NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

2002 Pontiac Montana fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Pontiac Montana:

2002 Pontiac Montana Owner Comments

May 252015

The contact owns a 2002 Pontiac Montana. The contact stated that there was an abnormal fuel odor coming from the rear of the vehicle. Upon inspection, the contact noticed that the fuel tank was fractured at the inlet. The vehicle was previously repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 07V349000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,949.

- Minot, ND, USA

Apr 222015

The contact owns a 2002 Pontiac Montana. The contact stated that the fuel gauge on the vehicle does not reflect the actual amount of fuel in the tank. In addition, the fuel warning light flashed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 151,763.

- Siloam Springs, AR, USA

Sep 082012

Montana 6-cyl

Early Saturday morning on September 8, 2012, I smelled strong gas fumes in my kitchen which is by my carport. I went outside to check and see where the overwhelming smell was coming from. Time I stepped out the door to my carport where my van is parked, I went to my 2002 Pontiac Montana minivan and began looking and sniffing around and under it. To my shock and surprise there was a puddle of gas on the ground from gas leaking out of the fuel tank where the inlet connects to the fuel tank. I began to panic and cry because I was afraid of anything that could ignite or start a fire and the exposure to the fumes that would endanger my family. I immediately called my mechanic for help and he can over to look at the problem. He informed me that the valve connection between the inlet and tank was leaking. He then went online to check on a possible part for the fuel tank and came across a recall check. We both read the information and I called Pontiac on Monday September 10,2012 and explained to them my deepest concern about the leak from my fuel tank. They contacted a dealer and he talked with a area representative, she said my special warranty expired July 27, 2012 for 10 years or 150,000 miles claiming they sent it out in January 30, 2008 in which I never received at all. At the dealer I got a estimated replacement fuel tank price at $800 including labor cost. The area representative offered at first $1500 toward a new car, then offered to pay half the cost of a fuel tank and labor. I now need advice to move forward with this matter as soon as possible.

- Atlanta, GA, USA