation most severe at hard acceleration); the hesitation continued every time I depressed the accelerator until the car was turned off; when the car was re-started, the problem was gone; these 2 occurrences happened about 45 days apart and again about 30 days later, prior to loss of power steering described in #1; service department has not been able to repeat the problem nor determine possible cause; 3) nuisance problem--recurring squeaking, at times squealing, in the steering column when turning at low speeds; on one occurrence there was also a rattling in the steering column; dealer has lubricated, re-lubricated, re-installed coil, replaced intermediate shaft.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Sep 012004

Grand Prix

When backing and turning left from being parked on level asphalt, the steering wheel repositioned itself about 20 degrees. When the incident occurred the engine pulled and the steering became momentarily stiff.

- Jackson, OH, USA