NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control Problems

4.2

2005 Pontiac Sunfire engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Pontiac Sunfire:

2005 Pontiac Sunfire Owner Comments

Nov 042005

Sunfire 4-cyl

While driving with cruise control on in a remote area of Utah (between milford and minersville) I ran over a cattle guard running across the road. Immediately, my gas pedal dropped to the floor and attempted to gain maximum speed. Several steps on the brake pedal finally disengaged the cruise control. If this had happened in a high volume traffic area, or in the nearby S-turns going through the canyon, this could have caused a very serious accident or worse. Fortunately the event only lasted a few seconds and managed to scare the crap out of me. I know I had no part in causing this because at the moment I was resting my feet and neither foot was on the brakes or gas pedal. Unknown if this would happen again because I refused to use the cruise control any more during my trip. This was a rental car with apx 27,500 miles on it.

- Tooele, UT, USA