NHTSA — Structure: Frame And Members Problems

2001 Pontiac Montana body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Pontiac Montana:

2001 Pontiac Montana Owner Comments

Jun 162011

Montana 6-cyl

Mid May 2011...I purchased a 2001 Pontiac Montana from an older woman (70-80's). She had purchased the vehicle new and she lived near tuscon, Arizona. The vehicle was/is in great condition (no rust, etc.) for being 10 years old...and had only 44,000 miles on it. Since I bought the van...I put on maybe 1500 miles. Within the first month...I had a few being extremely dangerous. On Thursday, June 16, 2011 as I backed out of the driveway...I noticed a weird feeling with the van...almost a squishy feel. I thought I maybe had a flat tire. I checked and it looked fine. My mom picked up my 14 month old daughter later that day with my van...and as she was making a left hand turn from a stop sign...she said that it felt as though the back end of the van slid out from under her. She pulled over as she thought maybe she had a flat tire. That looked fine. Then she got out again and rechecked the lug nuts on the tires. Those were tight. Then she thought that perhaps she hit something in the road. As she turned the van around to check the intersection she just came through...the van wobbled horribly. Upon inspection...the trailing arm on the rear passenger side was broken clean in half. You could move the tire completely around so it could touch the all parts of the wheel well. We've taken it to a few mechanics...and all cannot figure why or how that happened. All of them have said, however, that this trailing arm seems to be pretty thin metal when you consider it's holding your tire on! and...the way it's almost as if there was a flaw from the manufacturer. Since then...we have had it welded. But...I haven't driven the vehicle much. I'm extremely hesitant with my now 15 month old daughter in the van. I'm so grateful this incident didn't happen on the freeway! it could have been a rollover. We are trying to discuss this with GM to see what they can do.

- Waukesha, WI, USA