2006 Pontiac Torrent electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac Torrent:

2006 Pontiac Torrent Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 172014

Torrent

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Torrent. The contact stated that while entering a garage, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after approximately 5 minutes and the vehicle operated normally. The failure recurred on another occasion when the contact was entering a driveway with the illumination of the check engine warning light. Additionally, the key would sporadically fail to enter the ignition switch. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 81,900.

- Westminster , MD, USA

Nov 202013

Torrent

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Torrent. The contact stated while driving approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel became inoperable. The vehicle was inspected by an authorized dealer; who advised that the power steering module and control module would need replacing. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, who replaced the ignition lock cylinder, key and recoded the lock cylinder. After the repairs to the ignition, the key would not immediately start the vehicle. This failure was recurring. The dealer then advised the contact to replace the steering column modular assembly. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Mar 012010

Torrent

Driving approx. 45 mph down 4 lane highway in the left lane. Engine stopped and lost all steering & braking control. Able to coast to a ditch on side of the road. Turned the vehicle to off position in ignition switch then attempted to restart vehicle. After 3-4 cranking attempts, car started. Went straight to nearest dealership. Service department stated that there was nothing wrong because the check engine light was not on. Second occasion- driving approx. 25 mph down 2 lane road. Began to slow down to turn left- engine stopped and lost all steering & braking control. Able to coast to side of the road. Turned the vehicle to off position in ignition switch then attempted to restart vehicle. Car started after several attempts. Went to nearest service store and once again was told that nothing appeared to be wrong because there were no lights on. Takes multiple cranking attempts to start the vehicle on a daily basis. No pattern to when. Could be in the am, pm, middle of the day, hot, cold, warm, raining, snowing, sunny, cloudy.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Jan 012014

Torrent

While driving 55mph on a trip the heat just stopped blowing. As since, this weather has been -20 and -25 below and I have no defrost, heat. I went to a certified mechanic only to find out the heat/air/door is broke. Cost of repairs $1200 to $1,500 it is an all day job. The dash and all components will have to be removed and put back on. Needless to say with this winter being one of the coldest I understand and can feel what others are going through that has this same problem... and I have to bundle just to go to work. I work an hour away and after finding this is a huge problem !!!! I think that there should be money given to the ones that needs this fixed.

- Whitley, KY, USA

Nov 132013

Torrent 6-cyl

On November 15, 2013 I was driving my vehicle and smoke started coming from up under the hood. I pulled over and raised the hood and the electrical wires to the electrical box was on fire. I cut off the vehicle and sat for a minute and the automatic starter just kept starting the car by itself. I got in the vehicle and tried to start the vehicle with the key in the ignition and when I stepped on the brake it tried to start without me turning the key over. I got back out the vehicle and it continued to automatically start by itself until the battery ran dead. On November 18, 2013 I had a mechanic look at the vehicle and he stated that the electrical system had burned up.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Nov 132013

Torrent

I am totally outraged finding out that GM placed a non safe part on this truck that I bought brand new. It will cost $1000 even after keeping this truck maintenance free, trouble free from regular maintenance at the deliver that I purchased it from. I am very upset that this part was not recalled as the part costs between $22-100.00 while the labor because of where it is will cost up to $1000 at the dealer I purchased it from and get regular maintenance check ups with. I totally agree with all of the consumers on here: The actuator that operates the heater blend door - overextends and breaks the heater blend door. This causes the heater to not work at all. The actuators are defective and the heater doors are defective because they break due to a manufacturers defect. If the heat doesn't work the windows won't defrost so this is a visibility hazard. I also listed it as an electrical and unknown hazard.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Apr 122013

Torrent 6-cyl

Purchased vehicle used on 12/06/2006 with 9,968 miles. Replaced entire engine ($5,000) on 03/27/2009 due to issues with the cylinder head gasket (was told the vehicle was no longer under warranty). Mileage at that time was 84,625. In approximately 2009 the passenger side window started going up and down spontaneously. My dog had her head out of the window and it spontaneously closed on her head, restricting her airway. The passenger side door was ripped apart and wiring was replaced. The window worked correctly for about 2 years and then in 2011, the window stopped working entirely. Have had 3 wheel bearings replaced (one twice). In January/February of 2013, the ignition switch and fuse center had to be replaced. Mechanics advised that the fuse center/panel was on "national back order" with no known available date. They repaired it. Total cost paid for that repair was over $335.87. Mileage at that time was 171827 on April 12th the heater stopped working as I was driving. The fan still blows but only cold air. The hoses from the coolant tank heat up when the car is running. Known problem with this make/model. According to similar complaints filed the entire dash will need to be dismantled to fix the blend door/actuator. Known defective part.

