Clearcoat Disintegrates

1. give money to owners for a new paint job (5 reports)
2002 Pontiac Sunfire body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Pontiac Sunfire:

2002 Pontiac Sunfire Owner Comments

Oct 102011

Sunfire LX 3.2L

I have a 2002 pontiac sunfire i bought brand new. The clear coat is peeling so bad it looks like crap and iam very embarassed to be seen driving my car. It started on the roof and went down on the hood, now its going down the sides and the trunk. Something should be done about this. The engine is still strong in the car.

Its a shame to have a once beautiful car turn into a junk looking car!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Galloway, OH, USA

Dec 012010

Sunfire 6

This was a beautiful, sleek, stylish looking car that's been well taken care of and maintained. I would imagine the engine has several years left on it. But it looks crappy! The clear coat is peeling off the roof and just gets bigger and bigger. It looks like it should be sitting out in someone's overgrown yard with 20 other broke down problem cars.

The pride I felt when I drove my car is gone. I'm embarrassed at work because my coworkers all drive nice cars. Nothing fancy but decent. Mine now looks like trash.

I don't think I should have to pay for a new paint job. This is documented as a problem with this vehicle. Please fix our cars.

- , Bullhead City, AZ, USA

Jun 012011

Sunfire 2.2L

THIS CAR WAS BOUGHT OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR, A REAL GEM AND WAS EXACTLY WHAT MY WIFE AND I HAD IN MIND WE HAVE BEEN GM CUSTOMERS FOR OVER 30 YRS. AND THIS BY FAR HAS BEEN THE ONLY PROBLEM WE HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED . IT IS DOWN RIGHT SAD THE WAY THE CLEAR COAT HAS STARTED TO BREAK DOWN ON THE ROOF ....JUST SAD BUT OTHERWISE THE CAR HAS LIVED UP TO ABOVE AND BEYOND EXPECTATIONS BUT WITH WHITE SPOTS COVERING THE ROOF EMBARASSING.............HELP!!!!!!!!

- , Cudahy, WI, USA

Apr 012009

Sunfire Se Coupe 2.2L

My 2002 Sunfire was my first brand new car, that I had ever bought... I was so proud of my car, I would wash it weekly... I took excellent care of my car... When I noticed the clear coat peeling off the roof of my car, I almost cried... I took my car to a auto body shop to ask what was happening to my paint job, I thought maybe I had been washing it too much or that I had done something wrong... but they assured me that I was not at fault in any way... I'm not sure what my re-course can be in this situation... All I know is I'm heart broken... I don't enjoy washing my car anymore, I can't stand to look at my car... The clear coat is peeling more & more, its spreading to the doors now... My car has 65,000 miles on it and it looks as if it should have 200,000 miles... I'm very disappointed.... Is there anyway that I can get Pontiac to fix this problem????

- , st louis, MO, USA

Apr 042006

Sunfire GT 2.4L

The clear coat is disintegrating all over the car. Car was not garaged, but cared for very well. I've had older cars in the past whose paint jobs last much longer.

- , State College, PA, USA