2000 Pontiac Montana cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Pontiac Montana:

2000 Pontiac Montana Owner Comments

Apr 102013

Montana V6

When caught in traffic car overheated to 260 degrees.

- , Hopkinsville, KY, USA

Jan 282013

Montana 3.4L V6

We have only had this Montana for about 6mos and have spent $2200+ to fix various problems all the while each comes back to the cooling system. The last visit to the shop, the mechanic said the radiator had to get boiled out 3 times due to "stop-leak", a compound for stopping the arteries. When the van was returned, we drove it for about 2wks when we started to have more temp problems, even the heater quit getting hot. Having no more money to blow, I have had to learn how this engine and systems were designed, we bought a seal and gasket kit, and I commenced to taking the upper and lower intake manifolds off. The amount of "stop-leak" was ridiculous. I realized the horror of an engine design this was. (Is it within reasonable manners to use the names of the designer, engineers, and/or maker as words of profanity? Because I have, and still will.) I finally got everything put back together and it was running beautifully. We drove it for 2 more weeks, when this Monday, 28 Jan 2013, it overheated again. A neighbor suggested that it was caused by more "stop-leak", another even said the fuel pump might not give enough pressure causing the overheating. When I asked questions around town, even the local GM shop were clueless. Is there anyone who might know the answer? Another neighbor did notice 2 hairline fracture on the upper intake manifold and a welder took care of that. But, could that have caused the overheating?

- , Lake City, AR, USA

May 012008

Montana 4 Door Extended 3.4L 185hp

This has been a chronic problem. I've had the cooling system gone over and replaced damn near every component in it. It still overheats in stop and go traffic on hot days. I've gotten to the point where I won't drive it on hot days or even mild days in slow freeway traffic and stop & go city driving.

- , La Verne, CA, USA

Sep 222011

Montana 3.4L

I bought this vehicle used, wasn't expecting many problems with it since I never had any issues with past vehicles. So I have started having problems with the cooling system. First the low coolant light comes on and like most people I fill the radiator with coolant and it seemed to work. Then I started noticing I had no heat, once again I decide to do a coolant flush and fill and that didn't help. So I replaced the water pump and the thermostat and the info center says it's still running hot and the motor is cold as ice. The only thing I can think of now is to get rid of this piece of crap and never buy another Pontiac anything.

- , Clinton Township, MI, USA

Oct 152008

Montana Sport 3.4L

GM has a defective Set-up and its just sad that they have to be taken to court to do any thing new the antifreez is the main problem and under design gasket set up this place may give you and idea of whats going on inside of your motor

- , Dearborn, MI, USA