- Eau Claire, WI, USA

Mar 112013

Torrent 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Torrent. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the driver seat wires melted through the seat without warning. The contact sustained a third degree burn on her lower back. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 126,000.

- Center Rutland, VT, USA

Mar 062013

Torrent

I started my Torrent just like any morning, the heater ran for maybe 10 minutes then just stopped. It will not blow out any kind of air (hot or cold). Being winter, cold and frosty, this is a severe safety issue. With no defroster it is very hard to see, and its very cold. It costs around 1200 dollars to get it fixed. Even if it is fixed I as told the way that they made the Torrent that it will just break again. I do not have that kind of cash just laying around. It should be recalled but GM is to cheap. This is not the first time I have heard of this happening. I drive along ways and its dangerous not being able to see.

- Cananadaigua, NY, USA

Nov 202010

Torrent

The heater and the defroster stopped working. I found that there are a lot of people experiencing this problem. This is a safety issue during the winter time because the defrost does not work. Everyone online says the repair is around $1200 because of how hard it is to get to the part. Please issue a recall!

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 012012

Torrent

The actuator that operates the heater blend door - overextends and breaks the heater blend door. This causes the heater to not work at all. The actuators are defective and the heater doors are defective because they break due to a manufacturers defect. If the heat doesn't work the windows won't defrost so this is a visibility hazard. I also listed it as an electrical and unknown hazard. There are thousands of complaints out on the internet for the 2006 Pontiac Torrents & Chevy equinox's and all of them have the same problem and most of them are around the 50,000 mile mark. GM will not pay for it if it is past the warranty because they say there isn't a recall for this. These 2 parts should be recalled because it is a hazard to drive your vehicle if you can't defrost your windows. It is approximately $900-$1200 to fix because they need to take apart the entire dash board to get at the actuator and the blend door. GM should stand behind this and fix this so that people can drive safely and be able to see out their windows.

- Juneau, WI, USA

Mar 222012

Torrent 6-cyl

On 2 occasions my car died on me in the middle of the road while im driving with my newborn. First time I got gas. Half mile down the road car dies.they say its fuel pump. Spent 3 days at shop on third day with no work done car starts runs fine for 2 weeks with multiple gas fill ups in between. Three days ago I get gas drive 1/2 block park car, half hour later get in car start driving, try to put windows down but they wont come down. Im now 1/2 mile into my drive on busy road with my baby in the car and I barely made it off the road before being slammed into by a semi. I spent an hour in 80 degree weather in my car with my baby with no way to put windows down. I called a tow truck. By the time the tow got there my car started. I had it towed anyway for fear of having this happen again. Tow it to a dealership nothing wrong with it. So this is twice now they have found nothing. I bought this car when I had my child because I was driving a 92 Toyota and I just felt I needed something newer and more reliable but apparently I should have stuck with my Toyota it never in the time I had it broke down and it had 192,000 miles on it. If this isn't a safety issue I don't know what it is. Does it seriously have to be a fatal accident before something is done about this because it just about happened 3 days ago to an infant and myself. Please address this issue in a timely manor.

- Harmony, PA, USA

Jul 142011

Torrent

Wiring harness between door and body on drivers door suspected due to multiple components related to door not working. First failure was thought to be door switch needed replacing as dome light would not turn on chime would not sound when locking door and radio would continue to play after door closed. 5 months later the power window fails to operate. (fortunately in the up position) extended warranty purchased on vehicle, wiring harness between door and body not covered. Research shows multiple other cases of problem being identified townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.F1C2eea the wiring harness is either too short or installed correctly. I wish to be sure that a replacement harness does not exhibit the same problem as it will lead to a rather toasty experience called a fire if not remedied.

- Lovettsville, VA, USA

Jun 012010

Torrent

I went through a car wash and water poured out of the reading lights and also on to the driver and passenger floors. My Torrent would not move when I put it into drive. Eventually, after about 30 minutes, it would go forward a little bit if I put the gas pedal to the floor and held it for about one minute. Every time I stopped at a stoplight, the Torrent would not move forward when I stepped on the gas - until I held the pedal down for a long time and then it would creep forward slowly. I cannot go through car washes any longer. The air conditioner and heat work intermittently - sometimes just fine, sometimes not at all - depends on the temperature outside it seems. I do not get any warm air when the defrost is on.

