NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2006 Pontiac Solstice (Page 5 of 6)

2006 Pontiac Solstice seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac Solstice:

2006 Pontiac Solstice Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Feb 152014

Solstice 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Solstice. The contact stated that the air bag sensor would not properly sense when a occupant was utilizing the passenger's seat. The check air bag light was also illuminated sporadically. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, who stated that the passenger presence module would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure however, declined to offer a remedy to repair the contact's vehicle. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 30,600. Updated 05/19/14 MA..updated 06/10/14 updated 06/16/2014

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Oct 012013

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Solstice. The contact stated that the passenger's side air bag warning light remained illuminated with or without a passenger in the seat. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed however, the contact researched and concluded that the front passenger air bag sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the sensor. The failure mileage was 47,500 and the current mileage was 47,800.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Mar 142014

Solstice 4-cyl

Passenger air bag sensor failed, result is air bag for passenger is deactivated. I have searched various Pontiac Solstice forums and user groups and discovered this is a common problem. GM does not acknowledge this problem a chronic, however, numerous complaints have been listed on websites. The repair estimates are very high to replace the faulty sensor (about $750 from a GM dealer). Since this is a critical component for safety of the passenger, it should be given serious consideration for a recall. Since GM will not step up and take responsibility for this chronic problem, I petition government to look into this matter for resolution. A recall is justified and critically necessary for this air bag failure.

- Mendham, NJ, USA

Mar 142012

Solstice 4-cyl

Beginning March, 2012, my airbag service light flashed on and has continued to send a warning. Prior to the service light, the passenger side on/off indicator would periodically not recognize that someone was in the seat and had the seat belt securly on. I am very concerned that I do not believe that the passenger in my car is safe in case of accident. I am especially concerned now that I learned that the ignition switch also has a serious problem that could actually cause my car to cease running. The combination of the two very serious safety issues is of great concern to me and my family. I love this car and do not want to get rid of it. In addition, I would not feel confident that I would be selling a save car to a new owner. I have read several Solstice web sites and this seat belt problem is wide spread. Why is it not recalled"?"

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Apr 052013

Solstice 4-cyl

Airbag warning light illuminated in reference to the passenger presence sensor a persistent problem in the Pontiac Solstice and sister car the Saturn sky which causes the passenger airbag not to deploy if the vehicle is involved in an accident with a passenger present in the vehicle, this is definitely a manufacturers defect and not limited to just a few vehicles but mostly all! GM needs to stand by this product which is a major safety concern and issue a recall on this vehicle and have the passenger presence sensor replaced..

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 282013

Solstice 4-cyl

My airbag light just came on. After reviewing my options and a review of Solstice and sky on-line sights this is a problem on many of these cars. Interesting that GM has now come forth about a problem with the key that has caused deaths that thye have known about for many years. I would ask that you look into this issue as well. Clearly the airbag system has a fault. I would hope that they would deal with this before any more deaths. Thank you

- Turner, ME, USA

Nov 092013

Solstice 4-cyl

The "have airbags serviced" message is displayed, the passenger seat sensor is not responding. Apparently from many owners are experiencing the same issue, and GM offers an $800 repair with the same low quality sensor which has failed multiple times after being replaced. These should be replaced free of cost based on their poor design.

- Saint Augustine, FL, USA

Sep 252011

Solstice 4-cyl

The air bag sensor, for the passenger, in my vehicle failed. I had a passenger in the seat when the light came on. Any passenger in the car faces added risk if an accident were to occur. It is my understanding that the owner's cost to fix this item is prohibitive ($500 - $800), and that the early failure of this part is somewhat common for this vehicle.

- Tiverton , RI, USA

Oct 082012

Solstice 4-cyl

Faulty air bag system. Will not recognize passenger. The dealer repair is only a temporary fix. The system is faulty.

- San Jacinto, CA, USA

Jun 062011

Solstice 4-cyl

The passenger seat air bag sensor in my vehicle failed shortly after its 'bumper-to-bumper' warranty expired. Any passenger in the car faces added risk if an accident were to occur. It is my understanding that the owner's cost to fix this item is prohibitive ($500 - $800), and that the early failure of this part is common for this vehicle.

- Linthicum, MD, USA

Jun 122013

Solstice 4-cyl

My lightly driven 2006 Pontiac Solstice's passenger air bag light came on and stayed on at 24,300 mile mark. I searched the internet for a possible fix and or recall. During my search I noticed many customer complaints, numbering in the hundreds if not thousands. I have been a loyal customer to GM for many years they make great vehicles and I will continue to buy GM. But this air bag light bugs me every time I drive it. The fix is expensive and with so many people having the same problem I cannot help but wonder if this is a factory defect or design flaw. My last six new vehicles were General Motors and I own two now no others have had this problem, or for that matter any problems at all.

