1.5

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments

Mar 152014

Grand Prix

While driving car shuts off "dic" states " starting disabled due to throttle control. Reduced engine power". I took it to mccarthy dealership in lees summit mo they supposedly fixed recall-key only but the recall#14350 states "dealers will install 2 key rings & an I insert in the key slot or a coner over the key head on all ignition keys" it ran ok for a while then started doing it again. Took it back 12/8/2016 & was told to do a diagnostic ck it would cost 130. Was told the recall was for the keys only not the ignition. My daughter drives this car too it stop running in the mistake of an intersection. Please help

- Lee's Summit, MO, USA

Nov 122014

Grand Prix

On more than one occasion, my car hesitated after stopping at an red light. Upon take off while other cars are behind me if feels like my car gears are stuck. I initially thought perhaps it was the weather or maybe my brakes. No, not the problem because my brakes have been checked and the weather is not always a culprit, I even have new tires. The problem is very scary when your grandchildren are buckle up in the back seat and your car hesitate, transmission slipping not changing gears. This has happened far to many times for my comfort and safety of myself and my family. Additionally, there also been times when the fan stop during this time. Both in the summer with the air blowing and just today (11/12/14), with the heat blowing everything stopped intermittently, what is going on with this car! the problem has only gotten increasingly worst.

- Westland, MI, USA

Nov 132013

Grand Prix 6-cyl

While driving display flashed about 4 alerts, from traction system, ABS brakes engine would shut off, and I would lose power steering. This happened around a dozen times in the span of a week. I was able to pull the car over, by using all of my strength on the steering wheel, and shut the car off, then restart it. I had to take it in to the mechanic and they had to replace the computer, and some other parts costing over $800.

- Loveland, CO, USA

Apr 112012

Grand Prix 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving 35 mph, the traction control and ABS warning indicators illuminated. The wheels ceased to move and the vehicle began skidding. The dealer replaced the speed control sensor, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000. Updated 8/11/14

- Stoughton, WI, USA

May 052014

Grand Prix

The transmission is slipping as I have seen many others with this same complaint however one dealership says they cant find issue. They drove for only 2 miles. It is a serious issue. Currently at a GM dealership to solve issue. However GM knows about this faulty issue and refuses to issue a recall after many have spent thousands to fix transmissions! I am next this is terrible. What if it completely goes while I have my family in the car" are they then going to fix" GM needs to stand behind the consumer and fix this issue.

- Glendale Heights, IL, USA

Dec 072012

Grand Prix 6-cyl

Driving on the interstate going about 65 mpg when all of a sudden I lost all engine power and the engine stalled. Check engine light came on and traction control system remained on. Pulled over and shut off the engine. Restarted the engine, lights remained on and was only able to go about 15 mph. Had to drive it very carefully about 10 miles into the next town. No shops were open at that time of night. Had to stay the night and took it into a shop the next morning. Error code said that the mass air flow sensor was bad. Replaced and drove it around for about 5 miles. Seemed to be running ok. Drove not even 60 miles and the same thing happened again. Took it into a sister repair shop and they replaced the other part of the mass air flow sensor. Was able to drive to my destination and back with no real issues. Here it is 7 months later and driving on the interstate again when the same issue happens. Check engine light came on and traction control light came on. Was able to get off the side of the road but this time. I couldn't even get it to drive 3 feet. Sat on the side of the interstate for 2 hours at night waiting for a tow truck to come get me. Got it into a shop the next morning and same issues. Needed a new mass air flow sensor. Replace and picked up but then the engine started getting really hot. Watched the transmission fluid go from 108 to 258 degrees in a matter of minutes. Pulled off the road and watched the fluid bubble out of the overflow. Got the engine to cool down a bit. Started it and drove 4 miles and the same codes came up and the engine did the same thing. Had the car towed back to the shop and was told that the computer needed to be replaced. Did that and it now surges upon start up. The super charger is not registering as being either hooked up or working now. I am being told that there are several issues that could be causing this.

- Dallas, OR, USA

Aug 132012

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that while traveling 55 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the electronic throttle control warning light. The contact stated that the dealer replaced the throttle body but the vehicle proceeded to stall. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer however, they were unable to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage and current mileages were 150,000.

- Pikeville, KY, USA