NHTSA — Electrical System: Instrument Panel Problems

2.8

2004 Pontiac Sunfire accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Sunfire:

2004 Pontiac Sunfire Owner Comments

Jan 012008

Sunfire

The speedometer on my 2004 Pontiac Sunfire sticks at various speeds and does not return to 0mph when I stop. At highway speeds it will be pegged all the way to max. This condition seems to be worse when the temperature is cold. I have also noticed that the tachometer will do the same thing but is not as bad as the speedometer. When the engine is shut off and restarted the tach will reset back to 0.

- Vail, AZ, USA

Jun 122006

Sunfire 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire. While driving at various speeds, the speedometer displays inaccurate readings. The dealer stated that they would have to replace the speedometer cluster in the instrument control panel. The vehicle has not been repaired due to the cost. The failure and current mileages were 20,000. Updated 07/09/08 the consumer stated the problem occurs when it is really hot or cold outside. Updated

- Coeurd'alene, ID, USA

Dec 012007

Sunfire 4-cyl

All gauges were accurate until one morning when I was driving and noticed that the speedometer was stuck on 50 when car wash completely stopped. As I drove farther the speedometer rose to 70 when at a complete stop. The RPM gauge is reading 0 when car is in motion which is completely impossible.

- Richmond, IL, USA