NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: No heat, no air conditioning, and visibility issues because of a busted defogger system. Basically, anything coming out of a vent in the 2006 Torrent is broken.

2006 Pontiac Torrent brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac Torrent:

2006 Pontiac Torrent Owner Comments

Sep 162016

Torrent

A number of unusual issues have plagued us with this car! the keys slide out of the ignition while car is still running. At random times, the engine will rev, but the car will barely move until it eventually stops. Even then it will turn on and the engine will run, but it won't move. At other times, the electrical shuts down and there is no power at all, no lights or sounds. We've replaced the battery (a very expensive one at that) twice, as whatever is happening drains it. The car throws codes that make it impossible to pass inspection. These include: E-vap, throttle body, assorted sensors, break pedal, gas cap, heat/ac motor, and so on. We have replaced and/or repaired everything on the code list and still, it won't clear. The check engine light, ABS, and tread light remain on no matter what we do. We were advised to keep driving it until the computer cleared the codes to "ready", but it's not working. Recently, white wisps of smoke were coming from the steering column, along with a burning smell. The car just died and refused to start. We had to replace the turn signal switch. These are things that should not be occurring with normal maintenance and driving. We've also been told by mechanics that they are dangerous issues, including the possibility of fire while driving, and failures that cause wrecks. They cannot explain why they are occurring, especially after repair. One person said we probably made some repairs that were unnecessary, but we needed the car to pass required inspection. We are sinking too much money into this vehicle to keep it running and cannot afford a new payment as this one is purchased in full. We are disabled, needing dependable transportation for medical appointments and daily errands. Why aren't there recalls? this model is all over the internet and forums for these faulty codes & issues! incredibly irresponsible of the manufacturer.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Mar 032015

Torrent 6-cyl

1. key locks in ignition 2. ABS light, traction control, brakes warning light, airbag and stay on.. brakes lock up, tires roll wont stop, pulsation then brake pedal to floor. The lights stay on no GM mechanic can repair. 3. clicking, tapping and burning smell coming from under dash and steering column. 4.when it rains puddles on passenger side and driver on floor of car like the doors are not lined up with car. 5. high beam lights come on by themselves cant turn off drain battery electrical problem. 6. steering locks in turn. Backend of vehicle not balanced rides sideways.at high speed. Im sure someone has lost a life in these defective vehicles if a study wa S done professionally from 2006 to 2015. These defects would be the cause. I paid 20,000 for this vehicle no one can repair.that's why production was discontinued to prevent lawsuits. Vehicle should be recalled bought back from consumers and put out of circulation its dangerous.

- Bellwood, IL, USA

Sep 262011

Torrent 6-cyl

On 09/26/11, I took my car into the dealer about the ABS and tc light coming on in the car. I also reported having problems with turning over the car as the car would hesitate and stall at times. In regards to the ABS issue I reported a hearing a knocking sound coming from the front end of the vehicle and feeling a vibration on the break pedal when the knocking sound occurred. I was told by the dealer the ABS hub and sensor needed replacement. I was also informed the car was still safe to drive in the meantime. The cost to replace the hub was estimated around $437 plus tax. Since I was also having ignition starting problems during this time, I decided to pay for a cleaning induction service recommended by the dealer to help with the ignition starting issue in the amount of $413.56. I was later informed the cleaning of the upper intake, valve, and combustion area had no real effect on my vehicle starting because on 09/04/12 I reported having the same issues with the ignition. The dealer then diagnosed the real issue, which was replacement of the ignition switch. This has left the ABS issues still occurring in the car. I have also read numerous complaints online about other Pontiac Torrents having the same ABS and tc issues. This has the potential for real devastating events on the roadways as the ABS hub and sensor is defective, causing the braking system to lock up when trying to brake. I want this car recalled for the ignition switch and ABS / tc issues.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 062014

Torrent

Since April 2014 I have replaced brake pads, rotors & calipers on my vehicle. They are now shot again & I'm livid!! I've talked to others who have owned a Pontiac & apparently this same issue has happened to others. Been told it has to do with the ABS system keeping constant pressure on the pads & not releasing. I'm a single mom and I do not feel safe in this vehicle. I need my car for work, hauling my child around to school, etc & it's not very reassuring when I see on the news that there have been 21 deaths due to GM vehicles. Having brake issues with a car should be acknowledged asap.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Jan 052012

Torrent

I was driving down the street when a bus pulled in front of me to make a let turn. I went to apply the brakes and I only got a pulsation in the brake pedal and the vehicle wouldn't slow down until it was too late. The front of my vehicle hit the side of the bus causing significant damage to both the vehicles. After the accident I noticed the traction control and ABS lights were illuminated. After that accident the brakes have been doing the pulsation and inability to stop. I have been to the dealership numerous times and replaced wheel hubs and speed sensors and the problem still persist. This is an extremely dangerous problem and GM has done nothing!

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jun 012012

Torrent

I was driving down the street coming to a stop when all of a sudden the anti lock/ traction control activated while trying to stop. For a couple seconds I wasn't able to stop as if the car was preventing the wheels from locking up as it would on wet pavement but it wasn't wet at all. There was pulsation in the break pedal preventing me pressing the break pedal all the way down and the vehicle wasn't slowing down at all causing me to almost run into the back of a school bus. It stills continues today after 2 visits to the dealer ship an independent repair facility. There has been several near misses with this vehicle.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Apr 232014

Torrent 6-cyl

Slowing down at a stop sign from 30mph I notice my brake pedal stutter like the ABS was activated. It would only happen a few times a day, all a random through out the day. After 3 days of this, the ABS light and tc light came on. It was diagnosed with front left hub assembly needing to be replaced at $650. This was completed on a Friday. By Wednesday I was feeling stuttering in the brake pedal again and the ABS light came back on. We took it back to the repair shop and they could not diagnose the issue, so they replace the hub assembly again, thinking there was a defect. This occurred last Friday. Today is Tuesday and my brakes stuttered again this morning and the lights came on again. They now propose that there is a control module issue or a wiring harness issue. I have yet to receive a quote for the new repairs.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 312014

Torrent

The ABS light and tc off light keep coming on. At the same time this happens the brake pedal has what seems like a grinding feeling. The lights come on more frequently in warmer weather. However the grinding is more frequent in colder weather.

- Bartlesville, OK, USA