- Richlands, VA, USA

Mar 082013

Solstice 4-cyl

The vehicle's passenger side airbag light has come on and will not go off. I have taken it to the dealer and been told that the repair will cost approximately $900 to repair as the sensor has failed. After doing online research, I discovered that there were numerous other complaints about this same issue, and the common complaint is that Pontiac should have issued a recall, but did not on this particular model. Apparently, the majority of sensor failures were at approximately 30,000 miles, but there are also many that had the sensor fail well before that.

- Orleans, MA, USA

Apr 012013

Solstice 4-cyl

Service airbag is indicated on dash; passenger airbag 'off ' (even when seat is occupied)--our dealership found: "passenger presence module failed" -- estimate to repair, $768. 71. was told passenger airbag will not deploy in the event of an accident. Tried to check on recalls; found manufacturer has recalls for this problem on other models (but not on Solstice or Saturn sky)----this seems to be a common problem on these vehicles at about 30,000 miles. Also tried contacting the Pontiac customer assistance center (to no avail); after playing phone tag for several days with three different people; was told they would not help us. I have no problem with our local dealer; they are a good facility and are apparently just following their protocols. I do consider this to be a very serious safety issue, and wish to document this situation---------

- Sterling, MI, USA

May 012013

Solstice 4-cyl

While driving about 35mph the passanger air bag light started to switch from on to off. After a few minutes the service air bag light came on. After checking on line I found that this happens to most all Pontiac solistice's.

- Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Feb 082013

Solstice 4-cyl

Upon starting our 2006 Pontiac Solstice around the first week of Feb. 2013 to pull it out of the garage to let it run a bit since it has not been driven for the last few months due to us living in an area that has cold winter temperatures, I noticed the service air bag message showed up on the dic and did not go off. I shut the car off a couple of times and restarted it thinking the service air bag message would go away, but it hasn't. our pampered 2006 Solstice only has 28,000 miles on it. Not sure why this message would be showing up now out of the blue when the car was just fine when it was parked in the garage 3 months ago. From what I've been told the service air bag message is due to a failure of the passenger seat sensor. How does something all of the sudden fail just sitting there not being driven? after doing some research and reading hundreds, probably over a thousand complaints about the same issue, I found that this is a very common safety issue that I along with too many others have had to happen to our car's. seems like it is a defective passenger seat sensor part that just fails randomly which could put a passenger in grave danger, and it seems from what I've discovered GM is not offering to do anything about it, leaving the owners to pay the high cost to have it replaced and repaired. Most people cannot afford to have the repair done and should not be responsible for the cost of a procedure that should be recalled because of a very high number of these type passenger seat sensors failing.

- Glasgow, KY, USA

Aug 172011

Solstice 4-cyl

The air bag senor in my vehicle failed after a car wash and interior cleaning. I'm afraid for my passengers that have to ride with me that includes my wife, I've seen the repair cost ($500-$800). At this time I can't afford the price for it to fail in a short time again, which is from what I've read is a common for this vehicle.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Oct 062012

The air bag on/off light continuously says off, does not change, the message center flashes service air bag, and the air bag dummy light stays on.

- Leo, IN, USA

Aug 032012

Passenger side air bag sensor displays as needing service. Light does not go out with passenger in the car. This is a huge safety issue. There are a number of cars effected by this and a resolve is needed for the safety of the drivers and passengers.

- Springboro, OH, USA

Jun 182012

Solstice 4-cyl

The light on the dash came on that is an "air bag service warning light" and says to service the air bag. I just looked up other cars with this problem and find a lot of similar or exact problems. This should be a factory recall in my opinion due to being such a safety hazard. It also appears that the dealers don't know how to fix it and are willing to charge you for attempted repairs only to make you spend more time and money to bring it back several times and keep trying to correct the problem. This is typical of many new car dealers on other service areas too. Please ask them to fix these problems before human life is greatly affected. Thank you for your help!

- Tomball, TX, USA

Aug 012011

The passenger side air bag on-off indicator is always off with an air bag warning idiot light and dic message. I assume the passenger air bag is not functional. I have found many complaints on the internet, and the repair cost from GM is extremely high. Since this problem is a safety issue and not an isolated occurrence, wouldn't GM want to voluntarily issue a recall. If they don't, can they be forced to do this by the NHTSA? what is the criteria for a recall (safety risk, % vehicles affected, production numbers)?

- Evans, GA, USA