NHTSA — Electronic Stability Control Problems

2.5

2008 Pontiac Torrent brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac Torrent:

2008 Pontiac Torrent Owner Comments

Jan 012015

Torrent

My air bag light on passenger side is not at all working. Off when someone is sitting in the seat. Now my electrical system makes all lights on my dash to come on. Traction control, check engine light, air bag, and so on and so on. Took car to service center and they said nothing was wrong..

- Natrona Heights, PA, USA

Apr 122011

Torrent

Service stabilitrac light came on every time the car was under hard or full throttle on dry pavement. Unit taken to the dealer under warranty and I was sent a bill to test the unit and told that unit needed a new mass air flow sensor. Took unit home, mass air flow tested out fine. I replaced the sensor one month later and the problem still exists to this date. I have tested every sensor related to the stabilitrac system on this unit and all are fine. General Motors has an issue with this stabiltrac system but is failing to admit. Research on multiple GM products verifies a consistent issue across the board. This should be a safety recall as it shuts down many of the installed safety systems when the service stabiltrac light comes on and the stabilitrac goes inactive. I have worked on cars for over 35 years and keep up to date on how newer systems function. I am not bitter towards GM as I have owned over 20 GM products in my life. This along with the steering issues need to be a safety recall before too many lives are injured or lost to force their hand on the recalls.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Nov 252015

Torrent

As I started my vehicle I noticed a message saying to service stabilitrack control. I tried pressing the button to take it off but nothing.

- Kennett, MO, USA

Aug 152015

Torrent

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac Torrent. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The electronic stability control and traction control warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Goodrich, MI, USA

Jul 182013

Torrent

Lights on the dashboard are constantly coming on. Over the past 3 years, I constantly have problems with the "check engine"; "service stabilitrak"; and "service traction control" lights coming on. I live in pa and was driving to Mississippi when it first happened and needless to say I panicked. I called back home to my dealership and was told I should be okay until I got home, that I only needed to be concerned if the roads were wet. It was on the entire trip and by the time I got home and went to the dealership, it turned off. They could not tell me why. Now it comes on whenever it wants to and stays on for days. Then it goes off for a few days and then comes on again. No rhyme or reason as to what causes it. I'm concerned that it may be causing a bigger problem. Not happy that I have not been able to get any resolve to this.

- Bellefonte, PA, USA

Jan 022015

Torrent

For months the airbag, traction control and seatbelt lights have lit intermittently and stayed on for a few minutes or a few days. Sometimes they light immediately upon starting the vehicle or they might light up in a few minutes or in an hour or two. When there is a front seat passenger the airbag light stays on at least until the passenger gets out. After seeing the recalls for the 2007 Torrent, I believe GM has known all along about these issues and several recalls should have been issued for the 2008 Torrent.

- Warren, OH, USA

Jul 152009

Torrent 6-cyl

Aside from ignition key being stuck in ignition switch, which is still that way, the engine shut off. On highway speed of 70mph. Also, the passenger air bag shows it being off.

- Mishawaka, IN, USA

Dec 202013

Torrent

I had to replace my tires very early on due to premature wear (I think about 35K miles) so that is the first issue. After changing my tires, I noticed the vehicle's traction control seems to fail. I will be at a dead stop and go to accelerate when my tires slip and the traction flashes. I had my tires looked at and they were deemed to be fine. Now that it is snowing, it was at its worst today. It was fishtailing while I was driving on snow/icy roads and the tires won't grip the road at all for the first 400 feet or so every single time I go from a stop. This is ridiculous and I shouldn't be afraid to drive my vehicle. I felt more comfortable driving my Pontiac vibe or Grand Am in snow than this and they didn't have traction control!! nobody is taking this seriously, but I see other reports. There should be an immediate recall!!!

- Marysville, WA, USA

Oct 082013

Torrent

The first night I noticed the "service stabilitrak" light on the dashboard. The next night my battery completely died and I had to buy another one. Then, the dashboard said "service stabilitrak" sometimes and sometimes the brake light came on or it said "service traction control." From what I'm gathering online this is a common problem that will eventually lead to my "reduced engine power" light coming on and my speed will be limited to something like 10-20 mph and I'm afraid because I already work overnight and away from home. I only have a little over 56K miles on the truck and I got it a year ago with 24K miles on it. If the problem is this common, why is the vehicle not recalled? the dealership charges $80 to even put the car on the computer to see the problem...

- Lexington, MS, USA