NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

1.5

2007 Pontiac Torrent electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac Torrent:

2007 Pontiac Torrent Owner Comments

Dec 052014

Torrent

"ignition switch" I am continually having problems with my ignition switch getting stuck, it takes a few minutes but there is usually a click and then it releases. It appears that this is an ongoing problem. My concern is that I am not sure what actually needs to be fixed. I have read enough reviews that it could not be the ignition switch that actually needs to be fixed, can you tell me what is it that has to be repaired so that I do not have to sink tons of money in trying to find out what is actually wrong with it. I have 176,000 miles on my car and I have loved this car. It is and has been a great car, not perfect but a great car. I think in the life of the car I have had to replace a faulty spark plug, a window motor on the drivers side and it is still sluggish so I don't think that was the only problem. The rear window wiper motor has went out. But I would like to at least know what it is that I need to repair on the ignition so I can get it properly repaired the first time as I see other people have had multiple items repaired and it was not really what needed to be. I also have problems with the stable track continually coming on, it will stay on for a while and then it will turn off and then come back on again. Thank-you for your help.

- Jacksonville Beach, FL, USA

Jan 012012

Torrent 6-cyl

Wiring harness between body & driver's door is too short, & subsequently stretches, frays & breaks the wires, resulting in failure of various door components: Power door lock, power window, side mirror control, door chime, & door stereo speakers. The passenger door probably has same issue, but since this door is used less, the issue occurs less often. There are numerous instances of this from hundreds of Pontiac Torrent owners, with photos, on the internet. It is very disconcerting to know that so many others have had the same exact problem, yet there is no GM recall to correct a problem that is a definite design flaw, and not user error or other outside influence such as weather. Since I also had a problem with my sunroof not closing and sealing properly, I thought initially that the electrical problems in the door were from water running down into the door and shorting something out. (since there was also no recall on the sunroof, it would have cost over $800 to fix it. I had to caulk the seams with acrylic for outdoor use. I'm sure it will be a temporary fix due to the elements of sun and rain). Many owners of this vehicle challenged GM to repair or recall, to no avail. One dealer even blamed it on cold weather, but I live in Florida which is hot most of the time. GM social media bloggers often chimed in to contact GM, but when owners did so, nothing really happened regarding helping out owners with the issue nor the cost of repair. Many owners actually paid for or bought completely new wiring harnesses, which are very expensive for the part as well as expensive for the in-door installation. Others spliced their own wires to effect a solution. This issue is on a 2007 Torrent, but other years of that vehicle 2006-2009 are also affected, since they share many common components.

- Winter Springs, FL, USA

Jul 022014

Torrent 6-cyl

When turning the vehicle off the key sticks and will not return to the off position and cannot be removed. Usually restarting and driving the vehicle a few feet will allow the key to be turned to off and removed. This has occurred multiple times and is extremely annoying.

- Columbus, MS, USA

Feb 172015

Torrent 6-cyl

Key does not always come out of the ignition. Vehicle is driven and when stopped the key will not come out. Steering wheel is not locked. When I called the dealership and told them the problem, I was told that I need to stop the vehicle always on a flat surface, put the car in park, pull the emergency brake, then turn the key and it will come out that way. That is ridiculous and it doesn't work.

- Hanover, PA, USA

Feb 232011

Torrent

The wires which power the door window motor, electric locks and door speakers broke inside the rubber boot assembly which attaches the wire harness to the door and the door frame. Performing an online google search indicates this problem is endemic to the 2006-2009 Pontiac Torrent. I have repaired the wires in the harness but they broke again, January of 2015. I feel this is a safety issue that needs to be investigated.

- Greenwood, MO, USA

Aug 292014

Torrent

My vehicle would loose all electrical power and engine would turn off while traveling. All electrical and engine would stop for two to five seconds then come right back on. During that time my car became difficult to steer and decrease acceleration. Then everything would come right back on. My clock would have to be reset. Then this morning my car would not start and lost all power. The vehicle would not turn over nor make no sounds. When I try to put the key in off mode, the ignition key would not go into turn off mode. All the doors were locked and would not open, accept for drivers door was unlock. A few hours went by then tried again and the vehicle started. I was able to take the key out of the ignition. The electronic stability control warning light is on. At this time I can not trust this vehicle however need transportation back and forth to work. Please help!

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Jul 072012

• 1,100,000 miles

The 1st thing that happened was the stability trac warning came on, took to the dealership, they could not find anything wrong and reset, this happened several more times until I took it to the local garage and they replaced a sensor. After that the cruise control went out, was intermittent until it no longer works and they have not been able to determine the problem, so I have been without for a year. The next thing to go was the drivers side tail light, I have had the bulb replaced 4 times, it lasts about a day, the drivers side running lights went, bulb replaced several times, the shop has not been able to determine why, the code states an electrical problem, so I drive without drivers side running lights. Have been pulled over several times by police officers, they say they understand and told me to get in touch with GMC, which I have done. Still no result. Oh and I have taken it to the dealership, they cannot determine, but offered to find and repair for $700 and if GMC extends a recall, I will be reimbursed, so apparently in my estimations, they know the problem exists. What I am and have been going through reads very much like problems with other GMC products that have been recalled.

- Waxhaw, NC, USA

Jan 132014

Torrent 6-cyl

Air bag service light illuminated on the dash. Service air bag message appeared in drivers information center. Also note that the air bag will go on off intermittently with someone in the seat. A 200 pound man sitting in the seat should render the airbag operational, however, it stays off and light on. This is a severe safety issue that in the event of a crash the airbag will not deploy/operate correctly. Its ridiculous and standard for GM to not acknowledge this is a problem and fixing it until someone is killed. This is not an expense a vehicle owner should be expected to pay when it is an obvious/ blatant defect.

