2006 Pontiac Torrent electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac Torrent:

2006 Pontiac Torrent Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Feb 062015

Torrent

After shutting off my 2006 Pontiac Torrent, I heard a clicking than a power up type sound and next I knew the car was turning over trying to start. I do not have automatic start and no the key was not in the ignition. I proceeded to open the hood to investigate the situation. I had to remove the battery cover to remove the positive cable so all was quiet. Thinking it may have reset itself I put the cable back into the battery, the same thing happened, I again removed the cable and called a tow truck. I was informed the underhood fuse box was so corroded under the box it self that when any moisture is in the air or snow per say it is causing the fuses to shorten themselves out. I was told this could potential cause a fire and was told to google the situation and see. Low and behold he was right! people have had fires, melt downs, you name it. The eye opener really came in when the mechanic went to order the parts...there are only 7 of these underhood fuse boxes in the whole United States. Yes, only 7! this could be very dangerous!! this could potentially kill someone. As these vehicles are getting older the worse this situation could get.

- Frazee, MN, USA

Jan 162015

Torrent

The seat heater stopped working. Took the vehicle to a local auto shop to have heater replaced. Mechanic removed old heater pad; the heater pad had a hole burned into it about the size of a quarter. Some very minor scorching on areas that were in contact with the heating pad. I have the part still for reference.

- Anderson, IN, USA

May 022012

Torrent

One morning I go to leave for work and my car is dead. When roadside assistance provides a jump start, it's found that my high-beams were on. I did not leave any lights on. I could not get the high-beams to turn off until I pulled the turn signal/multifunction lever toward me and held it there. On 4 more occasions, this exact same incident occurred. My car was dead and required a jump start. The high-beams would not turn off unless I pulled the lever toward me and held it there. This issue is, not only draining my battery but damaging it. It's a huge inconvenience and leaves me stranded at times. Also, it's dangerous. I've smelled & noticed smoke coming from the lever and steering column. No repairs have been made yet. There should be a recall for this electrical malfunction.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 082014

Torrent

My blend door actuator has failed and fell off inside of my cab causing my heat to fail inside my cab for both defrost and heat. I live in a cold climate and it's impossible to drive without heat in the winter. The repair technician quoted me 9+ hours of labor to remove my dash, install the new actuator and re-install my dash. It will take three days to repair and cost me $1800 to fix. Apparently, after speaking with the service technician and my local auto shop, this is a common problem with Pontiac Torrents as I've also read dozens of complaints from people on this site. He said there might be a recall on the part, and I should check. However, after searching my VIN, it does not appear to be a recalled part at this time. I cannot believe this has not been recalled as this is such a costly repair to be made for a faulty part from GM. Please help as this is not does not appear to be an isolated occurrence with Pontiac Torrents.

- Crystal, MN, USA

Sep 042012

Torrent

On 09/04/12 I brought my car into the dealer because I was having problems with the ignition switch. The ignition switch would lock up preventing the car from turning over. The key would also get stuck in the ignition and would not release. I had the problem repaired, but with all of the recalls on every other GM vehicle having to do with the ignition switch, I would also like to see the Pontiac Torrent 2006 recalled as well. Also, this issue happened prior to the recall. So I am not 100% confident the ignition switch that was replaced in my vehicle by the dealer was a defective part.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 302014

Torrent 4WD 6-cyl

Able to take key out of ignition with the car in neutral gear and running. Car was towed to dealership where some work was done, however, when checked with attendant, incident recurred. Car started put car in neutral removed keys from car car continued running, engine did not cut off.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Aug 082014

Torrent 6-cyl

As I was driving in a grocery store parking lot, I heard a squeal or winding sound then I saw a puff of smoke come out of my steering wheel - ignition area.

