NHTSA — Electronic Stability Control Problems

2007 Pontiac Torrent (Page 2 of 3)

2007 Pontiac Torrent brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac Torrent:

2007 Pontiac Torrent Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 052014

Torrent 6-cyl

Been having recurring problems as follows: Engine fails at high and low rates of speed. Dashboard reads "starting disabled service throttle, " "service stabilitrac, " and "engine power reduced." check engine light comes on. My temporary remedy is to disconnect the battery. (same problem occurs more predominantly, it seems, with 2007 Chevy equinox.) purchased at 87,000 miles. First occurrence for me at about 92,000 miles. Repair garage said was a loose battery cable. Apparently not. Next occurrence was at around 94,000 miles while passing through a one-lane construction zone where crews were working. I was able to get to auto parts store for diagnostic reading. Their reading showed codes P0601 and C0561. I see that numerous other owners have taken their vehicles for service, but received negative results and incorrect repairs. This is a very dangerous situation. Not only are my life and my family's lives at risk, but also the lives of many other drivers, especially with numerous affected vehicles on the roadways. When will we get these issues resolved" who has to pay the highest price before these problems are remedied? is this really the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration? we have a problem, we are telling you about it. Why are there no investigations on the site? when can we expect answers? look across numerous other online forums and find that there are thousands of affected vehicles and potential victims. Action must be taken. I wonder if my local news troubleshooter finds this story worthy of immediate publication"

- La Grange, KY, USA

Apr 292014

Torrent 6-cyl

The service stability traction control light comes on. This happened not too long after I purchased vehicle. Took to dealership was told nothing appeared wrong. This has happened on and off ever since. This time it stayed on for approximately 2 days, and appears to happen if I hit a small bump in the road. Thing they should recall it to be fixed.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Dec 142013

Torrent

Service stabilitrak and traction control come on always while on the freeway. Traction control will turn itself off. Not long after these lights come on, the check engine light will come on as well. All seem to clear themselves after a couple of days. By the time I am able to have it ran for a code the lights are already off. This has happened on several occasion and very concerned about transporting my 2 year old in this car. I have had to also replace the battery already 4 times in the car and have the fuel pump module replaced twice as well.

- Visalia, CA, USA

Dec 022013

Torrent

I purchased my 2007 Torrent new, my service traction control light, traction control off has been coming on since I bought it. The performance and handling were not affected, it ran with no problems. I took it to the dealer to inquire about this problem. I was told it will reset itself and it did, no problem. Beginning of December 2013, I was attempting to merge into traffic moving about 50mph, my Torrent had no problem merging before, as I began to enter the traffic there were three dings, traction control off. This time engine power reduced, totally unexpected. The Torrent would not accelerate above 15 mph, it felt like the brakes were holding the vehicle back the engine was revving at 4000 RPM. Turned off car, waited a minute restarted, ran fine. Engine power reduced comes on a daily basis. I can't trust this vehicle now!

- Elmwood Park, IL, USA

Dec 042013

Torrent 6-cyl

I cut my car on this morning and the service traction control, service stabilitrac, and ABS lights were on. They stayed on throughout my drive to take my son to and from school. I just got this vehicle last night and the dealer said everything checked out fine as car was placed "GM on a roll inspection". it was checked 2 days in a row and I have the paperwork showing as nothing wrong. I check on it today online and it seems to be a common issue with this vehicle.

- Pelion, SC, USA

Oct 042012

Torrent

The car displayed traction control and stabilitrack warning on Oct. 4, 2012 for a few hours and then it was gone. On Nov. 17, 2013, it came back and remains on.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Sep 012011

Torrent

We have been having recurring problems with what appears to be the electrical system in our Torrent. First appeared as "service stabilitrak", which resulted in the engine powering down while I was driving. Not very safe. I contacted GM and they had the dealer repair it by replacing the throttle body, stating this was a common problem but they did not issue a recall. It appeared to be okay for about a year, then the problem resurfaced. About 4 months ago, the "service stabilitrak" light came on again and the transmission began acting up (appeared to be slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear). After some research, we learned, again, that this is a common issue with the Torrents. We replaced the egr valve, reset the computer and the problem seemed to have resolved again. Now, the "service stabilitrak" light is on yet again, my radio has stopped working, and the "service brake system" light comes on and off. This is very frustrating. Clearly there is a problem with the Torrent and Chevy equinox which GM is well aware of. They refuse to issue a recall to rectify the problem and are allowing the cost for all of these repairs to lay with the consumer. Something must be done about this. We do not have the money to purchase a new vehicle, nor do we have the funds to continually make repairs. There needs to be some accountability here by GM.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Sep 052013

Torrent

I felt the car shutter a little and then the steering locked up while driving home on the highway. Also, the stability/traction light stays on. My car only has 21000 miles on it and is still practically new.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Aug 012013

Torrent 6-cyl

Stability control light comes one when going above 65 mph a small bump will cause the light to come on and the stability control and traction are disabled at this time. This will reset after the vehicle sits over night and then will with out warning come back on again and disable the stabilitrak and traction control while driving.

- Hinton, IA, USA

Jul 162008

Torrent

While driving, numerous dash lights came on. Vehicle began to buck and shake. As suddenly as it began it stopped. Several days passed until the condition occurred again. Took vehicle to dlr for service. Advise of no problems found; was told to take a picture when it recurred. As suggested I took pictures of the incident. Dlr advised he couldn't determine condition from picture. However, GM had released a tsb with infor that could resolve problem. That worked for several months. Had an independent repair facility check for the same problems; they replaced plugs and wires.that lasted 2 months. They replaced a module. That lasted for about 9 months now the problem comes and goes. No one can pinpoint the exact problem for the lights coming on.

- Apopka, FL, USA

May 112013

Torrent

My vehicle's brakes began to lock as I was driving down the interstate at 70 mph. This happened when I tapped the brakes to turn off the cruise control. It happened again on the interstate 2 days later in stop-and-go traffic - brakes lock while the vehicle is moving. Let off the gas and it stops itself with very bad shaking. This is a very serious problem. It has happened every day since under stop-and-start conditions and it gets worse and worse until the brakes are completely locked. Vehicle will not move once brakes lock unless it is turned off for approximately 30 minutes. "service traction control" light comes on after this happens. ABS sensor has been replaced for $700 to no avail. In addition, I see a recall for the gas tank. I also had that problem about a year ago - gas was leaking from my tank, but since I live in Louisiana the recall does not apply to my vehicle. That was a $1000 repair, but that's better than it catching on fire, I suppose.

- Prairieville, LA, USA

Apr 292013

Torrent 4-cyl

While driving my stabitrak light came on causing all tires to lock up. I was unable to steer vehicle safely, steering wheel was nearly impossible to turn. All 4 brakes locked up and loud grinding noise could be heard. Vehicle top speed dropped abruptly to 11 mph while traveling on busy interstate. Vehicle started jumping forward and wheels/tires would not turn. I was able to pull vehicle off interstate, to a safe location, within a couple minutes, by using emergency brake, and found brakes and rotors were on fire with flames visable and tires were smoking heavily. The dash light were blinking "service stabitrak" and "traction control off." This incident caused significant damage to my vehicle. This vehicle has not been in any accidents and is used soley on paved roads. There a several hundred other online complaints from owners of same vehicle, with same problem.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jul 012008

Torrent 6-cyl

This car has electrical problem every year!!!! the passenger windows won't work and the car won't start this happens every few weeks!!!!

- Canoga Park, CA, USA

Aug 042012

Torrent 6-cyl

The stabilitrak and traction control warnings started coming on last August 2012. The vehicle stayed parked most of 2012 since the problem persist and we didn't have means to pay for a repair like that. We got a letter in October 2012 about a recall due to a faulty plastic part on the fuel tank. We had that replaced and thought the warnings would go away but they haven't. I went back to work in January 2013, and the problem has only gotten worst! this is our primary car now and it's scary when you have two kids in the vehicle and the engine power is reduced while on the freeway! we almost got into a number of accidents because of this problem. Just today 02/25/2013, the vehicle started feeling like it was going to die. I had to pull over on the freeway, turn off the car and wait for it to settle down. The vehicle started up as if nothing happened. There is no reason why this should happen in California when the weather conditions are no where near triggering the controls. I've read a lot of reviews of other consumers having the same problem with their 2007 Pontiac Torrent and I hope GM is prepared for another recall!

- San Jose, CA, USA

May 212012

Torrent

My car started stalling when driving, then after that I started smelling heavy gas fumes while driving and when car is parked its smells like gas really strong.

- Accokeeke, MD, USA

Feb 282010

Torrent

I have had an issue with this vehicle ongoing since I purchased it. The actual first that the company has documented is 2/2010, 3/2011, and currently 2/2012. First the stabilitrak light comes on then shortly after the engine light comes on then you loose power to the vehicle and cannot accelerate and it is difficult to direct. I have contacted GM on two occasions regarding this issue. It appears that others are having this issue as I googled the info on the problem. I am not asking GM for something for nothing I am only asking them to find out why this is an ongoing problem, obviously there is a defect in the car somewhere to have this occur every year around the same time. I am currently under the powetrain warranty but that will expire in may of this year and this cost anywhere from $600-$800. This problem can be very dangerous and they seem to fail to see the dangers in it. You loose all power to the vehicle!!!! what is not dangerous about that. You don't have much of a warning because once that light comes on that's it...wouldn't be a problem if you are close to home but both times I was approx. 200 miles from home. I only ask them to either fix the issue or replace the vehicle!!!!!

- Ashland, KY, USA

Dec 312009

Torrent 6-cyl

For approx.2 year I have been having numerous problems with the stabiltrak, ABS, and check engine lights coming on. I have had it to the dealer multiple times with no resolution. I recently got it back again 2 weeks ago following repair. I now have an issue with the vehicle skipping out and jerking the car like it wants to quit when getting to a speed of 35 to 40 mph. It is again in the shop for repair. I was told that the problem 2 weeks ago was a spark plug and wire, and had to pay to get it fixed, and it is still not repaired. I have been taking this vehicle in for repair for 2 years while it was still under warranty and now it is in the extended warranty which there is a deductible each time. This should have been resolved a long time ago and it is still not repaired. There is only 36500 miles on this car and should not be having such severe issues. Why has this not been recalled? it appears many customers are having the same issues for some time now.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Sep 052011

Torrent

After driving the stabliltrak comes on, traction comes on, powering engine down comes on. Vehicle loses power.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Sep 032010

Torrent

I had a 2007 Torrent. In 2010 I had replaced 3 wheel bearings, breaks, and in February my power steering module went out. This was the first time. I got in my car to leave a friends and I could not turn my wheel. Took it to a dealer and they said the electric power steering module went out. Cost 870 and the day they were done fixing that a massive recall was done on most GMC cars for electrical power steering modules except mine. About 6 months later I was driving to work and my power steering went out again except this time I was driving around a corner. This locked up my tires and sent me into a ditch sides ways which caused my car to rollover 3 times before it landed and stopped moving. During this my driver side door also came open on impact and the entire floor of the trunk part flew over the back sit and would of landed on my kids if I had not just dropped them off. It would of broke there necks the way it is just laying there not secured to nothing. I needed up with a separated shoulder, permanant damage to my back and neck. Was out of work for about 3 months and my car was completely totaled by my insurance company. No airbags deployed and the windshield didn't shatter but instead caved in like a spike only inches away from stabbing my face. This car is a death trap. I did everything in my power to keep this car safe and nothing I did worked. It needs to be pulled of the market.

- Prairie Du Rocher, IL, USA

Dec 082010

Torrent

2007 Pontiac Torrent AWD. Having failure of ABS, stabil-trac system, AWD. Problem is intermittent. Occurs randomly. Dealer said it was an "electrical problem" however, all of their solutions have yet to fix the issue. Problem has been occurring since Sept 2010, dealership has had car 3 times, and has not resolved. The latest incident occurred while going down a steep hill, and the failure occurred, the car slid down the hill (no ABS, no AWD, no stability control), almost hit another car at the bottom of the hill due to the failure of the above.

- Bradford, PA, USA