- Jacksonville, AR, USA

Mar 102013

Torrent 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac Torrent. The contact stated that the ignition key failed to release from the ignition switch until after awaiting thirty minutes with repeated attempts. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who was unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 74,000. Updated 09/02/14 updated 09/16/2014

- Grenn Valley, AZ, USA

Dec 142013

Torrent

Service stabilitrak and traction control come on always while on the freeway. Traction control will turn itself off. Not long after these lights come on, the check engine light will come on as well. All seem to clear themselves after a couple of days. By the time I am able to have it ran for a code the lights are already off. This has happened on several occasion and very concerned about transporting my 2 year old in this car. I have had to also replace the battery already 4 times in the car and have the fuel pump module replaced twice as well.

- Visalia, CA, USA

Dec 042013

Torrent 6-cyl

I cut my car on this morning and the service traction control, service stabilitrac, and ABS lights were on. They stayed on throughout my drive to take my son to and from school. I just got this vehicle last night and the dealer said everything checked out fine as car was placed "GM on a roll inspection". it was checked 2 days in a row and I have the paperwork showing as nothing wrong. I check on it today online and it seems to be a common issue with this vehicle.

- Pelion, SC, USA

Sep 012011

Torrent

We have been having recurring problems with what appears to be the electrical system in our Torrent. First appeared as "service stabilitrak", which resulted in the engine powering down while I was driving. Not very safe. I contacted GM and they had the dealer repair it by replacing the throttle body, stating this was a common problem but they did not issue a recall. It appeared to be okay for about a year, then the problem resurfaced. About 4 months ago, the "service stabilitrak" light came on again and the transmission began acting up (appeared to be slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear). After some research, we learned, again, that this is a common issue with the Torrents. We replaced the egr valve, reset the computer and the problem seemed to have resolved again. Now, the "service stabilitrak" light is on yet again, my radio has stopped working, and the "service brake system" light comes on and off. This is very frustrating. Clearly there is a problem with the Torrent and Chevy equinox which GM is well aware of. They refuse to issue a recall to rectify the problem and are allowing the cost for all of these repairs to lay with the consumer. Something must be done about this. We do not have the money to purchase a new vehicle, nor do we have the funds to continually make repairs. There needs to be some accountability here by GM.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Jul 012008

Torrent 6-cyl

This car has electrical problem every year!!!! the passenger windows won't work and the car won't start this happens every few weeks!!!!

- Canoga Park, CA, USA

Oct 102012

Torrent 6-cyl

I was on my way to work and I started smelling gas that was not my first time but the car had never just stopped on me before but this time it cut off and would not start back up so I thought it was my starter but I know now that it was not my starter by what GM said about the recall I surrendered my car cause I could not afford to make my payments and get my car repaired if I would have known what was going on I would have been took it to the dealer I spent a lot of money on that car I feel that it is only right for me to be reimbursed for now I am without a car so I need some kind of reimbursement.

- Midland, TX, USA

Dec 312009

Torrent 6-cyl

For approx.2 year I have been having numerous problems with the stabiltrak, ABS, and check engine lights coming on. I have had it to the dealer multiple times with no resolution. I recently got it back again 2 weeks ago following repair. I now have an issue with the vehicle skipping out and jerking the car like it wants to quit when getting to a speed of 35 to 40 mph. It is again in the shop for repair. I was told that the problem 2 weeks ago was a spark plug and wire, and had to pay to get it fixed, and it is still not repaired. I have been taking this vehicle in for repair for 2 years while it was still under warranty and now it is in the extended warranty which there is a deductible each time. This should have been resolved a long time ago and it is still not repaired. There is only 36500 miles on this car and should not be having such severe issues. Why has this not been recalled? it appears many customers are having the same issues for some time now.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Oct 012011

Torrent

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac Torrent. The contact stated that the speedometer was reading inaccurately. If she was traveling at 55 mph it would read 90 mph. If the vehicle was stopped it would read that she was traveling 35 mph. The dealer advised the contact that she would need to replace the entire instrument panel. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but no repairs were performed. The current mileage was 96,473 and the approximate failure mileage was 95,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Laurel Springs , NC, USA

Sep 052011

Torrent

After driving the stabliltrak comes on, traction comes on, powering engine down comes on. Vehicle loses power.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

May 202009

Torrent 6-cyl

Stabilitrak warning door locks problems pax airbag warning 2007 Pontiac Torrent.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 132010

Torrent

I own a 2007 Pontiac Torrent and I was having trouble with my drivers side window not working and also the auto lock on my door(even with the keyless remote. It turns out that the wire harness had 4 broken wires and 1 more that was almost broken all the way thru. We were told that we were lucky that a fire did not start!

- Westmont, IL, USA

Jul 162007

Torrent

The date is the first incident, had several after that. I owned the vehicle 8 days when the stabilization, traction control, anti-lock brake lights came on, so I took it to the dealer, they said it was a speed sensor, they would order part. I took it back to get it fixed, 30 minutes later same problem again, lights came on, so I went back, they assured me they fixed it and it was a quote "lights only" issue. A month later took it back again and low and behold the same code came up again, so either they fixed a bad part with a bad part or else they didn't really fix it. It also had been running in all wheel drive the whole time, which they told me it wasn't the first time. I still didn't feel safe so took it to a different dealer and they checked and said the steering computer needed reprogrammed, but on mygmlink.com it said they replaced the steering computer and the gas cap. Here it is 02/06/08 and another issue came up, dead battery.

- Mercer, PA, USA