NHTSA — Steering: Linkages: Tie Rod Assembly Problems

1998 Pontiac Sunfire steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Pontiac Sunfire:

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Owner Comments

Feb 062002

First this clicking/popping sound started coming from the steering wheel when you turn it at low speed. The mechanic said its the inner tie rods that need to be replaced. But to replace them you have to replace the whole steering assembly because there made as one piece. Then one month ago the car started shacking at idle speed. If you are in drive or nuetruel at a stop light standing still you could feel it shacking a little. The dealer said it could be anything from electric problems to coil problems. But just yesterday I was driving at night on the freeway going about 60mph when I saw smoke behind my car. I got on the shoulder and saw smoke comming out of the engine. Then I tried starting the car but it won't start. So I had it towed to my house. At my house I checked the engine with a flashlight and found a big hole (3-4 in diameter) in the engine by the dipstick. It seems that something got loose in the engine that made the car shacking and when it got lose it just flew out. Luckly it didn't when tru the hood. If anyone could help me please in finding maybe theres like a service bulletin or a recall for this problems. Also I will never buy any stupid Pontiac and won't reccomend one for anyone.

- Ceres, CA, USA