- Prescott, WI, USA

Apr 152010

Torrent

April 15th, 2010 our ignition wouldn't kick over. It would take more than three times to kick over. I tried conditioning the spark plug and it didn't help. (we just lived with the problem) June 2011 we had our first electrical problem with the car. The radio was the first to go in May. Then in July our A/C stopped working, and all we had left was our heat. We were able to fix the A/C, but it didn't last very long. We then lost A/C again and our radio started working in August(2011). Shortly after the radio started working we lost heat. Now we have only the radio that works. We cannot see anything because of the heat not working. The visibility is completely horrible! I have researched this issue and found that it would cost us 1,500 dollars to fix it. I can't afford that! we haven't had the car two years yet and it's stating to break down! this is a serious issue!!!

- Mountain Home Afb, ID, USA

May 202011

Torrent

During the summer, the air conditioning on our 2006 Pontiac Torrent started acting up. We could only run the car's air conditioner for a few minutes before it would start blowing out warm air. We found that if we turned it off for a while, then turned it back on, it would work for a while longer, then we would have to repeat the process. Now that cooler temperatures are here, we have found that the heater is blowing out cold air. We took it to a repair shop to see what was wrong with it and was told that it was the blend door, which is a common problem with the Torrent. Cost: $1200, as it would be a good eight hour job to replace the necessary part. Since the cost was so high, we took it to another place and was given the same verdict, but the repair cost was substantially less - $750, which is still a lot for a part that costs less than $100. We don't have the money to have this part replaced right now because we just dished out $551 to have the catalytic converter replaced, so we are looking into a portable heater until we can afford to have the repairs done. The blend door should be recalled and taken care of by the manufacturer. Our family of five (the youngest being nine years old) has been bundling up every time we get into the car, but are worried about when the temperature gets colder and the windows start frosting over. This part, in particular, is extremely dangerous to be without during the winter, due to inadequate visibility from windows that cannot be defrosted. Definitely a safety issue that should be addressed by the manufacturer!!!

- Granite City, IL, USA

Nov 142011

Torrent

The heat went out in my 2006 Pontiac Torrent. Took it to the dealership where I was told it was the blend door actuator. I was also told this is a common problem with the Pontiac Torrent. The labor alone on this problem is $1200. The part itself is only costing me $35. I feel this is very dangerous as it gets very cold in Indiana for winter, and when you have no heat, and only cold air blowing out it reduces visibility to almost zero. Why isn't GM recalling this part? hundreds of people are having this problem. I don't feel this is an effective way to keep an honest business running. Please make a recall on this problem and reimburse people for the cost.

- Osceola, IN, USA

Nov 012011

Torrent 6-cyl

I own a 06 Pontiac Torrent and just recently the heater and defroster quit working. After having it fixed and paying 200 and driving it 5 miles, I woke up the next day to go to work to have no heat or defrost again to have it diagnosed again and be told that the heater blend door was broken and it would cost around $600 to be fixed. After much research I have found that there are thousands of Torrent owners with the same problem, as well as Chevrolet equinox owners. This is a serious visibility issue, with no way to clear our windows of fog and frost in these colder months. Although I have not heard of any deaths or injuries resulting from this obvious design flaw, I believe it is just a matter of time. Please help!!!!

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Nov 092011

Torrent

Started driving and there was no heat; only cold air, in Colorado 27 degree weather. Discovered the heater blend door broke, and there are countless complaints about this on this car. Appears to be a known defect. The part cost $50. But the repair will cost $1500. The entire dash has to be removed, and heater box and hoses disconnected. Please help get this as a recall! serious safety issue in cold weather if defect occurs!!!!

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Oct 202010

Torrent

I own a 06 Pontiac Torrent and just recently the heater and defroster quit working. After having it diagnosed I was told that the heater blend door was broken and it would cost around $1000 to be fixed. After much research I have found that there are thousands of Torrent owners with the same problem, as well as Chevrolet equinox owners. This is a serious visibility issue, with no way to clear our windows of fog and frost in these colder months. Although I have not heard of any deaths or injuries resulting from this obvious design flaw, I believe it is just a matter of time. Please help!!!!

- Reading, MI, USA