- Elverta, CA, USA

Jul 232014

Torrent

The electrical wires in the driver side door becomes broken and detached. This causes numerous issues: The driver side door, driver side window, driver left side mirror to become inoperable.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jun 012012

Torrent

I was driving down the street coming to a stop when all of a sudden the anti lock/ traction control activated while trying to stop. For a couple seconds I wasn't able to stop as if the car was preventing the wheels from locking up as it would on wet pavement but it wasn't wet at all. There was pulsation in the break pedal preventing me pressing the break pedal all the way down and the vehicle wasn't slowing down at all causing me to almost run into the back of a school bus. It stills continues today after 2 visits to the dealer ship an independent repair facility. There has been several near misses with this vehicle.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Apr 132011

Torrent 6-cyl

The wiring harness between the body and the driver's door (and front passenger door) is too short, and subsequently stretches and frays and breaks the wires, resulting in failure of various door components including power door lock, power window, side mirror control, radio off when exiting vehicle after driving, door chime when key in ignition, door automatically locking when vehicle in drive position (safety hazard), door unlocking when in park position (exit vehicle safety hazard) and door stereo speakers. Since this is the least likely culprit when troubleshooting, it should become the first item when any door component fails on this vehicle. The passenger door has an identical issue, however, since the typical frequency of use of this door is much less, the issue occurs less frequently. There are numerous instances of this from hundreds of Pontiac Torrent owners, with pictures, on the internet. This is how the problem solution is commonly found, the last thing one would think is bad wiring. Many owners of this vehicle had challenged GM to repair or recall, to no avail. GM social media bloggers often chimed in to contact GM, but when owners did so, nothing really happened regarding helping out owners with the issue nor the cost of repair. Many owners actually paid for or bought completely new wiring harnesses, which are very expensive for the part as well as expensive the in-door installation. Others spliced their own wires to effect a solution. This issue is on a 2006 Pontiac Torrent, however, it is possible that all years of that vehicle 2006-2009 as well as the similar Chevrolet equinox 2005-2009 are all effected, since they all share many common components.

- Milford, MI, USA

Jun 062014

Torrent 6-cyl

I have had multiple problems with my ignition and it stripping twice within a year. I have also had to change the ignition fuse multiple times within the last three months. The most recent incident happened this morning while driving at about 45 mph my truck completely shut off. I was lucky to have a bystander get out of their vehicle and push my truck to the side of the road. In the middle of the person moving my vehicle, it automatically started back up. I'm not too sure how or why this has happened. There are no visible warning signals. This happened to me last week as well. Once I start the truck up it runs fine and then just shuts off and after a couple of minutes, it starts back up automatically. This is an extremely dangerous defect. I really hope GM or Pontiac looks into this issue... there are multiple complaints with the same issues that I have been having. I believe this is sad that as many complaints that have been issued about this vehicle, that there is not yet a recall on it.

- Spring, TX, USA

Aug 012012

Torrent

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Torrent. The contact stated while attempting to accelerate the vehicle would not move. The contact also indicated that on several occasions while driving at speeds above 45 mph the vehicle would suddenly stall. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the defect. The contact also indicated that while operating the heater or air conditioner a mist was coming from the vents leaving a residue inside the cabin. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of failure. The contact also indicated that the drivers side heated seat was extremely hot to the touch and a electrical burning odor was present. The defrost malfunctioned which created a visibility hazard. The failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 85000.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Dec 032013

Torrent 6-cyl

When stopping vehicle and attempting to exit, the key gets stuck in ignition after turning vehicle off. I have to wiggle key in order to release from ignition. Turning steering wheel does nothing to help the situation. I am worried about possibly breaking key while trying to release it.

- Durham, NC, USA

Mar 102014

Torrent 6-cyl

Car will start fine and run between the 1 and 2 section of RPM gauge.after 10-15 min. Of operation car will die suddenly no sputtering and electronics seem to still work (radio, flashers, headlights, dash lights), must coast to side of road before being plowed into. Check engine light came on. Took into local mechanic said the catalytic converter code was on and that they "blew it out", light shut off Torrent ran fine for 1 day. Repeated process is of dying is now ongoing, car will either die or stall (feels like a downshift), then blow out a cloud of black smoke and keep running if engine does not die, also RPM's reduce to the 0 - 1 section of gauge rather then the normal 1-2 section like when I bought it. 2 mechanics could not find the problem after checking 2 sensor's, fuel pump and fuse box. Problem still not resolved....

