NHTSA — Steering: Rack And Pinion: Pinion Shaft Problems

1998 Pontiac Sunfire steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Pontiac Sunfire:

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Owner Comments

Aug 122004

Sunfire 4-cyl

My car makes a clunking noise whenever I turn to the right or left. The first time I had the repair was in 2002 at a Pontiac dealership and was covered by warranty. However the problem has returned and I contacted the dealership. They have told me that they only guarantee work done for a year, which leaves me to pay for the repair. I have also contacted GMC and they will not help cover any charges, even though this is the second time I will need this same problem fixed. It seems to me that this "shaft" problem should be taken care of either by the dealership or GMC. By reading the other reports here, it's obvious to me that there are others who are complaining about the same problem. So why hasn't there been a recall" why am I responsible for the payment when it's a manufacturer issue"

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA