NHTSA — Electronic Stability Control Problems

2007 Pontiac Torrent (Page 1 of 3)

2007 Pontiac Torrent brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac Torrent:

2007 Pontiac Torrent Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 152016

Torrent

Airbag service light has been on for many months. It is cost prohibitive to have serviced since the dealership says it will cost about $1000 to run it down but that it is probably a sensor in the passenger seat. Stabilitrak service light comes on intermittently while driving but doesn't seem to affect the driving and check engine light has appeared at the same time as stabilitrak light started appearing. Check engine code is egr value needs replaced. My Torrent has 144,000 miles. For many months the ignition will not turn all the way off most of the time. Sometimes it turns off fine and other times I have to wait for a series of clicks before it will turn off all the way. I don't know if it is a computer issue or an ignition issue.

- Rolla, MO, USA

Jul 202015

Torrent

The passenger seat modular was replaced 7-20-2015. I kept old modular. Passenger lite would come on randomaly when stopped when moving with someone in seat when no one in seat.had seat reprogramed more than once. Finally had it replaced and it has never done it again...the problem started in early 2015

- Pekin, IL, USA

Apr 272016

Torrent

I purchased this vehicle a month ago and it was working fine. Multiple times since then the stabilitrak light comes on and off at random and my airbag doesn't work on the passenger side randomly. It goes on and off and says service airbag, but of course when I get it to a mechanic, it is not happening at that time so they can't do anything about it. I am worried about the safety in my car. I checked for recalls and there are recalls for the exact same issues I am experiencing with the airbag, but it does not cover my VIN, apparently. There is no rhyme or reason to when these lights come on and when things work and when they don't, it is completely at random.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Dec 052014

Torrent

"ignition switch" I am continually having problems with my ignition switch getting stuck, it takes a few minutes but there is usually a click and then it releases. It appears that this is an ongoing problem. My concern is that I am not sure what actually needs to be fixed. I have read enough reviews that it could not be the ignition switch that actually needs to be fixed, can you tell me what is it that has to be repaired so that I do not have to sink tons of money in trying to find out what is actually wrong with it. I have 176,000 miles on my car and I have loved this car. It is and has been a great car, not perfect but a great car. I think in the life of the car I have had to replace a faulty spark plug, a window motor on the drivers side and it is still sluggish so I don't think that was the only problem. The rear window wiper motor has went out. But I would like to at least know what it is that I need to repair on the ignition so I can get it properly repaired the first time as I see other people have had multiple items repaired and it was not really what needed to be. I also have problems with the stable track continually coming on, it will stay on for a while and then it will turn off and then come back on again. Thank-you for your help.

- Jacksonville Beach, FL, USA

Aug 112015

Torrent

Service stabilitrak light came on along with check engine light. Had code read at autozone. Told to replace egr valve. Stabilitrak light comes on every few days since and this still happens now. The check engine light came on again in 4 months and had to replace the egr valve again. Service stabilitrak light still comes on at least 3 times a week and will go off intermittently.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jan 082016

Torrent

The air bag for the passenger set will turn on and off at various times. It will be off when someone is sitting in the seat and on when nobody is in the seat. It does it sitting still as well as moving. The traction stabilizer will turn off when it is dry outside and I am driving. My key will get stuck in the ignition for about 30 to 45 minutes before I can pull it out.. I have to either sit in my car for that length of time or I have to leave the key in the ignition for that length of time and risk someone stealing my car.

- Scottsville, VA, USA

Dec 132015

Torrent

Bought in 2012, had about 43K miles on it. 2 years ago issue with stabitrack, took to autonomy shop, said it was a fuse. Paid $400* to replace. Over the past several months issues with stabitrack again. One point the traction control turned off and when that happened the reduce power and engine cuts off. This past weekend it happened again but this time when the engine turns on its a loud knocking noice and now the smell of oil. Taking it to a GM dealer because of all the issues. It has 113448 miles on it. I drive 64 round trip in one day back and forth to work. I cannot drive a veichlelike that on the highway. I'm hoping it's something simple but going to a dealer I know it won't be. Since now there is a smell of oil and the looks of something that has sprayed all over the engine area.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Aug 122015

Torrent

August 12 2015 the car doors began locking and unlocking on their own.the speedometer/tachometer began acting crazily on their own. A short time after, having not had steering issues before driver was shocked because the steering wheel malfunctioned (if she turned it left the steering wheel turned but not the vehicle, it kept going straight). She lowered speed and eventually the steering wheel started working.warning lights all wheel drive ABS service engine light had come on when the problem occurred. Husband drove car that night but couldn't find anything wrong. They took car to calkins Pontiac in burnham pa August 20th.calkins had it a few days.invoices can be sent.calkins found nothing but codes stored in history U0073 U0131 B3006 U0102.they couldn't reinvent the problem.they took car home husband was driving it when the same problems reoccurred. Car took a hard right turn as if someone reached over and yanked the car to the right. The wheel would not turn back. It locked up.before almost hitting guard rail the wheel went back to normal. Up the road it happened again several times.they took car to calkins again on 25th.they paid $490 this time to replace the body control module. Sept 11, 12th, 17th however same problems happened. At this point the car can't be driven due to safety but owners need to use vehicle. It has only 99,157 miles on it. The website carcomplaints.com has many pages of similar complaints filed by drivers.(www.carcomplaints.com/Pontiac/Torrent/2007/steering/sterring.shtml). this is a serious safety steering issue. Who can assist to have this fixed so vehicle can be used? we can't trade it in and risk someone else losing their life. Our last recent visit to calkins showed the same code history.on 10/13 calkins said they would get back to us the next day but as of today 10/20 they never contacted us.

- Lewistown, PA, USA

Sep 292015

Torrent

Traction control light came on while raining; causing traction not to be good

- Vincennes, IN, USA

Jul 312015

Torrent

Purchased vehicle 2 months ago from a GM dealer. Within 1 month, stabilization track and traction control lights came on. No apparent lose of power. Took to be diagnosed. Egr sensor replaced. Drove for another 2 or 3 days, same lights came back on, in addition to check engine light. Hadn't even gotten emissions done yet, so had to get it repaired. Egr replaced. Drove for another month, same lights back on. Now sluggish. Lights go off after car sits for a period. Will take to a GM dealer for repair. Costly!

- Aurora, CO, USA

Apr 102012

Torrent

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac Torrent. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp and service stability traction control warning lamp flashed and remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop and the technician reset the codes, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who test drove the vehicle, but the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 07V344000 (air bags), but was included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The contact was unable to determine if the dealer completed the recall repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Coolidge , AZ, USA

Mar 142015

Torrent 6-cyl

Purchased car new in 2007. After one week the battery died and had it replaced. No problems until 2015 when the right passenger tire will not register pressure, other tires do. Then the passenger seat light will not functioned, no matter who sits in the seat. On March 14, 2015 the stabilitrak, traction warning lights came on. Car lost power on busy road with two children in back seat. Limped to a repair shop, and was fixed"?" to a cost of $639. Since then warning lights go on and off at various times, sometimes for a few hours, sometimes for days. I note that this problem has been noted by over 100 other owners. Thought I would add to the list. Scary....can't afford new car, nor the 1000's of $'s shops want to repair.

- Wautoma, WI, USA

Nov 012013

Torrent

We purchased this vehicle in 2010 used with approximately 45,000 miles on it. After about 4-5 months, we received the first "service traction control" and "stabilitrak off" came up in the information center. I continued to drive it, which the manual says you can do, and after awhile it went off. The "service engine" light however has stayed on ever since. Roll forward to November, 2014. I was driving fine at about 60 miles an hour, when all of sudden the vehicle kicks my cruise control off and slows me down to about 20mph in just a few seconds! I was unable to go any faster and vehicle ran very sluggish and jumping, etc. Finally, after driving at about 10 mph for 15 miles, I made it home and parked the vehicle. Had the vehicle towed in and there were lots of codes on the system and the main thing was that the alternator was shot. They also replaced fuel sensor. After $450, the vehicle seemed okay. Unfortunately a week ago, the stabilitrak and service traction control light came on again and the vehicle has been having glitches in power ever since, but still nothing where I can't drive it. However, coming out of my driveway a couple of days ago, and speeding up to 55, the "reduced engine power" light came on and I lost power immediately with basically no warning. I couldn't go any faster than 5-10mph. After getting back home and letting it sit all day and starting it again, no lights are on except "check engine" which will always stay on, and it is running fine again. This is definitely a safety hazard, since this could happen in heavy traffic and cause an accident! I hate to take it back in for repair since it seems like they just fix whatever they want, but that it would probably run fine anyway, until the next time this happens out of the blue! not good, not good at all. What is it going to take for this to be looked into more?

- Kiester, MN, USA

Nov 272014

Torrent 6-cyl

While driving approx. 70 mph on interstate I-75 a light came on the dash that stated stabilitrak is off and engine speed will be reduced at which time the car jerked to a sudden slow down almost causing an accident with the car behind me. Car was shut off and restarted then seemed to run fine again until today 1-14 in which it did the same thing again. This is very dangerous, as I thought this may be a "safe" car for my child to drive. This is not the case. In looking on the internet, it seems that several if not hundreds of people are having this same issue. Why hasn't it been recalled" does she have to be in an accident before something can be done??"

- Pontiac, MI, USA

Nov 252014

Torrent 6-cyl

Just got this Torrent three weeks ago, yesterday while driving home from work on the freeway, the traction control light came on, and I lost a little power. I managed to make it home, then the service traction control, service stabilitrack, and the engine power is reduced lights came on. I am beyond upset, I got it from the dealership that I have done business with for years, I am waiting on them to open this morning to give them a call. The first day I got the car the service passenger air bag came on, I took it back the next morning, and they replaced a module, now this!!!!! I'm reading where there have been numerous complaints about the same thing. This is very dangerous, why haven't there been recalls on this"?" here, I thought I was buying a dependable car for my family, only to be very disappointed! never again will I buy a Pontiac!!!!!

- Grandview, MO, USA

Jul 232014

Torrent 6-cyl

I purchased the Torrent in September of 2007. Since some time in 2008 the "service stabilitrak" caution light comes on infrequently. I notice that it seems to be when the vehicle has perhaps not been parked completely level. It usually resets but is an annoyance. I have not had a dealer diagnose this issue. The second issue is very recent; I would say within the last 60-90 days. The ignition does not want to release the key once the car is stopped and in park. I can usually get it out with some effort but sometimes have to turn the engine back on a few times and turn it off again. Incidents are becoming more frequent. Initially I thought it was the way I was removing the key but I am not driving the car any differently than I always have. Currently vehicle mileage is 46,062. I keep checking so see if my Pontiac is part of the GM ignition issue recall and it is not. I plan to have a dealer check this out but with the low mileage on my car it does not seem like a repair I should have to make; especially since the Torrent is a remodeled version of the equinox. As evidenced by the mileage, I do not drive my car a lot. Long distance trips are few and far between. The vehicle has had regular and appropriate service. No reduction in speed or loss of power issues have been noted with my car for either of the complaints listed herein.

- La Mesa, CA, USA

Aug 292014

Torrent

My vehicle would loose all electrical power and engine would turn off while traveling. All electrical and engine would stop for two to five seconds then come right back on. During that time my car became difficult to steer and decrease acceleration. Then everything would come right back on. My clock would have to be reset. Then this morning my car would not start and lost all power. The vehicle would not turn over nor make no sounds. When I try to put the key in off mode, the ignition key would not go into turn off mode. All the doors were locked and would not open, accept for drivers door was unlock. A few hours went by then tried again and the vehicle started. I was able to take the key out of the ignition. The electronic stability control warning light is on. At this time I can not trust this vehicle however need transportation back and forth to work. Please help!

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Jun 022014

Torrent 6-cyl

We purchased the 2007 Pontiac Torrent on 10/02/2013. The test drive seemed to be fine. We drove the car in the city. The average speed limit is 25-35. We only drive the car to and from work and almost of the time to various drives. When I had to use highway 95 in Delaware the car began pulling back and would not shift and from 40-55 (60) the car does not shift from 35-60 all of the time. We had to take the vehicle for inspection on 06/18/2014 we had the vehicle for 6-7 months. The 2007 Torrent failed (when we had only owned it 5-6 mths). PF9-return mvxcs20P, mvxcs30M, we had no choice but, to have the car repaired that day. Certified automotive and diagnosed ( malfunction indicator lamp ) aka service engine includes the scanning of computer codes inmemory comparing da ta stream-clearing memory-performing retest for hard codes. Diagnose vehicle failed dmv emissions had 2 codes: P0404-P0405 both of which are associated with egr position error which caused the failure of the egr exhaust gas recirculation valve. The egrv (egr valve assembly) and the egrp (exhaust gas recirculation valve inlet pipe & gasket ( $402.84 ) diagnostic codes C0561, P0404, & P0405. Prior to returning to the dmv we had to go on 95 and drive the car for a minimum of 20 minutes prior to pass inspection. Confirmed fix summary 21 - exhaust gas recirculation (egr) valve, 1 - exhaust gas recirculation (egr) passages, 1 - exhaust recirculation wiring. Command egr valve opens and idle at times will stall.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Jul 072012

• 1,100,000 miles
The 1st thing that happened was the stability trac warning came on, took to the dealership, they could not find anything wrong and reset, this happened several more times until I took it to the local garage and they replaced a sensor. After that the cruise control went out, was intermittent until it no longer works and they have not been able to determine the problem, so I have been without for a year. The next thing to go was the drivers side tail light, I have had the bulb replaced 4 times, it lasts about a day, the drivers side running lights went, bulb replaced several times, the shop has not been able to determine why, the code states an electrical problem, so I drive without drivers side running lights. Have been pulled over several times by police officers, they say they understand and told me to get in touch with GMC, which I have done. Still no result. Oh and I have taken it to the dealership, they cannot determine, but offered to find and repair for $700 and if GMC extends a recall, I will be reimbursed, so apparently in my estimations, they know the problem exists. What I am and have been going through reads very much like problems with other GMC products that have been recalled.

- Waxhaw, NC, USA

Jul 212007

Torrent 6-cyl

The Pontiac Torrents have the same malfunctions as other vehicle listed for the following; traction control, electronic- stability control and panic -braking features. Vehicle in question; 2004-12. Chevrolet Malibu 2004 - 07, Malibu maxx 2005 - 10, Pontiac G6 and Saturn aura 2007 - 10. Please investigate the Pontiac Torrent.

- Apopka, FL, USA