- Glendale Heights, IL, USA

Mar 172014

Torrent

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Torrent. The contact stated that while entering a garage, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after approximately 5 minutes and the vehicle operated normally. The failure recurred on another occasion when the contact was entering a driveway with the illumination of the check engine warning light. Additionally, the key would sporadically fail to enter the ignition switch. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 81,900. Updated 4/28/14

- Westminster , MD, USA

Nov 202013

Torrent

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Torrent. The contact stated while driving approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel became inoperable. The vehicle was inspected by an authorized dealer; who advised that the power steering module and control module would need replacing. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, who replaced the ignition lock cylinder, key and recoded the lock cylinder. After the repairs to the ignition, the key would not immediately start the vehicle. This failure was recurring. The dealer then advised the contact to replace the steering column modular assembly. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Mar 012010

Torrent

Driving approx. 45 mph down 4 lane highway in the left lane. Engine stopped and lost all steering & braking control. Able to coast to a ditch on side of the road. Turned the vehicle to off position in ignition switch then attempted to restart vehicle. After 3-4 cranking attempts, car started. Went straight to nearest dealership. Service department stated that there was nothing wrong because the check engine light was not on. Second occasion- driving approx. 25 mph down 2 lane road. Began to slow down to turn left- engine stopped and lost all steering & braking control. Able to coast to side of the road. Turned the vehicle to off position in ignition switch then attempted to restart vehicle. Car started after several attempts. Went to nearest service store and once again was told that nothing appeared to be wrong because there were no lights on. Takes multiple cranking attempts to start the vehicle on a daily basis. No pattern to when. Could be in the am, pm, middle of the day, hot, cold, warm, raining, snowing, sunny, cloudy.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Jan 012014

Torrent

While driving 55mph on a trip the heat just stopped blowing. As since, this weather has been -20 and -25 below and I have no defrost, heat. I went to a certified mechanic only to find out the heat/air/door is broke. Cost of repairs $1200 to $1,500 it is an all day job. The dash and all components will have to be removed and put back on. Needless to say with this winter being one of the coldest I understand and can feel what others are going through that has this same problem... and I have to bundle just to go to work. I work an hour away and after finding this is a huge problem !!!! I think that there should be money given to the ones that needs this fixed.

- Whitley, KY, USA

Nov 132013

Torrent 6-cyl

On November 15, 2013 I was driving my vehicle and smoke started coming from up under the hood. I pulled over and raised the hood and the electrical wires to the electrical box was on fire. I cut off the vehicle and sat for a minute and the automatic starter just kept starting the car by itself. I got in the vehicle and tried to start the vehicle with the key in the ignition and when I stepped on the brake it tried to start without me turning the key over. I got back out the vehicle and it continued to automatically start by itself until the battery ran dead. On November 18, 2013 I had a mechanic look at the vehicle and he stated that the electrical system had burned up.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Nov 132013

Torrent

I am totally outraged finding out that GM placed a non safe part on this truck that I bought brand new. It will cost $1000 even after keeping this truck maintenance free, trouble free from regular maintenance at the deliver that I purchased it from. I am very upset that this part was not recalled as the part costs between $22-100.00 while the labor because of where it is will cost up to $1000 at the dealer I purchased it from and get regular maintenance check ups with. I totally agree with all of the consumers on here: The actuator that operates the heater blend door - overextends and breaks the heater blend door. This causes the heater to not work at all. The actuators are defective and the heater doors are defective because they break due to a manufacturers defect. If the heat doesn't work the windows won't defrost so this is a visibility hazard. I also listed it as an electrical and unknown hazard.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA