Overheating

7.0

$2,500.00

2. hooked my fan cable up to my battery so the fan is always on (1 reports)
  3. replaced plastic coolant connection to the head and head (1 reports)
1998 Pontiac Sunfire cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Pontiac Sunfire:

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Owner Comments

Jul 192006

Sunfire Sedan SE 2.2L

The coolant system has been flushed 6 times, and nothing has changed. The car gets so hot I have to keep the Fan on and I have to crank my heat just so my head gasket doesn't blow, and that's not comfortable by any means in the Summer.

- , Bowling Green, OH, USA

Oct 162007

Sunfire GT 2.4L

Coolant leaked out of the plastic connector in the head and the engine overheated, the fan seized, the head warped and everything else let go: rings-lifters----

Not impressed by the concep and who design that stupid engine?

The fan is a b--- to remove and that engine is the worst to dismantle. no wonder the discontinued the model...

- , Chilliwack, BC, Canada

May 012007

Sunfire SE 2.2

My car always wants to overheat so your always checking the coolant level. I couldn't even drive home(witch is 14 hours) on the Interstate without having problems. So I hooked my fan cable up to my battery so the fan is always on. When you turn your car off though it makes a funny noise like your car just died but its not hurting anything and its worth it in the long run.

- , Billings, MT, USA

Apr 152007

Sunfire 2.2

The cooling system is just crap. GM thought they had a brilliant idea for a new overflow tank. It doest have a traditional radiator, just a tank. The coolant doesn't last. Must check coolant everyday to keep it full. The fan doesn't work. The thermostat lasts about 3 months. We have replaced the overflow tank/radiator cap. The cost for this problem is ongoing, because we keep having to buy coolant and thermostats. Not sure if problem will ever go away.

- , Star, ID, USA