Overheated And Blew A Head Gasket

9.5

$2,099.00

2. replace head gasket (2 reports)
1999 Pontiac Montana engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Pontiac Montana:

1999 Pontiac Montana Owner Comments

Jan 172013

Montana EXT 3.4L

The factory gaskets are cheap crap!!!! They WILL fail causing overheating. The cheap gasket kits at the parts store is the same cheap crap. Buy Only the Fel-Pro Extreme duty complete headgasket kit!!!!!

I'm a mechanic so I did the repairs myself. Machine shop fees $200. Fel-Pro Extreme duty gaskets $200. They cost more but have proven success in maintaining their integrity. It took me 3 days to finish it. One day to take apart (in vehicle) take heads to shop ( 1 day ) and put together on 3rd day. It really wasn't that hard to do. If the motor needs replacement...it would be a nightmare! Must come out from underneath vehicle. So if your having overheating issues get it repaired promptly and you may be able to save the engine with a complete headgasket kit...remember..Fe-Pro Extreme duty gaskets ONLY!!!

Note: Make sure to bleed the air out of the cooling system! Good luck.

- , Griffin, !, USA

Jan 102012

Montana 3.4L

1926-2009 RIP Pontiac. Hopefully forever! By far the worst vehicle I ever owned. When the low coolant light goes on and you add 1.5 gallons of a premixed antifreeze solution, you should not see your oil dipstick level rise. Now I have 4.5 quarts of oil and 1.5 gallons of antifreeze in my crankcase. Either way this is the 3rd General Motors product that I have had this issue with. All 3 of them were 6 cylinders. Blue Book is generous with the Montana saying its worth $2,500 in decent shape. I think they added a zero as a typo. Anyway, I raked this joke to the end of the driveway, threw a rose on it, and a junk dealer offered me $50.00 to come sweep up the mess. I said SOLD!

This would all make sense if I didn't RELIGIOUSLY take care of my vehicles. Believe me I do. In this case it didn't matter. (there are other problems also)

My advise: If you have one of these American embarrassment over 75,000 miles, don't sink a dime into it. Let it run its course. It's days are clearly numbered.

Catgrower

- , Orchard Park, NY, USA

Oct 032009

Montana 3.4L

high mileage, but still another victim of the Montana head gasket syndrome.

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Jul 212006

Montana EX

during a long trip the engine showed signs of overheating. we had traveled about 1270 miles from home when this occurred, on a 4th of July weekend and had to get a hotel just to have a dealership (to where we managed to limp) and wait until the 5th to get an assessment of the problem.

- , Miami, FL, USA